Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

108 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

"English as she is spoke", Our language and its quirks
henrietta
post Posted: Mar 16 2019, 07:22 AM
  Quote Post

A car colided into a pedestrian which led to a bloody altercation using an axe.

and

The 75-year-old driver who was known to the pedestrian, was later taken to Liverpool Hospital for an unrelated medical condition before returning back to the police station early Friday morning.

Our intrepid Australian young journalist's articles could improve with some proofreading.

Cheers
J

nipper
post Posted: Feb 27 2019, 09:48 PM
  Quote Post

A rich heritage
Experienced mariners are full of rollicking tales and curious quirks of language.

By PENNY HUNTER

I have spent some time recently in the company of experienced (but not ancient) mariners. They are always full of rollicking tales about life at sea. They’ve also introduced me to a host of nautical customs and turns of phrase. One of these gems is now in regular use at mealtimes in my household: no elbows on the table. That is, unless, the offender has gone around both the Cape of Good Hope and Cape Horn under sail.

The story goes that when press gangs were searching for crew to kidnap and force into service on ships, they would scour harbourside pubs for sailors eating with arms propped on the table. These would be men who had developed the habit at sea to prevent their plate from sliding away in rough weather. Their bad manners meant they had plenty of nautical miles under their belt.

My son, who hasn’t sailed around Sydney Harbour let alone the capes, is the main culprit at our dining table. Sometimes we are at loggerheads (a long handle with an iron ball attached used to seal pitch in deck seams that also made a handy weapon), but as a parent I try not to be overbearing (position a ship so as to steal another’s wind).

During sleepovers, he and his mates are told to pipe down (the bosun’s last whistle, signalling lights out) at midnight or there’ll be the devil to pay (the unpleasant task of caulking a ship’s longest seam down in the bilges). When discipline is required, there’s no need to swing a cat (o’ nine tails), not that there’s much room to do so in his disaster area of a bedroom. Fortunately, he’s no son of a gun (born out of wedlock between the cannons on a ship’s gun deck to an unknown father), so I have his dad to help lay down the law.

On a recent trip at sea, the ship my travel companions and I were sailing on was so beautiful I wondered if we should set up a slush fund and build our own. What I didn’t know was that this would entail scraping the leftovers, or slush, from a barrel of salt meat to take ashore and sell for a few pieces of silver.

At one point, a fellow traveller was feeling a little “under the weather”. In times past, this would have meant he was on watch on the windward side of the bow, at the mercy of gales and waves. In our floating five-star hotel, he simply retired to his airconditioned quarters. He hadn’t needed to pay extra to get a posh (port outward, starboard home) cabin with good ventilation. We just gave him a wide berth.

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

Said 'Thanks' for this post: indeficit  

henrietta
post Posted: Feb 1 2019, 06:02 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: alonso's post @ Feb 1 2019, 01:25 PM

Does not sound right, and I like your version better. Too many words between "can't" and "read" .

Cheers
J

alonso
post Posted: Feb 1 2019, 01:25 PM
  Quote Post

My instinct is there's something wrong with this: "Why can't so many children read?"

But I can only make it OK for me by changing the structure eg Why is it that so many children can't read?

Trust BBC English? Nope.

--------------------
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears this is true"

"What is prudence in the conduct of every private family can scarce be folly in that of a great kingdom." Adam Smith

henrietta
post Posted: Jan 30 2019, 04:20 PM
  Quote Post

And a "thumbs up" to The Australian journalist who got this right ......

The trio was released pending further investigation, Victoria Police Assistant Commissioner Neil Paterson said, adding that the complex investigation stretched back to August and involved allegations of corruption in sport.

Cheers
J

henrietta
post Posted: Jan 30 2019, 11:16 AM
  Quote Post

Our "would be" pollies have a distinctly minimal grasp of our language ....

This morning, Mr Yates said Mr Frydenberg had failed to take action on climate change. Mr Yates said the Treasurer should not be given credit for trying to get an emissions policy through the Coalition partyroom when he was environment minister.

“If he has tried to do it he has succinctly failed,” Mr Yates told ABC radio.

Sigh.

Cheers
J

nipper
post Posted: Jan 26 2019, 10:28 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Jan 26 2019, 07:39 AM

I agree. More than 100 places named after Flinders, around the country.

Was looking up a purely Australian word, emancipist... refering the pardoned convicts. One snippet I never really understood was that about half of those pardoned left Australia when the sentence was up - usually by working the passage. Female convicts tended to stay.

(Though I have an ancestor, James Blinkworth, a second fleeter; went to England in 1795 but was back in 1803, to the short-lived Port Phillip settlement then to Tassie .... and sent for his convict wife, and child, still in Sydney)

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

henrietta
post Posted: Jan 26 2019, 07:39 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Jan 25 2019, 12:59 PM

Great navigator and sailor, died young at 40 after 6 years in prison because of the France/England conflict. What a waste !!
Suggested the name " Australia".
Cheers
J

mullokintyre
post Posted: Jan 26 2019, 07:14 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: draughtsman's post @ Jan 24 2019, 11:27 AM

Yeah, but he will be lost next week.
Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

nipper
post Posted: Jan 25 2019, 12:59 PM
  Quote Post

The ambiguity of our language continues to amuse, especially wrt the economy of a headline
Captain Flinders remains found
He was a good navigator, wasn't he?

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: mullokintyre  

108 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING