Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

321 Pages (Click to Jump) V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 > »    

Reply to this topic

General Moderator Discussion
moosey
post Posted: Aug 29 2007, 04:46 PM
  Quote Post

In reply to: ShareScene.com on Wednesday 29/08/07 05:24pm

As usual Matt, perhaps I didn't explain myself clearly, I got my murds wixed, the article that was posted from the AFR was brilliant, I' not sure whether everyone from SS was parly to it or just the moderators? was it an open forum as such? I do understand that it may be copyright? but with perhaps with the permission of the AFR and perhaps ASIC? it should be viewable by all if it isn't already it highlights what ss is all about IMHO? it also highlights some of my pet hates!

Cheers Gary

--------------------
All posters Please note, the decision to either buy or sell this share is entirely the individuals choice, I am not authorised to give investment advice, I post here to discuss the merits of technology as I see it, which may or may not be correct? and any information here is worth what you paid for it! the moose is loose

ShareScene.com
post Posted: Aug 29 2007, 04:24 PM
  Quote Post

In reply to: moosey on Wednesday 29/08/07 03:07pm

Hi Gary,

Not really sure I get what you mean ? The article should be seen by all OR we should show who has attempted to and/or created a second account ?

The article is copyright AFR, as to showing who has attempted to and/or created a second account, that has some MAJOR legal issues.

I could claim you have created a second account, but due to Australian Privacy Law I could not show in public the “proof” to backup my claim (as I can’t publicly give out your full IP address, email etc without being in breach). Even if I could show, I’m sure someone would challenge the information and sue the forum for deformation.

Re-read the bit about ASIC as there’s a number of catches
They already planned to review 162 BEFORE any of these issues (so this didn’t force their hand)
The review is “planned” to occur sometime in the next year (financial year, we only just started the new one)
The review has no real framework, there is no guarantee they will go to the public (or us the industry) for advise/feedback/comments
The whole word review shows they believe 162 is OK but it just needs a bit of work here or there VS my belief it should be shredded and start again.

In short I don’t hold my breath that ASIC will do anything UNTIL yet another issue that effects the industry (and there is A LOT happening in the industry at the moment)

On that “is A LOT happening in the industry at the moment” I would love to expand on this but I don’t want to become the source of the information… but for the fun of it if you know something (that goes for all moderators) spilt it out and you may get a passing comment by me (if someone else was the source, I would be nothing more then someone giving a comment to that post wink.gif )

Cheers
Matt

moosey
post Posted: Aug 29 2007, 03:37 PM
  Quote Post

Question without notice!

Not being totally computer literate, was the post on the AFR article, re multiple nics observable by all? it was a great article, it in my opinion should be seen by all, it would seriously put the wind up those that hide behind multiple nics, and it would also place Sharescene in a very good light, I have an aversion to those that try to to hide behind this issue, I see that ASIC are finally looking at doing something about it, it's a pity that other countries don't see things the same way! especially the SEC in the US.

Cheers Gary

--------------------
All posters Please note, the decision to either buy or sell this share is entirely the individuals choice, I am not authorised to give investment advice, I post here to discuss the merits of technology as I see it, which may or may not be correct? and any information here is worth what you paid for it! the moose is loose

influxweb
post Posted: Aug 29 2007, 10:33 AM
  Quote Post

Welcome John smile.gif
Andrew

theflasherman
post Posted: Aug 29 2007, 02:23 AM
  Quote Post

QUOTE (tban_mccann @ Tuesday 28/08/07 11:05am)

Hi John

Welcome aboard!

A bit about me... I'm based in London working for Credit Suisse in the commodities team. I've backed off moderating a lot lately due to work committments. I also have to be very careful of conflicts these days and cannot trade in mining shares which is the area I know most about. Your comments about IT projects are very true for us at the moment weirdsmiley.gif

Do let us know if you have any questions and we'll be pleased to help.

I hope the studies go well. It seems such a long time ago now that I studied law myself.

Cheers
Brian

--------------------
[b]Later, Flash[/b]

tban_mccann
post Posted: Aug 28 2007, 09:05 PM
  Quote Post

In reply to: ADMIN1 on Tuesday 28/08/07 03:10pm

Hey Gday Geoff, DrArthur, Moose, all. I'm still getting over the 'eyes as big as saucers' experience of being plugged into the dark underbelly of SS, like some country yokel dropped into a Humphrey Bogart 'Sam Spade private detective' movie - the one's where he talks in his head all the time to the audience and gets the high class dame - until he's forced to shoot her for some forum violation (Caps Lock or whatever).

Well obviously SS's quiet professionalism and respectful dialog is due to the kind of people who belong to it and the way they choose to behave, but I can see now it's also been a matter of continual vigilance and gentle nudging of folk onto the 'path of righteousness'.

I'm just taking it slow for now, watch and learn for a week or so; appreciate the welcome and the offer to participate at a new level.

Mini-Biog? Ex IT from back in the IBM PC days (80's). Retired recently and have gone to Uni to study Law and Psychology. Always been more interested in people than machines. I had a sense that most systems didn't address the needs of the people who were being asked to use them and that this (along with the inherent poor design, poor training, poor installation and the attitude of some IT staff) was the cause of the failure of many 'big' systems. Deep psychological insight ("what makes him tick?") ... Well I have a whimsical attachment to 'long odds' and 'interesting stories'.

Cheers, JohnMc

--------------------
Motto: Just as well I've got another hat....

drarthur
post Posted: Aug 28 2007, 03:47 PM
  Quote Post

John, welcome to the team

any problems with moderation, just give us a heads up via the mods forum and you'll get some healp pretty much straight away

--------------------
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

moosey
post Posted: Aug 28 2007, 03:19 PM
  Quote Post

In reply to: ShareScene.com on Tuesday 28/08/07 03:58pm

Welcome aboard John , you know who I am, as we have talked often, you can now share some of the flack, no fear no favour mate.

Cheers Gary

--------------------

ADMIN1
post Posted: Aug 28 2007, 03:10 PM
  Quote Post

Hi John,

Great to welcome you into the fold. biggrin.gif

My name is Geoffrey. I'm one of the 3 site administrators. I am mainly in charge of computer programming, selling advertising and corporate relationships, but I also keep a close eye on moderation to encourage diversity of opinion.

Matt is the primary moderation team leader, so he is the first point of call. I'm sure Matt will get you up to speed quickly. Start slow, and you will slowly absorb how we work.

I'd very much like for you to introduce yourself to us, possibly outline some of your training and experience that you bring to the team. Any personal interests or passions you want to share to help us to get to know you?

P.S. this topic is basically where we moderators chat. If something needs to be said to team, this is the place to do it.

Cheers,
Geoff

--------------------
regards,
ADMIN1

ShareScene.com
post Posted: Aug 28 2007, 02:58 PM
  Quote Post

All,

“tban_mccann” (John) has now become ShareScene’s 9th Moderator.

Lets all extend a welcome John

Cheers
Matt

321 Pages (Click to Jump) V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING