Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

7 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

SHL, SONIC HEALTHCARE LIMITED
nipper
post Posted: Feb 19 2021, 09:00 AM
  Quote Post

Pathology tester Sonic Healthcare has confirmed a bumper half year, with net profit up 166% to $678 million off the back of smaller but still strong 33% rise in revenue to $4.4 billion for the half.

Sonic has rebounded strongly from the initial bumpiness from COVID19 shutdowns that saw it forced to halt medical testing in a range of jurisdictions for varying periods of time.

That problem eased as the lockdowns came off and the company was able to offset the early fall by processing more COVID-19 tests as virus surges in the US in the closing months of 2020 which saw its laboratory business strong.

Sonic says it has processed more than 18 million COVID 19 tests in 60 countries.

Excluding COVID19 testing, Sonic’s base business revenue eased 1% for the six months to December.

The company boosted interim dividend to a high 36 cents a share.

CEO Colin Goldschmidt said in a statement to the ASX this was still a strong result, because it was a very significant improvement versus the dramatic falls in base business we experienced from mid-March through May 2020.

Our Laboratory division achieved organic revenue growth of 39% in the half year, with very strong growth in the USA, Germany, Belgium and the UK. Without the benefit of COVID19 testing, our Imaging division grew revenue by 14%, much higher than long term industry averages, an amazing outcome which included taking market share.

On the back of this strong revenue growth, the operating leverage inherent in Sonic’s business was very apparent, with the level of profit growth far exceeding that of revenue. Our existing infrastructure of specimen collection facilities, courier networks, laboratories and other facilities, equipment, IT, management, staff and supply chains were all crucial to handle the increased patient volumes we have been, and continue to be, experiencing.

Our global base business revenue (excluding COVID testing) declined by 1% versus the comparative period, which was a very significant improvement versus the dramatic falls in base business we experienced from mid-March through May 2020. It appears our base business is becoming increasingly less affected by social restrictions and fear of infection, through better community understanding of the dangers in delaying or avoiding essential healthcare services. Sonic is also benefiting from our geographical and healthcare sector diversification.

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

blacksheep
post Posted: Apr 5 2019, 08:03 PM
  Quote Post

Health sector winners no matter who takes the election

He says Sonic Healthcare and medical center, pathology and imaging player Healius will benefit under either Labor or Coalition as imaging and primary care receive additional funding. And imaging groups Integral Diagnostics and Capitol Health are likely the biggest beneficiaries under Labor's plans.

https://www.afr.com/business/health/health-...20190403-p51ahu

--------------------
The herd instinct among forecasters makes sheep look like independent thinkers. Edgar Fiedler

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. George Washington

mullokintyre
post Posted: Jul 20 2015, 10:45 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Nov 20 2014, 01:21 PM

another earnings downgrade, was down 8 % at one stage this morning.
with only 45% franking , perhaps its time for this one to depart.
been a good run all the same.
mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

Said 'Thanks' for this post: nipper  

mullokintyre
post Posted: Nov 20 2014, 01:21 PM
  Quote Post

Down 5% today on downgrades to forecasted results.
Still expecting to increase EPS, but barely keeping up with inflation.
No decreases in expected dividends though.
Will continue to hold.
Mick

--------------------

mullokintyre
post Posted: Mar 5 2014, 10:20 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Sep 4 2012, 05:15 PM

Up 32% since my investment, plus 4.25 % gross yield.
Not one post in the 18 months since my last post.
Guess it really IS unexciting to everyone.
Wish all my stocks were as unexciting.

Mick

--------------------

mullokintyre
post Posted: Sep 4 2012, 05:15 PM
  Quote Post

Have added this as long term investment.
Health is not an exciting industry to be in, but its stable, everyone wants some, and it will never run out of customers.

Mick

--------------------

macduffy
post Posted: Dec 13 2011, 04:32 AM
  Quote Post

SHL subsidiary Medlab South loses its contract with Canterbury District Health Board in NZ.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/6129224/14...rch-labs-review

Gum Nut
post Posted: Jul 21 2010, 08:40 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: Gum Nut's post @ Jun 10 2010, 06:46 AM

Now with Health Scope taken over........SHL looks a tad on cheap side at AUD $10?????

GN

Gum Nut
post Posted: Jun 10 2010, 06:46 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: gerd96's post @ Jun 9 2010, 02:10 PM

Hi gerd96,

Speculation is that Quest Diagnostics inc is considering takeover bid for Sonic Healthcare:

Sonic - Quest takeover speculation

Regards,

GN

gerd96
post Posted: Jun 9 2010, 02:10 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: gjh's post @ Jun 9 2010, 11:34 AM

Thanks for that bit of info; no wonder it ran away from me this morning. Let's see what tomorrow will bring; the usual would be a bit of "calming". Maybe I'll be luckier tomorrow as I wouldn't mind a small holding to keep the interest alife in the Health sector.
cheers GERD

--------------------
I rather go without, than have nothing at all.

7 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING