Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

25 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

Renewable Energy, Alternative energy, New energy, Solar, Geothermal, Wind
blacksheep
post Posted: Dec 7 2019, 02:56 PM
  Quote Post

Australian mining tycoon Andrew Forrest invests in giant solar farm
Cecilia Jamasmie | December 6, 2019 |

Australian mining billionaire and philanthropist Andrew “Twiggy” Forrest is said to have come to the rescue of a massive and troubled solar farm in Western Australia’s Wheatbelt, by agreeing to invest in the A$130 million ($88m) project.

Sydney-based Sun Brilliance has been working on a 100-megawatt solar farm at Cunderdin, about two hours east of Perth, since 2016. The company, however, has struggled to secure financing and faced snags connecting to the grid since it first proposed the project in 2016, Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) reports.

Sun Brilliance confirmed through a tweet on Friday that it had held “very positive discussions” with a “high-calibre investor” to back its project, but didn’t mention Forrester or any of its companies.

Just two weeks ago, the founder of iron ore miner Fortescue Metals Group (ASX: FMG) grabbed headlines for backing another solar farm in Australia’s Northern Territory, which is expected to supply electricity to Singapore.

The company behind that project, Sun Cable, said Forrest’s Squadron Energy and Grok Ventures had become co-lead investors in the A$20 billion-plus development. If successful, the so called Australia-Singapore Power Link development would include a 10-gigawatt-capacity array of panels spread across 15,000 hectares near Tennant Creek, backed by about 22 gigawatt-hours in battery storage.

The Northern Territory plan is being developed alongside a similarly ambitious proposal for the Pilbara, the Asian Renewable Energy Hub. The proposed 15-gigawatt wind and solar hybrid plant is expected to power local industry and develop a green hydrogen manufacturing hub.

Forrester is also investing in 60 megawatt (MW) solar farm being built by Alinta Energy at Christmas Creek, which would help replace diesel generation at mines owned by Fortescue Metals.

https://www.mining.com/australias-mining-ty...ant-solar-farm/

--------------------
The herd instinct among forecasters makes sheep look like independent thinkers. Edgar Fiedler

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. George Washington

nipper
post Posted: Dec 1 2019, 03:58 PM
  Quote Post

Smart Solar; still pretty dumb?

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-01/r...y-grid/11731452

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

mullokintyre
post Posted: Nov 17 2019, 09:55 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Nov 14 2019, 03:51 PM

The big unanswered question is how much money is going to come srom the public in terms of tax breaks, grants etc.
Been reading about the debacle that was carnegie wave technology.
Governments are the absolute worst at picking winners.
Townsville being in Queensland, I worry a bit.
It was the state government that put money into an app top allow people on cruise ships to share their photos.
Just what we needed.
Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

blacksheep
post Posted: Nov 16 2019, 09:08 PM
  Quote Post

US QUARTZ SAND FACTORY PLANNED FOR TOWNSVILLE
High purity quartz sand and graphene used in the production of solar panels and electronics could be produced in a factory at Townsville port if the plans of a US company are realised.
Graphene & Solar Technologies Ltd wants to develop a $300 million advanced technology manufacturing hub, called Global Advanced ..

https://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/

Graphene & Solar Technologies Limited (formerly known as Solar Quartz Technologies Corporation)

Solar Quartz Technologies Announces a Joint Venture Agreement with NanoGraphene, Inc., a high-level manufacturer of Graphene, as well as a change of the SQTX Company name to Graphene & Solar Technologies Ltd

About Solar Quartz Technologies Corporation.

High Purity Silica Quartz (HPQ) assets are rare globally, and are essential as primary feedstock for the production of High Purity Quartz Sand, an essential primary material necessary in the first stage production of high-tech Photo-Voltaic (PV) solar panels, semi-conductors, fiber optical cables, halogen lamps, HD and LCD television screens, and Epoxy Molding Compounds (EMC). Due to its sole ownership of the solar assets SQTX has significant cost advantages compared to traditional HPQ manufacturers in Norway, Russia and North Carolina.

SQTX is the sole owner of the two High Purity Quartz Silica deposits known as White Springs and Quartz Hill, located in Far North Queensland, Australia, which together, contain in excess of 15 million tons of 99.5%+ pure HPQ deposits, that is in high demand in the global marketplace as feedstock in the production of High Purity Quartz Sand (HPQS), and also in much demand in the high-end electronics manufacturing industry. The company is also seeking funds to build a new commercial scale HPQ pre-processing factory to generate early sales revenues from un-processed HPQ sales to China. Concurrently, it intends to proceed with the development of the second stage factory for processing this feedstock into High Purity Quartz Sand to supply manufacturers of PV solar panels and other high-end technology applications.

"The SQTX management team will initially focus on re-establishing previous $150 million orders from China, and orders for unprocessed HPQ raw quartz, to be delivered from the pre-processing factory in the major port in Townsville, North Queensland, Australia,” said the Houston TX-based Company CEO, Warren Dillard.

--------------------
The herd instinct among forecasters makes sheep look like independent thinkers. Edgar Fiedler

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. George Washington

nipper
post Posted: Nov 14 2019, 03:51 PM
  Quote Post

Owners of solar farms say a draft ruling from the Australian Energy Market Commission rejecting proposed changes in the allocation of transmission losses on the grid will be devastating for the renewable energy industry and threaten reliable supply.

A group of 20 investors, including Macquarie, BlackRock and AGL Energy's PARF venture with QIC, said renewable energy developers are slowing or stopping investment in response to the losses resulting from grid bottlenecks. That practice is putting "upward pressure" on consumer prices, the Clean Energy Investor Group said on Thursday.

The Clean Energy Council said that without changes, the downturn in investment that has hit the industry this year will continue to worsen.

"This will not only be devastating for the clean energy industry, but also places Australia’s future energy reliability at risk as new investment in wind and solar is needed to replace our ageing coal generators," Clean Energy Council chief Kane Thornton said....

https://www.afr.com/companies/energy/solar-...20191114-p53ah4

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

nipper
post Posted: Sep 18 2019, 04:05 PM
  Quote Post

Canberrans asked to do 'heavy lifting' in battling climate change including give up cooking with gas

Under targets set by the new strategy [to go carbon neutral], the ACT would be the first Australian jurisdiction to go natural gas-free from 2045.

Regulations will be changed to remove the requirement for developers to include gas connections in new suburbs. But the policy is a moderately awkward one for the ACT Government, which is a shareholder in ActewAGL, a retail provider of natural gas to Canberra households.

Mr Barr said he expected the transition away from gas within households would be fairly natural. He said as gas appliances died, households would replace them with electric goods, simply because they were most cost-effective. Mr Barr said it was basic consumer maths, as all-electric new home will save an ordinary household around $450 per year.

"I would certainly say to people, look at the relative pricing as well and I think people will reach that conclusion themselves, in terms of the cost of those appliances and how much they cost to run," he said. "The market will drive a lot of that change over the coming two decades."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-16/act-...ifting/11517484

--------------------

sentifi.com

Share Cafe Sentifi Top themes and market attention on:

mullokintyre
post Posted: Apr 30 2019, 06:54 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: blacksheep's post @ Jan 29 2019, 10:02 PM

From Blacksheeps quote below

The data were released on Monday during a media briefing held by the National Energy Administration. The installed capacity of hydropower stations, wind power stations, photovoltaic power stations and biomass power stations in 2018 reached 352,000 MW, 184,000 MW, 174,000 MW, and 17,810 MW respectively, growing 2.5 percent, 12.4 percent, 34 percent and 20.7 percent year-on-year.

Interesting that they include biomass. Although it is certainly renewable, converting biomass to Energy typically requires burning and the release of CO2.
I was always under the impression that the shift away from fossil fuels was driven by Climate Change, which in turn is driven by CO2.

From something called Vettenfalls

Biomass is a renewable energy source and can be anything from energy crops to agricultural or forestry residues and biogenic waste. Biomass can be used to produce both heat and electricity. It plays a key role in reducing CO2 emissions from existing coal power plants by co-firing and producing green eat. h

Not sure how it reduces CO2, and even less sure about green heat.

Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

nipper
post Posted: Apr 27 2019, 02:16 PM
  Quote Post

JP Morgan energy and utilities analyst Mark Busuttil said returns on a $55/MWh Power Purchasing Agreement (PPA) — assuming the project was 80 per cent debt funded — would be around 11 per cent.

"We estimate that a wind farm costing $2,000/kW (kilowatt) with a $55/MWh offtake contract over the first 15 years, then reverting to a merchant power price of $75/MWh for the remaining 10-year life of the plant, would achieve a nominal internal rate of return of five per cent," Mr Busuttil said.

"The risk is that all free cash flows for the initial 15 contracted years would go solely to debt repayment, and equity holders would only generate returns beyond the contracted period."

In other words, equity investors would not see returns for 15 years. Even then, those returns would be highly dependent on volatile power prices which are more than likely tracking down as more supply is added.

"The analysis highlights the risk of wind farm development and justifies the reasons why typical operators of wind farms are moving away from further development," Mr Busuttil said. "It also suggests that wind farm PPAs cannot decline any further."

The JP Morgan research noted the declines in solar PPAs have been even steeper....
https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-26/r...o-bust/11041964

Unreliable, too.

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: lgrif  mullokintyre  

blacksheep
post Posted: Jan 29 2019, 10:02 PM
  Quote Post

Nation switches on to renewable energy
By ZHENG YIRAN | China Daily | Updated: 2019-01-29 07:35
By the end of 2018, China's installed capacity for renewable energy reached 728,000 megawatts, up 12 percent on a year-on-year basis. It took up 38.3 percent of the total installed capacity, growing 1.7 percentage points year-on-year, demonstrating that the alternative role of renewable energy has become increasingly important.

The data were released on Monday during a media briefing held by the National Energy Administration. The installed capacity of hydropower stations, wind power stations, photovoltaic power stations and biomass power stations in 2018 reached 352,000 MW, 184,000 MW, 174,000 MW, and 17,810 MW respectively, growing 2.5 percent, 12.4 percent, 34 percent and 20.7 percent year-on-year.

"The utilization rate of renewable energy is constantly going up," said Li Chuangjun, deputy director of the new energy department of the NEA.

read more - http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/201901/29/W...65c34e6f57.html
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Dec 12 2018, 09:42 AM
  Quote Post

22,000 sites; 60,000 potential and 27 possible projects. The world of NSW pumped hydro.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/the-economy...211-p50lf2.html

Pumped hydro works by running water from a dam downhill through a turbine to generate electricity and then using excess energy to pump it back up the hill to run through again.
- l hope they realise the excess energy is exogenous, otherwise entropy has been 'tamed'

--------------------

25 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING