Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

18 Pages (Click to Jump) V  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > »    

Reply to this topic

Home Brew(sanity juice)
snapper
post Posted: Nov 21 2006, 05:51 PM
  Quote Post

G'day
We live a town water area and some years ago made a batch from a friends tank supply just for a trial , verdict = not as good
So maybe do the reverse yourself , try a batch made on your tank supply and then , bring home some water from nearby town supply and compare the result.

The BEST thing I ever done re the brew was to invest in a keg system , if you need any info on this just ask

snapper

olive_tree
post Posted: Nov 21 2006, 04:18 PM
  Quote Post

In reply to: lancelots on Tuesday 21/11/06 09:45am

I've made loads of beer from kits using rainwater and never had a problem. I haven't added anything to harden the water.

I do look after the tanks to keep the water clean but nothing out of the ordinary. We drink the water without treating it in any way.

BSA
post Posted: Nov 21 2006, 01:04 PM
  Quote Post

In reply to: lancelots on Tuesday 21/11/06 11:27am

Re the tank water, the reply from Westbrew,...

There isn’t any need to boil the water if you are happy drinking it.
It will be necessary to put a water hardener in the water as it will be too soft and won’t keep a head on the beer. 1 teaspoon in one brew is all you need.

Cheers

PS It may pay to ask at the forum that Kos mentioned, and see what other brewers do.

--------------------

falko
post Posted: Nov 21 2006, 10:44 AM
  Quote Post

In reply to: lancelots on Tuesday 21/11/06 09:45am

Day Lance,
I would love to try a rainwater brew as long as I was not in an area of high agricultural chemical use and would also check the tank filters (inlet) side are intact, amazing how many cmall creatures expire in drinking tanks whilst trying to water if they can get in.

Just finished a six month in the bottle brew of
Coopers Mexican Cerveca and Coopers brew enhancer 2 using sliced lime instead of lemon and I can assure all that there will be more of this going down, blasted brilliant old chap even if I do say so myself.

falko

--------------------
Happiness now, is knowing, understanding and accepting your path to the future even as we travell that path at the very moment.
Falko.

kosmo
post Posted: Nov 21 2006, 10:33 AM
  Quote Post

lol ... true!

well ... I prolly wouldn't boil it myself. But might do a brew, ... maybe a cheaper one just to see what happens. Maybe just a single brew. You should be able to tell from the taste what'll happen next time.

otherwise not too sure.

--------------------
Have a crack, ... and let life decide.

kosmo
post Posted: Nov 21 2006, 10:30 AM
  Quote Post

In reply to: BSA on Tuesday 21/11/06 10:01am

just on the yeast again, ... without trying to be too complicated. You don't have to waste the kit yeast but can use it yeast to make a yeast nutrient. This will feed the good yeast and get it off to a better start with fermenting. The quicker the fermentation starts the better.

Put the kit yeast in a cup, boil up some water and pour into the cup (killing the little yeasties), ... about an hour or 2 before brewing. Then about half way thru your boil add the nutrient. This will feed the good yeast (little canibals!) at the start of the fermentation.

good luck
k

--------------------

BSA
post Posted: Nov 21 2006, 10:28 AM
  Quote Post

biggrin.gif
Lots of pots and pans? weirdsmiley.gif

--------------------

lancelots
post Posted: Nov 21 2006, 10:27 AM
  Quote Post

In reply to: kosmo on Tuesday 21/11/06 10:20am

thats alot of water kosmo I normally brew a triple brew!

--------------------
This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.

BSA
post Posted: Nov 21 2006, 10:23 AM
  Quote Post

In reply to: kosmo on Tuesday 21/11/06 11:20am

I have sent an email to Westbrew and will get back with a reply later.

Cheers

--------------------

kosmo
post Posted: Nov 21 2006, 10:20 AM
  Quote Post

In reply to: lancelots on Tuesday 21/11/06 10:45am

hey lance

hmmm ... not too sure, but if in doubt just boil it up. It'll be a pain boiling that much water but better than crap beer.

that's the sort of Q you could ask at the forum of the site I gave below. Someone will know for sure.

k

--------------------

18 Pages (Click to Jump) V  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING