Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

2 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 >   

Reply to this topic

ASX50, which stocks?
mme
post Posted: Nov 3 2008, 07:28 AM
  Quote Post

I posted this on the 28th of October 2008. Please do your own research. I also recorded the prices from this date. biggrin.gif

Personally I think 3500 t0 3800 will be our bottom and we are in this range now. Being saying this for awhile to people I know but hey what would I know!!!! Have also picked out 6 stocks which IMO present good opportunity with a mid to long term view. Ironically they are not the stocks I normally follow but they have plummeted so much that gee!! biggrin.gif WES BHP IPL CSL One of the banks which I'm still undecided about (please help) and CTX and/or STO. biggrin.gif
Comments appreciated.!! Please do the usual as I'm a mere punter and this is not financial advise. biggrin.gif

wolverine
post Posted: Nov 2 2008, 07:14 PM
  Quote Post

WBC
BHP
OSH or WPL

would be my suggestions for good quality portfolio starters.

--------------------
TOO MANY CHIEFS

NOT ENOUGH INDIANS

orni
post Posted: Nov 2 2008, 06:46 PM
  Quote Post

What shares does evryone her have?

balance
post Posted: Nov 2 2008, 10:38 AM
  Quote Post

In reply to: wolverine on Sunday 02/11/08 10:08am

ditto W.
If the stocks in your name and unencumbered , should not be an issue .

On stocks, if you cant decide which ones why not consider SFY or STW?
They track the asx 50 and asx 200 respectively.Given yields are high, rates are coming down and PE's reasonable the top 50 or 200 are likely quite good value.
It saves the worry of stock picking & gives you diversification across the sectors.
Other exchange traded funds do similar things, just watch the NTA's.Sometimes you can buy a dollar for less, sometimes people pay over the odds.

If you do stock pick any of the big 4.CBA WBC less exposure to the current probs but pay a bit of a premium, lesser yield.
NAB and ANZ maybe better for long term recovery.I think most believe they can maintain their divvies.

Materials, really only 2 for long term investing rio and bhp.
Buy rio, maybe and end up with bhp anyway when the T/O goes thru?

Consider WPL around 40 dollars, good long term buying imho.
TLS also worthy of consideration.
WOW prob good too.

There no doubt will be more rewarding stocks to ride depends on your risk tolerance.

good luck with it.

--------------------
Day Trader: Lowest form of life in the known universe.
Shorter: Can limbo under a day trader.
Investor: Salt of the Earth.Sits to the right of God (Warren Buffet)
Share prices are only ever manipulated down.
Paper losses are not really losses.
Chat site posters always know better & know more than anyone about anything.
I'm 29.
The cheque is in the mail.

wolverine
post Posted: Nov 2 2008, 10:08 AM
  Quote Post

QUOTE (Tylergold @ Sunday 02/11/08 10:57am)

slow down tylergold.

unless you are buying on a complicated margin loan arrangement or using some highly leveraged position buying shares, with your shares held as issuer sponsored or chess sponsored, there is approximately 0% chance of the collapse of a broker having any effect on your ownership.

--------------------
TOO MANY CHIEFS

NOT ENOUGH INDIANS

Said 'Thanks' for this post: Tylergold  

Tylergold
post Posted: Nov 2 2008, 09:57 AM
  Quote Post

In reply to: orni on Sunday 02/11/08 08:38am

commsec is safer but you should check if bell direct can go bankrupas primus did a few years ago and the share holders didnt get their shares it probalkly wont happen with bell direct but i think ill use comsec.

orni i think we should get lgl

orni
post Posted: Nov 2 2008, 08:38 AM
  Quote Post

I want to invest $2000-$3000 per stock
into 2-3 different stocks

1 bank
1 material
1 can be any

orni
post Posted: Nov 2 2008, 08:28 AM
  Quote Post

QUOTE (Tylergold @ Saturday 01/11/08 05:46pm)

Also tyler,
Commsec charges $20 or 0.12% whichever is greater

Bell direct 15 or 0.12%

Tylergold
post Posted: Nov 1 2008, 05:46 PM
  Quote Post

In reply to: vida on Saturday 01/11/08 05:15pm

yes you can do that but i spread i spent a few thousand (around 5-6) on wbc,mqg,bhp,tol,cba, and just sold nab to get more mqg. i am confident ill regain around 15% of my losses and hopefully get to 10,000. im going to try get a job and get some money to invest at these great buying times. looking at LGL and IPL closely. IPL (everyone needs food____so people need fertilizzers i think they supply to china and possibly india will check them out.

vida
post Posted: Nov 1 2008, 05:15 PM
  Quote Post

In reply to: Tylergold on Saturday 01/11/08 04:50pm

Orni is a student? Why spread when you can concentrate it on one good investment? then top up on it or buy another stock when more funds are available later. Its 2 little 2spread.

2 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 >

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING