Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

497 Pages (Click to Jump) V  « < 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 > »    

Reply to this topic

SLX, SILEX SYSTEMS LIMITED
gone fishin'
post Posted: Dec 22 2007, 04:50 PM
  Quote Post

unable to play this video,if anyone can please post the contents.

Charting Technology

CNBC's Martin Soong ask Daryl Guppy, director of Guppytraders.com to chart stocks like Apple, China Direct Inc, Dyno Nobel and Silex Systems.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=606774327

Ticup
post Posted: Dec 20 2007, 12:00 AM
  Quote Post

In reply to: frenzal1 on Monday 17/12/07 02:37pm

Good post... I own both USU and SLX and have seen both drop 50% from my buys. I guess the sector got way ahead of itself on being the energy answer for the world. I think it is the answer, but the sector growth will take some time. NLR is a good way to play the sector for those of us in the States, IMO, since it provides a way for us to invest when most of the activity now is outside the USA.. Happy holidays to our friends in Australia!!!

Highway101
post Posted: Dec 19 2007, 10:43 AM
  Quote Post

Here is a cut and past from the States. This would seem to lend some support to the nuke issues such as SLX and USU. Note the spending on enrichment. SLX is certainly suffering from the genaral market malaise prevalent here in the USA. What is the stock market sentiment down under? The retail investor here is very pessimistic. I can't see share price going up much without a change in sentiment. I know that USU is not a favorite here, but it has held up well under a very negative tape. I was hoping SLX would show some likewise relative strength. I will be buying a spike retest of the old lows of several months ago.

Best,

JP

Congress expands nuke-loan program
December 17, 2007: 02:46 PM EST

Dec. 17, 2007 (Thomson Financial delivered by Newstex) --

WASHINGTON (AP) - Lawmakers on Monday agreed to increase funding for a loan program to guarantee up to 80 percent of nuclear- reactor construction costs -- a move designed to rally the nation's nuclear-energy revival.

The legislation contains a two-year approval of the loan-guarantee program and directs the Secretary of Energy to provide $20.5 billion specifically for nuclear energy -- $18.5 billion for nuclear reactors and $2 billion for uranium enrichment -- as well as $10 billion for renewable energy and energy efficiency and $8 billion for clean-coal technology.

Nevada Republican Pete Domenici, ranking member of the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee, said the deal is part of the fiscal 2008 Omnibus Appropriations bill Congress is expected to approve this week.

'Attracting investors for clean-energy (NASDAQ:CLNE) projects is challenging, so we should do what we can to help get their projects off the ground,' Domenici said in a release.

Three companies already have submitted complete construction and operating license applications for reactors to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, but none has committed to building plants. New plant construction is estimated to cost more than $5 billion, without a reliable loan-guarantee program.

Speaking Monday about the nation's economic health in Fredericksburg, Va., President Bush said nuclear energy was environmentally sound and new plants are needed to help satisfy increasing levels of demand. The 104 domestic operating plants currently generate about 20 percent of U.S. electricity.

'The administration is one step closer to issuing guarantees for loans for clean energy projects that will help reduce our dependence on foreign energy sources, boost economic competitiveness, and combat climate change,' DOE spokeswoman Megan Barnett wrote in an e-mail.

Dominion Resources Inc. (NYSE:D PRA) (NYSE:D) last month became the third company to file a complete application for a new nuclear reactor, at its North Anna Power Station in Louisa County, Va., following the Tennessee Valley Authority, which in October applied for new reactors at the Bellefonte nuclear power station near Scottsboro, Ala.

In September, NRG Energy Inc. (NYSE:NRG) did what no energy had done in 30 years when it submitted an application to build and operate reactors at its Bay City, Texas, power plant site. Constellation Energy Group Inc. (NYSE:CEG) filed a partial application earlier this year for a proposed new reactor in Lusby, Md.

Loan-guarantee applicants must pay a credit subsidy, or 'risk premium,' representing the value of the risk of loss to the government of each particular project. But the industry's trade group did not see that as a barrier to entry.

Nuclear Energy Institute spokesman Steve Kerekes called the fee a 'new wrinkle,' but said the increased funding is a 'very positive development' that will help sustain the first handful of new plants. 'From the beginning, we wanted a limited stimulus for a limited number of new plants for a limited time period,' he said.

As the fees are collected, the loan-guarantee program will become self financing, Domenici said.

The industry has expressed concern about the untested regulatory approval process, environmental issues, waste management and the ability to produce electricity at a competitive price. Nuclear regulators say the review process for new plants will take up to 42 months.

frenzal1
post Posted: Dec 17 2007, 02:37 PM
  Quote Post

In reply to: moosey on Monday 17/12/07 11:37am

Taking a hit today, not such a good xmas present...
look forward to the rebound

moosey
post Posted: Dec 17 2007, 11:37 AM
  Quote Post

In reply to: gulf on Monday 17/12/07 10:18am

Then again I may be jumping the gun?
I wonder why this session was withdrawn???
(SEE PAGE 10 of this PDF)
Advance Program
GFP 2007 4th International Conference on Group IV Photonics (GFP 2007) ...... S. Semans, P. Atanackovic and J. Weldon, Translucent, Inc., Palo Alto, CA, USA ...www.ieee.org/organizations/society/leos/LEOSCONF/GFP2007/AdvanceProgram.pdf -

GFP 2007 4th International Conference on Group IV Photonics (GFP 2007)

Advance Program
Wednesday, 19 September 2007

10.30 - 12.15
Session FB: LIGHT SOURCE: MATERIALS
Session Chair: TBD

Towards a Monolithically-Integrated Electrically-Pumped Si Light Emitter Technology using Epitaxial Erbium Oxide, V. A. Sabnis, H. Yuen, A. Jamora, S. Semans, P. Atanackovic and J. Weldon, Translucent, Inc., Palo Alto, CA, USA
We present epitaxial erbium oxide films on Si as a potential light emitter technology for integration with CMOS electronics. These films offer strong photoluminescence and can be integrated into heterostructures for providing photodetection and electroluminescence.

The bit in blue was marked WITHDRAWN although it doesn't show on the cut and paste!

--------------------
All posters Please note, the decision to either buy or sell this share is entirely the individuals choice, I am not authorised to give investment advice, I post here to discuss the merits of technology as I see it, which may or may not be correct? and any information here is worth what you paid for it! the moose is loose

gulf
post Posted: Dec 17 2007, 09:18 AM
  Quote Post

In reply to: moosey on Sunday 16/12/07 02:51pm

No reaction by the market so far today - maybe all over for Xmas.

sentifi.com

Share Cafe Sentifi Top themes and market attention on:

moosey
post Posted: Dec 16 2007, 11:51 AM
  Quote Post

I found this article from the SMH interesting!

http://www.smh.com.au/news/technology/here...6813012889.html

I am thinking that this is from the EPIC program for the US DARPA program, Translucent inc hold the patents to this I believe? I am also pretty sure that IBM was in the EPIC program as well? They would love to get back into the PC market big time! after letting Microsoft get the jump on them when IBM ignored the PC market for the bigger (at the time) buisness machine market, they didn't read the signs at all well, and missed the boat, if they could only come up with an operating system that isn't prone to bugs and viruses? if they can? they will capture the lions share of the market with this new leading edge tech. IMHO

--------------------
All posters Please note, the decision to either buy or sell this share is entirely the individuals choice, I am not authorised to give investment advice, I post here to discuss the merits of technology as I see it, which may or may not be correct? and any information here is worth what you paid for it! the moose is loose

JustinS007
post Posted: Dec 14 2007, 07:36 PM
  Quote Post

In reply to: Sinner on Thursday 13/12/07 07:07pm

The SLX relevant bits of the article in question:

Laser enrichment of uranium

In other remarks Loewen mentioned that GE is working hard to bring its laser enrichment with isotope separation technology to market. The technology was acquired from Silex Systems in Australia in 2006. GE has the exclusive global rights to launch the uranium enrichment technology. The firm plans to build a full-scale U.S. facility. Construction is underway to build a test loop at the Wilmington, NC, location. The implementation process is

(1) test loop
(2) Lead cascade
(3) Initial production module
(4) Full commercial plant

In terms of a time frame, Loewen said, "we have quarterly targets to meet. This is not an R&D effort." In response to a reporter's question, Loewen declined to name a date for the full scale facility, but did say it would be prior to 2013 which is when the current U.S./Russian nuclear fuel agreement runs out. In a document on GE's corporate web site the firm said it anticipates test runs will start in 2008.

Utility support for laser enrichment

Last October Exelon and Entergy signed non-binding letters of intent to contract for uranium enrichment services from GE-Hitachi Nuclear Energy (GEH). The utilities may also provide GEH with facility licensing and public acceptance support if needed for development of a commercial-scale Global Laser Enrichment (GLE) plant according to a report by World Nuclear News.

Site selection and commercial licensing activities are currently underway to support a projected start-up date of 2012. The commercial laser enrichment facility would have a target capacity of between 3.5 and 6 million separative work units (SWU).

Exelon and Entergy, the two largest US nuclear utilities with some 28 nuclear power reactors between them, are the first utilities to sign letters of intent for the product and are longtime customers of GE and Hitachi.

J.

Sinner
post Posted: Dec 13 2007, 06:07 PM
  Quote Post

In reply to: glenview265 on Thursday 13/12/07 03:14pm

Howdy Glenview,

Thanks for the link. Just to clarify, the Silex process is not intended for reprocessing spent nuclear fuel. That was a specific question I asked at the AGM, which led to the comments Justin duly reported. The process is perfect to economically 'squeeze out' more of the U235 from uranium ore (after conversion to UF6) or from already 'depleted' UF6, much of which still remains in storage. Recovering UF6 from the depleted material also serves an environmental benefit, given UF6 is a nasty chemical in its own right and removal of further U235 would permit the residual to be reconverted back to a more benign form (e.g. oxide) and safely disposed of.
I've prattled on about this here in the past. Search for 'depleted' and Sinner as poster and you'll see what has gone before. If you do, you will see that I've previously discussed the potential for SLX technology to potentially reprocess spent nuclear fuel, hence my Q at the AGM. At this stage it looks like my take on reprocessing was 'premature'.

Cheers!

glenview265
post Posted: Dec 13 2007, 05:14 PM
  Quote Post

In reply to: JustinS007 on Monday 03/12/07 12:13pm

Information discussed on the following link seems to confirm (from a GE prospective) your summary of the Silex AGM. Of particular interest was the information on the current status for reprocessing uranium which if successful opens many more doors for nuclear power.

http://djysrv.blogspot.com

497 Pages (Click to Jump) V  « < 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING