Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

166 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

NEWS PAPER OR MEDIA ARTICLES, ANYTHING INTERESTING
nipper
post Posted: Oct 17 2019, 11:54 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: early birds's post @ Oct 17 2019, 11:38 AM

Son & Drivers Licence - best thing ever for me! (he was a swimmer, training was 6 days a week 5:30-7:00am.)

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

Said 'Thanks' for this post: early birds  

early birds
post Posted: Oct 17 2019, 11:38 AM
  Quote Post

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/forget-re...6?mod=home-page

6. Your son just got his driver’s license.

=============================

i reckon it should be the No1 on the list. sadsmiley02.gif

mullokintyre
post Posted: Oct 17 2019, 11:31 AM
  Quote Post

Paris zoo has showcased a mysterious new organism, dubbed the "blob", a yellowish unicellular small living being which looks like a fungus but acts like an animal.

FromABC NEWS

This newest exhibit of the Paris Zoological Park, which will go on display to the public this weekend, has no mouth, no stomach, no eyes, yet it can detect food and digest it.

The blob also has almost 720 sexes, can move without legs or wings and heals itself in two minutes if cut in half.

"The blob is a living being which belongs to one of nature's mysteries", said Bruno David, director of the Paris Museum of Natural History, of which the Zoological Park is part.

"It surprises us because it has no brain but is able to learn.

"If we put it in a maze, it will learn and take the best route out of the maze to find its food. If we put an obstacle in front of it — the blob hates salt, for example — it won't get past it right away, even if there is food behind it.

"Then the blob will learn how to get past the barrier and get to its food, and it will start to do this more quickly and more strongly.

"If we fuse two blobs together, the one which learned will transmit its knowledge to the other, and so, it will know directly how to get past this barrier."

Sounds like the description of a Government to me.

Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

henrietta
post Posted: Oct 17 2019, 08:28 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: blacksheep's post @ Oct 16 2019, 07:06 PM

I just love all these movie actors and sportsmen, once they've made their hundreds of millions and are quite comfortable thank you, suddenly becoming concerned experts on how to save the planet.

Uneducated, hit-seeking , self-opinionated, smug, fools.

Cheers
J

Said 'Thanks' for this post: early birds  Pendragon  

neilo3
post Posted: Oct 17 2019, 05:33 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: blacksheep's post @ Oct 16 2019, 08:19 PM

Also the fact that he says that agriculture is the worst pollutant....who is going to grow his plant based foods if it is not agriculture..

blacksheep
post Posted: Oct 16 2019, 08:19 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Oct 16 2019, 08:06 PM

What about the cricket, footie, tennis and other elite sports ??? biggrin.gif gawd I hope they all don't go vegan on us to save the planet

--------------------
The herd instinct among forecasters makes sheep look like independent thinkers. Edgar Fiedler

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. George Washington

Said 'Thanks' for this post: early birds  

nipper
post Posted: Oct 16 2019, 08:06 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: blacksheep's post @ Oct 16 2019, 07:06 PM

if ever there was a misappropriation of resources, it would have to be driving fast round and round, for no point. then flying to another place and doing the same

"bread and circuses"

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

Said 'Thanks' for this post: triage  mullokintyre  

blacksheep
post Posted: Oct 16 2019, 07:06 PM
  Quote Post

I love F1 but this is just a little "weird"

Lewis Hamilton says vegan diet 'only way to save our planet'

Lewis Hamilton says vegan diet 'only way to save our planet'

Lewis Hamilton has urged his fans to go vegan and said he feels like “giving up on everything” due to his concerns about the environment.

The 34-year-old, who is on the verge of winning a sixth Formula One world title, spelt out his feelings about the state of the world in three posts on Instagram.

Hamilton switched to a plant-based diet in 2017 and in September he helped launch a vegan burger restaurant in London.

Hamilton wrote: “Hey world, I hope everyone’s enjoying their day. I’m sad right now with the thought of where this world is going.

“Extinction of our race becoming more and more likely as we over use our resources. The world is a messed up place. World leaders either uneducated or don’t care about the environment at all.

“Agriculture farming is the largest pullutant (sic) we currently have by over 50 per cent, far more than our travel industry combined. I’m sad to see so many people, even close friends ignore what is happening daily.

“Education is key and we were taught that eating animal products was good for us but we’ve been lied to for 100s of years.

“It’s taken me 32 years to understand the impact I am having on the world and I’m figuring out daily what I can do to play a better part. I want my life to mean something and honestly up until now my life’s had no meaning.

“Being a part of the issue is not meaningful. Being part of the solution is and I’m striving to do better.

“I urge you to do some research, find the compassion I know you have within you to recognise what you are contributing to in terms of what you eat which keeps the meat and dairy industry flourishing and therefore deforestation, animal cruelty, our seas and climate decaying on a daily basis.

“Go vegan, it is the only way to truly save our planet today. It can be done so quickly, all you have to do is put your mind to it.

“Honestly I feel like giving up on everything. Shut down completely. Why bother when the world is such a mess and people don’t seem to care. I’m going to take a moment away to gather my thoughts. Thank you to those of you who do give a damn about the world.”

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/...rns-957349.html

Has Lewis considered these statistics of his job?? Not sure Lewis going vegan will have a big impact on the environment. Maybe the fact he's helped launch a vegan burger restaurant in London is more the focus of his tweets? Just another high profile social media marketing influencer??

Formula One & Its Carbon Footprint

As word about this thing called global warming began to spread and the phrase “carbon footprint” became part of everyday conversations, Formula One decided it needed to make changes in order to become more relevant to the modern era — one in which some guy named Elon Musk was starting to actually sell electric cars that didn’t suck.

Beginning in 2014, Formula One opted for a new powertrain, one that was about 50% more efficient than the great bellowing V-10 engines that had ruled the sport previously. Each car now has a 1.6 liter turbocharged gasoline engine that puts out around 700 horsepower plus an electric motor that adds another 200 horsepower.

The electricity for the motor comes from a battery which is replenished by an MGU-K, or motor generating unit – kinetic, and an MGU-H, or motor generating unit – heat. The MGU-K is much like regenerative braking except it works only on the rear wheels. The MGU-H harvests heat from the engine and turns it into electricity.

The sport’s concern for lowering its carbon footprint is nothing more than greenwashing. While the powers that be are busy patting themselves on the back for taking action to protect the Earth, each of the 10 teams in Formula One spend almost as much time in the air and they do on the ground.

They each lug between 50 and 100 tons of cars, spare parts, and equipment to each of the 21 races on the calendar, covering more than 110,000 air miles every year. That teams don’t just travel with cars and mechanics. They bring ostentatious mobile headquarters and hospitality centers with them everywhere they go to impress local dignitaries and their high roller sponsors.

110,000 miles times 10 teams equals 1,100,000 miles. A 747 burns 5 gallons of jet fuel for every mile it flies. That’s 5.5 million gallons of jet fuel just to fly back and forth to races. Add in another 25% to get to testing venues, promotional events, and other special activities and you’re up to almost 7 million gallons. And that still doesn’t account for emissions from the factories, wind tunnels, and the 300 to 600 employees each team employs.

A gallon of jet fuel creates 21 pounds of carbon dioxide when it is burned, according to the Energy Information Agency. 21 pounds times 7 million gallons equals — wait, I have to get out my Radio Shack calculator for this one — a staggering 147 million pounds of carbon dioxide just so Formula One can bring “the show” to fans all over the world. The cars could be powered by pixie dust and Formula One would still be one of the biggest polluters on Earth.

All this so wealthy white men can become even richer. Bernie Ecclestone may have skimmed off the lion’s share of the money for himself, but the sport has made multi-millionaires out of scores of team owners over the years. In its pursuit of new markets and ever larger profits, the sport has become a temple to greed.

It has cozied up to brutal dictators in Azerbaijan and Bahrain, where dissidents are routinely rounded up and imprisoned before the Formula One circus comes to town. Hundreds of poor people in India were evicted from their homes to make way for a Formula One track. After two races, the Indian Grand Prix was cancelled. The poor didn’t get their land back, though.

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/04/30/the-gi...of-formula-one/

--------------------
The herd instinct among forecasters makes sheep look like independent thinkers. Edgar Fiedler

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. George Washington

mullokintyre
post Posted: Oct 16 2019, 08:29 AM
  Quote Post

I had not seen anything on this topic in the OZ press.
Could have a pretty big impact on exports to Indonesia.
Indonesia is all set to make halal labeling mandatory for consumer products and services from this week, but the high cost of securing the license and absence of clear guidelines mean millions of local producers are still without certificates.

The compulsory labeling will first apply to the food and beverage products and services from Oct. 17 before being gradually expanded to include drugs, cosmetics and other consumer goods, according to the nation’s Halal Product Guarantee Agency. But a large number of small and medium companies are struggling to meet the rules without detailed technical guidelines, the Indonesian Food and Beverage Producers Association said.

Fom Bloombergs

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

Said 'Thanks' for this post: early birds  nipper  

henrietta
post Posted: Oct 16 2019, 06:47 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Oct 15 2019, 04:56 PM

Hardly anything left to worry about in my case Mick !!

Cheers
J

Said 'Thanks' for this post: mullokintyre  

166 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING