Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

3 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 >   

Reply to this topic

CGC, COSTA GROUP HOLDINGS LIMITED
blacksheep
post Posted: Jan 14 2019, 09:16 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: blacksheep's post @ Jan 12 2019, 10:35 AM

Another notable short alert reported Friday although SP finished the day up 4.53%. @ $4.85/share - rise could be short lived IMHO
https://www.shortman.com.au/stock?q=CGC
Fri 11th Jan, 2019 5,982,435 319,937,318 1.87% 16,599,739 36.04%

--------------------
The herd instinct among forecasters makes sheep look like independent thinkers. Edgar Fiedler

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. George Washington

blacksheep
post Posted: Jan 12 2019, 10:35 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: blacksheep's post @ Nov 21 2017, 06:19 PM

A hedge fund manager who is short Costa and declined to be named said this downgrade was foreshadowed.

"The structure of Costa's relationship with its major landlord VitalHarvest, who earns most of its income from a revenue-sharing agreement with its tenant, and the Costa family's decision to sell out of their exposure to this entity via the VitalHarvest IPO last year, foreshadowed what insiders thought about the true prospects for the 2019 year," the hedge fund manager said

https://www.afr.com/business/agriculture/cr...20190110-h19woa

Short positions as at 7/1/2019 = 3.18% - about to go higher in coming days by looks of things
Notable short alert for Thursday 10/1/2019

Thu 10th Jan, 2019 4,294,315 319,937,318 1.34% 16,404,785 26.18%

https://www.shortman.com.au/stock?q=cgc
Attached Image

Apparently for Macquarie the market update came as an "unwelcome surprise" - while for shorters the downgrade was "forshadowed"
CGC – Macquarie rates the stock as Outperform
By Broker News | More Articles by Broker News

Post profit warning, Macquarie analysts stick with the view this company remains solidly positioned with (still) a solid track record, though the latest market update must have come as an unwelcome surprise.

Macquarie was previously of the view everything was looking swell and solid from an operational point of view. Its own forecast was for double digit percentage growth, well above company guidance and certainly well above yesterday’s update for a flat outlook for the present year.

Apparently, demand for tomatoes, berries and avocados during December 2018 disappointed, while January too is growing below expectations. Estimates culled by -8-15%. Target price drops to $5.55 from $7.60.

--------------------
The herd instinct among forecasters makes sheep look like independent thinkers. Edgar Fiedler

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. George Washington

nipper
post Posted: Jan 10 2019, 05:23 PM
  Quote Post

In a note to the market, Costa said subdued demand for tomatoes, berries and avocados had hit sales. That exacerbated previously flagged delays in its mushroom development and costs of its Moroccan joint venture.

Costa said trading conditions for January appeared to be slower than planned and that patchy demand had caused it to cut prices for a number of its product lines alongside an early finish to its citrus “off season”.

“If current trading conditions continue, this, together with short term slippage of the commissioning of the Monarto mushroom facility upgrade in South Australia and the previously announced additional costs from investments such as African Blue, is expected to result in largely flat growth for the twelve month NPAT-S to the end of June 2019 compared to the prior year,” it said.

Looking to next year, it said the factors were only cyclical and that forecasts for the 2019 calendar year were in line with previous guidance.
.... down by 40% at one stage, today. (something's always on Special at the local supermarket)

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

nipper
post Posted: Aug 26 2018, 03:52 PM
  Quote Post

Costa shares had almost doubled in the past 12 months as investors rushed to the stock, making it a mid-cap market darling.

Chief executive Harry Debney said analysts had got a little ahead of themselves.

“We gave guidance for 25 per cent (profit growth); we produced more than 26 per cent, so we were spot on, but we are a high-growth company. I think all of the analysts were ahead of us. They thought we would be outperforming by a margin above that,’’ Mr Debney said after Costa posted a 10.2 per cent lift in annual revenue to $1 billion as net profit rose 26.3 per cent to $76.69 million.
We have done very well over the last three years, every year, and we are saying we are giving guidance of low double-digit performance for each of the next three to five years.

“Now I don’t know of any company that gives long-term guidance but we are prepared to do that.’’

The company’s earnings before interest and tax rose 30.9 per cent to $150.79m while revenue growth was achieved across all its reportable segments, which include citrus, avocados, mushrooms and berries.

However, its Moroccan blueberry venture, African Blue, of which it owns 86 per cent and will soon move to 90 per cent, posted disappointing earnings as the cold northern hemisphere delayed both the China and Morocco harvests, with Morocco most significantly affected.

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

blacksheep
post Posted: Feb 27 2018, 01:09 PM
  Quote Post

SP up almost 10% following release of results - briefly went through the $7.00 mark

1H FY2018 Financial results
 Revenue of $489.4m – 9.8% growth on 1H FY2017
 Statutory NPAT of $66.2m, inclusive of a $40.1m non-cash gain arising from the revaluation
of the Group’s 49% interest previously held in African Blue.
 EBITDA before SGARA and material items $60.9m – up 24.2% on 1H FY2017
 NPAT before SGARA and material items of $28.6m –14.5% growth on 1H FY2017
 Leverage increased to 1.4x EBITDA-S due to the acquisition of African Blue and growth
projects as at December 2017
 Interim dividend of 5.0 cents per share, an increase of 25% on 1H FY2017, fully franked
(record date 15th March, payment date 5th April 2018).

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

blacksheep
post Posted: Nov 22 2017, 01:30 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Nov 22 2017, 11:08 AM

Seems age.and death, was very much featured back in 2015 when Costa was looking to IPO - quite a story

Now Frank has decided to sell the $1 billion business that was started by his great uncle as a small fruit shop in 1888.

The father of eight daughters, he looked through his extended family and found no one who was willing or able to take over, which means he is now looking for an offer too good to refuse.

"I am 77 and I want the deal done while I am still sharp enough to see it through."

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/frank-co...311-141bdw.html

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Nov 22 2017, 11:08 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: blacksheep's post @ Nov 21 2017, 06:19 PM

real reason
Too much presumption; death is as real as it gets.

--------------------

blacksheep
post Posted: Nov 21 2017, 06:19 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Nov 21 2017, 03:54 PM

There's always a "valid" excuse - does anyone really get the full picture?

Family IPO's always have a number of question marks. Back in 2015 when Costa IPO'd - No interest in Costa IPO

My initial thoughts on the Costa Group IPO are as follows:

1. It looks rather expensive on a forecast (minimum) PER of 15.

2. The operating margin looks fairly high (for a food business) at around 10%. I would imagine that the major supermarkets would be looking at those margins already and ‘suggesting’ that wholesale prices should come down. To some extent berries and mushrooms are premium products and the supermarkets like dealing with big suppliers that can guarantee on-shelf availability, but I’m not sure I’d be relying on that competitive advantage too much.

3. The business has quite a number of risks that are hard to protect against, including weather and the risk of contamination

4. I dislike the fact that this is essentially a private equity sell-down. The Costa family are selling the large majority of their shares into the IPO, which doesn’t fill me with confidence about the future of the business.

https://www.intelligentinvestor.com.au/no-i...sta-ipo-1499236

Then earlier this year - Costa family considers selling horticulture farms

The move would unwind some of the Costa family's related-party transactions with the listed Costa Group, an arrangement queried by a number of investors and analysts since the group listed in July 2015.

Costa Group floated at $2.25 a share in July 2015 and this week shares have trading around $4.70.

The properties leased to Costa Group include blueberry and raspberry farms on the NSW North Coast’s Corindi district; blueberries in Tumbarumba in southern NSW; blueberries, raspberries and blackberries near Devonport in northern Tasmania; and citrus in the South Australian Riverland.

"If they did look to sell them, we may or may not be interested in buying them," said Costa Group chief executive, Harry Debney, when contacted by The Australian Financial Review.

"They are not a dominant part of our portfolio, we have in excess of 40 farms."

The leases for the Costa Asset Management farms expire in 2026, with options to renew.

The properties also entitle the owner to a fixed rent and a share of earnings from Costa Group's berries and citrus businesses.

http://www.farmonline.com.au/story/4731427...-selling-farms/

Real reason???? Maybe the share price was at an all time high ? smile.gif

It will be interesting to see how the SP travels from here.

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: nipper  

nipper
post Posted: Nov 21 2017, 03:54 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: blacksheep's post @ Nov 21 2017, 12:32 PM

.. the Costa family has revealed their selldown yesterday of over $100 million worth of shares in the listed Costa Group was motivated by estate planning. In a letter sent to Costa chairman Neil Chatfield yesterday afternoon, an entity called Costa AFR Pty Ltd revealed the estate planning issues had been triggered by the sudden death of Anthony Costa earlier this year.

Anthony Costa was the brother of listed Costa Group director and shareholder Frank Costa and Robert Costa, who chairs the Costa's family office Costa Asset Management. Together they pioneered the development of Costa Group, the nation's largest fruit and vegetable company. Anthony Costa continued to work and consult in the industry until his final days. He passed away in February after a stroke following a surgical procedure.

Yesterday afternoon's sale by the family of 17.1 million shares in Costa Group, or 5.3 per cent of the company, generated over $112m of proceeds.

"It was between Anthony's estate and my other brother Robert who oversees that," said Frank Costa. "They thought it was time they looked after the estate. Anthony has lots of children. So it was agreed to sell half of our holding for that reason. I didn't oppose it. "They had been talking about it for a while but it only got serious in the past week.

"I think it (Costa Group) is a great company, it is exciting the future it has. "I wish I could turn the body clock back 40 years to get more involved, to be honest."
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/c...fbb31941669b582

--------------------

blacksheep
post Posted: Nov 21 2017, 12:32 PM
  Quote Post

Costa family sells down in UBS trade
Nov 20 2017 at 5:50 PM Updated Nov 20 2017 at 5:50 PM Sarah Thompson , Anthony Macdonald , Joyce Moullakis

5.3% or 17.1 mil shares @ $6.55 - leaving them with circa 4.9%
Read more: http://www.afr.com/street-talk#ixzz4z1tTdglo
Attached Image

--------------------

3 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 >

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING