Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

A reminder to all members that you agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

5 Pages (Click to Jump) V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >   

Reply to this topic

Electric Vehicles, the Investment Ecosystem
mullokintyre
post Posted: Feb 6 2020, 09:54 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Feb 6 2020, 09:31 AM

At least they say its going to be planned.
Before they roll out of large numbers of electric vehicles, they have to sort out the charging problems first,
Scalability is the big issue, as our distribution networks were never designed for fastcharging of batteries on a macro scale.
If ever there was a primary use for localised solar or wind generators, electric charging stations have got to be the primary goal.
Short run DC generation and charging rather than running massive inverters to convert AC to DC for charging.
The high current draw required to charge vehicles will put a big strain on AC networks.
Households should not be allowed to run EV chargers unless they have solar rooftop systems with battery backup storage would be a good start.
Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

birnam
post Posted: Feb 6 2020, 09:52 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Feb 6 2020, 08:56 AM

Yeah, electric cars are the future. Where they're getting the electrons from to power them is still to be explained. At roughly 4kW of electricity needed for each litre of fuel displaced that's an awful lot of solar panels, wind or gas turbines, transmission lines and storage to fill the need.

nipper
post Posted: Feb 6 2020, 09:31 AM
  Quote Post

Federal Energy and Emissions Reduction Minister Angus Taylor said as part of a $3.5 billion climate solutions package, the government was developing a National Electric Vehicle Strategy, to be finalised by the middle of the year.

He said the strategy would ensure a "planned and managed transition" to the new vehicle technology so that Australians who "choose to adopt new technologies are supported in doing so".

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/sha...202-p53wx3.html
big numbers locally (lol)
Electric Vehicle Council show 6718 electric cars, including hybrid plug-ins, were sold nationwide last year, up from 2216 in 2018.

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

nipper
post Posted: Feb 6 2020, 09:31 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Feb 6 2020, 09:19 AM

that's a job for the UN, mick

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

mullokintyre
post Posted: Feb 6 2020, 09:19 AM
  Quote Post

Did he happen to mention China, India and USA in that speech?
Between them they account for 50% of the CO2 emitted.
Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

nipper
post Posted: Feb 6 2020, 08:56 AM
  Quote Post

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has thrown down the gauntlet on climate change to countries including Australia, urging them to come to a major UN climate conference in Scotland this November with a plan to get their economies carbon-neutral by 2050.

"The UK is calling for us to get to net zero as soon as possible, for every county to announce credible targets to get there, that's what we want from Glasgow," he said in a speech on Tuesday (Wednesday AEDT).

Mr Johnson has significantly upped the ante for the UN conference known as COP 26 – successor to the meetings that crafted the Kyoto and Paris agreements – which Britain and Italy will co-host in Glasgow in November.

"Of course it’s expensive, of course it’s difficult, it will require thought and change and action. People will say it’s impossible and it can’t be done; my message to you all this morning is that they are wrong."

Mr Johnson vowed to bring forward by five years a domestic pledge to phase out the sale of new diesel and petrol cars from Britain, including hybrids. He said it could be done by 2035 "or earlier if a faster transition is feasible, subject to consultation".

--------------------

Featured Stock Stories

Pendragon
post Posted: Nov 23 2019, 09:54 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: stocks's post @ Nov 1 2019, 10:27 AM

They are going to tax us by mileage.
Our car is going to be a taxi.

Said 'Thanks' for this post: nipper  

blacksheep
post Posted: Nov 23 2019, 08:38 PM
  Quote Post

Porsche going all in on electric
Bloomberg News | November 22, 2019

By 2025 every other car Porsche sells will have a plug, Zellmer predicted. He pushed back against the notion that luxury cars and sustainability are incompatible.

“To remain what we are, we have to adapt,” he said. “If we don’t adapt, we’re going to be left out.”

Porsche’s legendary 911 will be the last in its line to go electric, Zellmer said. There’s been considerable controversy over when and how the brand’s oldest model will make the transition.

read more - https://www.mining.com/web/porsche-going-all-in-on-electric/

--------------------
The herd instinct among forecasters makes sheep look like independent thinkers. Edgar Fiedler

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. George Washington

blacksheep
post Posted: Nov 1 2019, 10:30 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: stocks's post @ Nov 1 2019, 10:27 AM

That was the whole point of the article I posted

--------------------
The herd instinct among forecasters makes sheep look like independent thinkers. Edgar Fiedler

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. George Washington

Said 'Thanks' for this post: gumboots  

stocks
post Posted: Nov 1 2019, 10:27 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: blacksheep's post @ Nov 1 2019, 10:22 AM

One of the big problems for the Govt is that the Electric cars are not going to be paying any petrol tax.

5 Pages (Click to Jump) V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING