Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

7 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

BREXIT?, What happens to Uk pound and Euro if brexit yes wins
nipper
post Posted: Sep 16 2019, 07:32 AM
  Quote Post

Brexit dominates the media agenda as Britain lunges towards October 31, but [Peter Estlin, London's Lord Mayor,] insists that the sky is not about to fall on London. So what of the story that bankers are leaving the city in droves and money is pouring out of the capital? “Well the story is not that” says Estlin.

“During the time frame of Brexit, we have seen growth in employment. We’ve seen further growth of capital inflows. Clearly individual businesses are making decisions, but I am not aware of any business that has relocated lock, stock and barrel to the continent. In fact, the reverse: I’ve seen businesses coming into the city because they want to continue to access the capital markets, and so they see London as being critical to their future.”

The lord mayor acknowledges that some businesses have hedged by moving part of their workforce in Dublin or Luxembourg, but he gauges the numbers at between 5000 and 7000.

“When you then put that alongside the 30,000 to 40,000 jobs that have been created through fintech and cyber and the other areas, that’s why we’re seeing a net growth.”

The former Barclays and Salomons banker is confident that even in the worst case scenario, a no deal, business would adapt.

“The City as a services centre I wouldn’t say is immune, but has basically prepositioned itself for any outcome. It is the businesses that are involved in the movement of goods that are at risk.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/b...3011e082c444847

- not many in the "global city" (haha) voted for Brexit

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

xw1
post Posted: Feb 7 2017, 09:55 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Feb 7 2017, 09:36 AM

lapin: rabbit, specifically a castrated male rabbit.
=============
lmaosmiley.gif haha you sure to make a lot of us laughing nipper!!

nipper
post Posted: Feb 7 2017, 09:36 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: xw1's post @ Feb 7 2017, 09:25 AM

Marion Anne Perrine Le Pen, known as Marine Le Pen, is a French politician who is the president of the National Front, a national conservative political party in France.

lapin: rabbit, specifically a castrated male rabbit.

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

Said 'Thanks' for this post: xw1  

xw1
post Posted: Feb 7 2017, 09:25 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Feb 6 2017, 10:03 PM

The possibility of Ms Lapen taking the French presidency may be bigger.
============
you are right mick, but the event you mention will trigger Euro crash, not GBP.
what i point out is about to crash GBP.

not sure witch one gonna come first?? unsure.gif

worth to keep eye on these events though!!

mullokintyre
post Posted: Feb 6 2017, 10:03 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: xw1's post @ Feb 6 2017, 09:34 PM

The possibility of Ms Lapen taking the French presidency may be bigger.
Apart from railing against globalisation (Trumped by a French woman.), she has praised Britains EU exit.
Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

Said 'Thanks' for this post: nipper  

xw1
post Posted: Feb 6 2017, 09:34 PM
  Quote Post

Scotland is heading for a fresh independence referendum when U.K. triggers Article 50 to leave the EU, according to a member of the Scottish Greens.

The U.K. government is unwilling to consider Scottish proposals to shape Brexit seriously, the lawmaker told Reuters.
============================================

keep eye on this event, it could trigger GBP to have another crash. imho.

marketwinner
post Posted: Nov 13 2016, 11:45 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Aug 11 2016, 10:33 PM

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-32810887

Brexit: All you need to know about the UK leaving the EU

nipper
post Posted: Aug 11 2016, 10:33 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: jacsar's post @ Jul 12 2016, 07:19 PM

In the last few weeks ranks of political experts have attempted to map and explain the divisions in British society exposed by the referendum vote to leave the European Union. A broad range of factors have been pondered over, including class, location and income. Now another perspective has come from the world of advertising, and based on research into the brands which are the most liked or used by Brexiters and Remainers. It suggests there are other profound cultural differences between the two sides beyond their attitude to the EU. www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-36970535

These are the brands with which the two sets of voters, Brexit and Remain, have the greatest affinity

Top 10 brands: Leave voters
  1. HP Sauce
  2. Bisto
  3. ITV News
  4. The Health Lottery
  5. Birds Eye
  6. Iceland
  7. Sky News
  8. Cathedral City
  9. PG Tips
  10. Richmond sausages
Top 10 brands: Remain voters
  1. BBC.co.uk
  2. BBC iPlayer
  3. Instagram
  4. London Underground
  5. Spotify
  6. Airbnb
  7. LinkedIn
  8. Virgin Trains
  9. Twitter
  10. EasyJet
or whatever. Love that class division. Born to Rule.

--------------------

jacsar
post Posted: Jul 12 2016, 07:19 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: triage's post @ Jul 12 2016, 03:25 PM

Hi triage, this link has a great amount of detail as to what mining is worth along with services, manufacturing etc. Also covers every major/minor country.... http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/indicators ..cheers

Said 'Thanks' for this post: balance  nipper  triage  atleast16  

triage
post Posted: Jul 12 2016, 03:25 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: balance's post @ Jul 10 2016, 09:27 PM

I've got no skin in this particular game but to me the stand out is that the Brits have asked a question without anyone knowing the answer. What does leaving the EU actually mean? Yeah yeah, preserve the English way of life, keep the continentals out etc etc but what model did the proponents of leaving have in mind? My impression is the UK is a bit like the dog that caught the car.

My admittedly likely ignorant view is that the UK's economy is sort of like Australia's but whereas we are over-reliant on mining and housing the Brits are over-reliant on professional services (as in legal and financial services) and housing. As Tyler Cowen highlights, present day London is a one off, totally out-of-the-box phenomenon, and I have read elsewhere that London and the UK generally is pretty much all about big finance, high-end legal services and housing (plus I suppose tourism to see the royals).

London is the richest city in Europe. Real output per person is central London is nearly four times the average in the European Union, and nearly twice that Europe’s other large, rich metropolitan areas, such as Amsterdam and Paris. Strikingly, London is more than twice as rich as the next richest region within Britain. However one slices it, the city is an extraordinary economic outlier.

http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevo...of-the-day.html

If the Brits unsettle their professional services sector in moving to whatever model they decide to go with then not only will the City of London shrink but the whole economy will likely suffer.

Here is an article about whether Hong Kong could take advantage of the uncertainty about the City of London's future. My own guess is not, as the Europeans will want to something closer to Europe, the Arabs will want something in the Gulf and the Chinese will want something in China.

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/law-cri...unity-hong-kong

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

Mozart fixes everything and Messi is a dog

7 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING