Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

18 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

BLA, BLUE SKY ALTERNATIVE INVESTMENTS LIMITED
nipper
post Posted: Feb 12 2019, 08:35 PM
  Quote Post

"Proof of Life" documents supplied to ASX, company rises 40% off it's parlous state.

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

blacksheep
post Posted: Dec 11 2018, 01:24 PM
  Quote Post

Looks like another BLA backed start up is is trouble - 150 jobs lost as Thrive restaurants close - Restaurant chain Thrive has been placed into voluntary administration, with 150 employees losing their jobs.
https://www.news.com.au/finance/business/br...a94a6cd0fbfbd6f

Didn't last long

extract from article dated September last year
Why Blue Sky is investing $10 million in gluten-free food venture Thr1ve
ANGELA CASTLES / Thursday, September 28, 2017
Blue Sky Venture Capital is backing the future of farm to table, health-conscious food offerings, after pumping $10 million in to gluten-free food venture Thr1ve.

Founded in 2012 by entrepreneur Josh Sparks, Thr1ve has grown to a chain of gluten-free restaurants in 10 locations along Australia’s east coast, and will use the funds to expand its low-carbohydrate healthy-eating offerings.

This $10 million cash injection will be used to build an e-commerce platform that ties together the company’s physical stores, its existing at-home meal delivery, and a diet and exercising program created by founder and chief Sparks, who has previously held leadership roles at fashion brands sass & bide, Urban Outfitters and Thom Browne New York.

For Blue Sky’s head of venture capital Elaine Stead, it was the company’s “holistic approach” to healthy eating trends that attracted the venture capital fund’s investment.

“One of the sectors that really interests us … is farm to table — we’ve got about six investments in the food space,” Stead tells StartupSmart.

“One of the things we really noticed is the market tailwind behind the shift to food where you know what its nutritional benefit is, [as well as] food that’s sensitive to a person’s dietary requirements,” she adds.

Stead says Thr1ve was “another expression of that [healthy-eating ethos] on the retail side,” adding that its nutrition-first approach was “one of the cool reasons why we really liked it”.

“Josh who is the entrepreneur and founder is amazing — he’s so dynamic and has such a strong vision for the business, he always wanted to make it more than just a healthy fast food alternative,” Stead says.

https://www.smartcompany.com.au/startupsmar...venture-thr1ve/

--------------------
The herd instinct among forecasters makes sheep look like independent thinkers. Edgar Fiedler

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. George Washington

nipper
post Posted: Nov 16 2018, 08:29 AM
  Quote Post

Blue Sky Alternative Investments will finally have to face its unitholders on Monday in Brisbane. And not a moment too soon. After it cancelled its annual investor day, citing the business' ongoing "restructuring", it'll be the first, public and no doubt rowdy opportunity for rank-and-file investors to grill the team that's led them to where they are today, invested in a business worth a tenth of what it was when Glaucus lobbed its short thesis.

Unfortunately, founder Mark Sowerby and successor Rob Shand are long gone. But chairman John Kain is still around. The Adelaide corporate lawyer (and Liberal state party president) is even up for re-election on the ballot paper. No doubt he'll use the meeting to (finally) announce his replacement as chairman.
AFR

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

blacksheep
post Posted: Nov 13 2018, 11:46 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Nov 13 2018, 11:28 AM

Thanks - wrong thread - now posted under BAF smile.gif

--------------------
The herd instinct among forecasters makes sheep look like independent thinkers. Edgar Fiedler

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. George Washington

nipper
post Posted: Nov 13 2018, 11:28 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: blacksheep's post @ Nov 13 2018, 10:56 AM

That's BAF the listed "alternatives" , not BLA. It seems to be more transparent in that BAF is a sum of assets, not sum of management fees.

The water fund would be the "jewel in the crown" .... but Duxton, D2O, is probably a cleaner ASX exposure.

If BAF does have a NTA around $1.10, it might be best to break it up, sell off the bits and return cash to shareholders. Interesting with Pinnacle, Geoff Wilson and now Corrigan/ Scanlon recognising some value, but the gap hasn't closed (now trading 86c). I suppose that reflects a discount for the time it takes to unwind all those illiquid holdings. Everyone wants a bargain.

--------------------

blacksheep
post Posted: Nov 13 2018, 10:56 AM
  Quote Post

Peter Scanlon,Chris Corrigan and Sam Kaplan are using a vehicle called Aware Water to run their bid - according to AFR Street Talk
Heavyweights to step up the water torture on Blue Sky fund
It's understood Aware will call on shareholders to block a plan by Blue Sky Alternative Access Fund to install a new manager which would be more costly to shareholders, with Aware expected to call on investors to liquidate the LIC. That means, upon a wind-up of the LIC, Aware would purchase the water assets at book value.

https://www.afr.com/street-talk/heavyweight...20181111-h17s27

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Oct 18 2018, 09:33 PM
  Quote Post

and somewhat less histrionic, but equally dooming
Oaktree, the $US120 billion fund manager, agreed to provide Blue Sky with a seven-year note that can be converted to shares that would give it a stake of up to 30 per cent in the company.

But independent expert Grant Thornton determined that the conversion price granted to Oaktree of $1.87, a 56 per cent premium to the share price on October 16, was 'not fair' based on the assessed value of $2.56 to $3.06 on a 'control basis' and between $1.94 and $2.22 on 'a diluted and minority basis'.

Grant Thornton, however, argued the terms were reasonable, as "the advantages outweigh the disadvantages".

The advantages it listed were the fact the capital would allow Blue Sky to continue with business as usual, the process to raise the capital was competitive with no superior proposal, while the conversion price did constitute a premium to the traded price.

The disadvantages were the high dilution if the notes are converted to shares, the fact the proposal is not fair and the fact that Blue Sky may have received a takeover offer in the future. ..

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: JSB  

blacksheep
post Posted: Oct 3 2018, 10:55 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Sep 28 2018, 11:04 AM

Oaktree transaction / dilution/ salvation/ death squeeze?

According to Joe Aston of AFR - "suffocation" sad.gif
extract
Now Blue Sky wants the market to believe that Oaktree has given it $50 million in breathing space, true only were breathing space a euphemism for suffocation. Oaktree's a vulture fund for crying out loud! When will this mob learn that we're on to their unmistakable bullshit?

The reality: Oaktree immediately takes $1 million of the $50 million as a fee. Then it gets $2.5 million per annum, due in monthly cash instalments, and a further $5 million annually (though accrued quarterly), convertible into Blue Sky shares and which then becomes part of (thus increasing) that cash interest obligation.

These monies owed all assume, of course, that Blue Sky has drawn the full $50 million. But it will. It raised $96.8 million in new capital on March 7. By May 31, it had spent the lot.

Furthermore, Oaktree can convert amounts owing to it into up to 30 per cent of issued Blue Sky shares. Oaktree's shares can never be diluted. And Oaktree can call in the loan (ultimately taking control of the company) if its quarterly tests of Blue Sky's minimum cash balance, minimum recurring cash earnings, minimum net tangible assets and maximum annual capex (the benchmarks of which all remain undisclosed) are breached. People, the fat lady is warming up her vocal chords.

https://www.afr.com/brand/rear-window/oaktr...20181001-h163n9

Current short position @ 26th September, 2018 = 3.75%
https://www.shortman.com.au/stock?q=bla

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

blacksheep
post Posted: Sep 28 2018, 11:11 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Sep 28 2018, 11:04 AM

The trading halt is requested pending an announcement by the Company of details of a
material transaction with Oaktree Capital Management which was foreshadowed in prior
announcements;

extract from prior ann

The third breach relates to identified fees or third-party expenses that were allocated to certain Blue Sky
closed-end managed funds in a manner inconsistent with arrangements represented in the disclosure
documents for those funds

Blue Sky advises that the aggregate value of identified incorrectly charged fees and/or third-party
expenses was approximately $4.1 million plus GST. These charges were incurred across 65 different
existing closed-end funds in the ten years from FY2007 to FY2017 inclusive and related mainly to
receiving reimbursements for third party expenses not in accordance with fixed annual administrative
expense caps or otherwise not expressly permitted in the respective disclosure documents.

The incorrectly charged fees and expenses mostly pertained to wholesale private real estate and private
equity funds and did not impact any institutional mandates and institutional funds including the Strategic
Australian Agriculture Fund, or open-ended funds including the Water Fund or Hedge Funds.

Blue Sky has commenced reimbursing these charges to the relevant closed-end funds and will complete
that process by 31 October 2018, such that there is no loss to fund investors resulting from incorrectly
charged fees. Investors in these funds will be separately advised of these matters by 31 October 2018.
Blue Sky also today confirms one further identified breach of Blue Sky’s obligations arising from an
external custodian. Blue Sky’s AFSL holder (Blue Sky Private Equity Limited) previously appointed
Australian Executor Trustee Limited (‘AET’) as the custodian of seven of its managed investment
schemes. On 31 August 2018, AET informed its clients that it did not believe it had met its net tangible
asset (NTA) requirements under its own AFSL in June, July and August 2018. Consequently, Blue Sky
was obliged to inform ASIC of this breach on 31 August 2018. AET has subsequently rectified its NTA
breach of its AFSL.

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Sep 28 2018, 11:04 AM
  Quote Post

T/H . ..... Oaktree transaction / dilution/ salvation/ death squeeze?

--------------------

18 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING