Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

8 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

Learning how to read charts, Using charts to help you buy and sell
salts
post Posted: Jan 1 2009, 02:51 PM
  Quote Post

Finally getting the knack of all this charting!
Got my software, got my free feeds tongue.gif And a folder full of how to dos and how to understands.

I would like to see what the current market in general looks like on a chart at the moment and when the right time is to buy. Isnt the technology amazing these days!

For anyone who is interested to learning charting, I first started on http://www.swing-trade-stocks.com/read-stock-charts.html They have clips on the way, and nothing is to sophisticated. I did a lot more research after that and had some great help off BSA! smile.gif I have posted some free links on a recent post, (Posted on Thursday 11/12/08 03:40pm) that will give you your EOD data feeds, and for software, use a trial until you get used to it!

Thanks to everyone that has helped contribute to this thread, I am still a Noob chartist, but am on my way - please continue posting your valuble information and help for the people that need to learn! biggrin.gif

salts (son)

Said 'Thanks' for this post: BSA  

mattimick
post Posted: Dec 23 2008, 02:59 PM
  Quote Post

In reply to: veeone on Tuesday 23/12/08 01:32pm

Arty and Veeone,

thank you for taking the time to answer my question. That makes sense.

veeone
post Posted: Dec 23 2008, 02:32 PM
  Quote Post

Thanks arty i only use basic bigcharts and they are not always up to date.
Pulled up one of my companies that did a consol over twelve months ago and bigcharts still show the big gap between the old and new that week it happened.
Maybe they have a better package if you subscribe.
I'm still not into charting in a big way yet. Still learning.
One day i'll get to your standard!!
V1

Said 'Thanks' for this post: mattimick  

arty
post Posted: Dec 23 2008, 02:17 PM
  Quote Post

QUOTE (mattimick @ Tuesday 23/12/08 12:58pm)

Looks like they issued 50% more shares since then. The pre-event shares would've been worth more then than today's after they were diluted. Data providers adjust for that and recalculate old records to reflect today's shares. Which means, if you sold 10,000 of the old shares for $1,500 before receiving 5000 free new ones, the equivalent in today's shares would be $1,500 for the old 10,000 plus the 5,000 you would've received if you'd waited. Meaning your 10,000 x 15c shares would now be 15,000 x 10c.

PS edt - V1: chart data providers usually adjust the history the very day such "corporate actions" occur. I know the Market Analyser does - thank goodness for that! - otherwise I could never draw proper MAs and trendlines.

--------------------
I trade daily, but I am not a licensed adviser. Whether you find my ideas reasonable or not: The only person responsible for your actions is YOU.
I follow two rules: (1) There are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. (2) Whatever is inconsistent with observed facts must be discarded or revised. We must understand the Market as it is and not confuse how it is with how we wish it to be. (inspired by Carl Sagan)

Said 'Thanks' for this post: mattimick  

veeone
post Posted: Dec 23 2008, 02:12 PM
  Quote Post

QUOTE (mattimick @ Tuesday 23/12/08 01:58pm)

Sounds odd to me as generally the price of the share would be more after consolidation on the chart.Charts are reconstructed 12 months after the consolidation usually.
Wasn't a share split??
The chart come from a reliable source??
Check your tax records to confirm your sale price and also your broker records should go back a while if you nolonger have your tax.
V1

mattimick
post Posted: Dec 23 2008, 01:58 PM
  Quote Post

Hi,

I sold shares in a company about 2 years ago and I'm sure the price I sold was 15c. They have undergone consolidation since this time. When I look back on the chart now at the date I sold the price is 10c. Why would this be? Is it due to consolidation and raisings?

salts
post Posted: Dec 11 2008, 02:40 PM
  Quote Post

hi guys, i finally found what I was after biggrin.gif If you are after data, that comes in 10:00 AM the next day
http://www.cooltrader.com.au is for you. It is free, and great for learners to practis on before they get into the real stuff.
If you want past data go to http://www.float.com.au. it has data from way back...

I found that cooltrader didnt have august up anymore. And float.com.au hadnt been updated, so I emailed cooltrader, and they are really good and sent me that month

Now i am all set, using cooltrader every morning it comes out cool.gif

Cheers

Said 'Thanks' for this post: arty  daggie  

salts
post Posted: Dec 10 2008, 12:35 PM
  Quote Post

Guys, please help me!! I have all the ASX data for my charting back to 1998, but I am missing this years August data!!! Can anyone help me? Plz send a link to a site with data for it!!!!

weirdsmiley.gif

arty
post Posted: Apr 20 2008, 03:47 PM
  Quote Post

...let me know which charting course, or system you use.

The short answer: I took a course about 10 years ago; that was part of a deal when I purchased the Market Analyser from Trade Tech in Perth, who have since left. It was followed by a decade of learning and self-improvement. The Market Analyser software, now in its third major rewrite, is still my main platform for technical analysis and charting in general.
Visit http://www.mdsnews.com/ for details.

Another good charting package, complete with lots of educational info, is
www.incrediblecharts.com

As to current training material, I have bookmarked the education pages of Leavitt Brothers, which I still refer to on occasion: http://www.leavittbrothers.com/education/chart_patterns/
You can also find well-written books by Louise Bedford (she even has a blog on this website) or Darryl Guppy.

--------------------
I trade daily, but I am not a licensed adviser. Whether you find my ideas reasonable or not: The only person responsible for your actions is YOU.
I follow two rules: (1) There are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. (2) Whatever is inconsistent with observed facts must be discarded or revised. We must understand the Market as it is and not confuse how it is with how we wish it to be. (inspired by Carl Sagan)

arty
post Posted: Apr 20 2008, 03:35 PM
  Quote Post

In replies to ShareSceners' questions about Technical Analysis, I posted a number of comments under various stock discussion threads.
For those interested to find out more about T/A - also referred to as "charting" - I'll repeat a few of those dispersed notes under this heading.

Those members who know, please join in and post your own favourites.
Those members who don't care about T/A, please ignore this thread.

(1) T/A is a discipline that takes time to study and become proficient. It requires at least a basic understanding of Statistics, although there are computer programs available to do much of the number crunching for you.
(2) Moving Average crossings may be a component of some technical methods, but pretty useless on their own. Trading only off an 11-week average makes you react to something that happened 5-6 weeks ago.
(3) T/A is equally well suited to short, even Intraday, trading periods as it is to extremely long-term strategies. But you have to know which approach is suitable for which timeframe.

Maybe we can find or open a thread dedicated to T/A. I'll have a look. Or you could PM me for more in-depth discussion.

In regard to CVN, from a technical perspective: I see upside potential on a weekly-monthly outlook. However, this being such a volatile stock - it lost 50% in 2 weeks! - I wouldn't hold a large position without tight monitoring. Seeing the latest volume increase failed to push it past the 59c resistance, it may languish for some time to come.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  CVN_dly.gif ( 11.89K ) Number of downloads: 0

--------------------

8 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING