Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

47 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

NEA, NEARMAP LTD
blacksheep
post Posted: Feb 1 2019, 09:55 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Jan 31 2019, 04:56 PM

Well done Mick. Never hurts to take profits when they present.

There's still that gap @ $1.63 biggrin.gif

Total short positions, while not huge, they are creeping up - as at 25/1/19 = 0.35%
https://www.shortman.com.au/stock?q=nea
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
The herd instinct among forecasters makes sheep look like independent thinkers. Edgar Fiedler

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. George Washington

mullokintyre
post Posted: Jan 31 2019, 04:56 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: blacksheep's post @ Sep 27 2018, 02:17 PM

I sold out today, had the sell order in for two weeks before the market crept up to it,
Second time I have bought and sold this one for a profit.
Will I get a chance for the trifecta??

Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

blacksheep
post Posted: Sep 27 2018, 02:17 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Sep 27 2018, 12:04 PM

NEA gets a mention here http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-27/can-...ection=business

Nearmap flying high
Nearmap's business model is using specially designed cameras in light aircraft to map the ground. The images are much higher quality than what can be achieved via satellite and allows larger areas to be mapped than those created using current drone technology.

Its customer base is diverse; from construction companies keeping an eye on projects to insurance companies who want to assess damage following disasters and governments making planning decisions.

Nearmap's CEO Dr Rob Newman said investors were increasingly confident that Australian technology companies could compete with the world.

"The difference is we are starting to build global companies, so rather than being an Australian company selling to Australians we're now Australian companies that can sell globally," Dr Newman told The Business.

--------------------
The herd instinct among forecasters makes sheep look like independent thinkers. Edgar Fiedler

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. George Washington

nipper
post Posted: Sep 27 2018, 12:04 PM
  Quote Post

Australia does not have the big-name technology giants — think Facebook, Apple, Amazon, Netflix and Google — that have driven the United States stock market to record highs over the last two years. Some price valuations being driven by fund managers having to buy relatively illiquid stock.

But, if you had bet on Australia's biggest publicly listed technology companies in that same period, most likely, you would have done very nicely.

The ASX200 information technology sector has risen by about 20 per cent since the start of the year — together the 11 companies that make up the sector have accrued $10 billion in value for their shareholders. That is more than double the growth the vastly bigger, tech-centric Nasdaq index has put on in the US this year.

Even more impressively, this comes after it rose by about 25 per cent last year.

The averages are attractive returns, but some individual stock performances have been stellar.

Wisetech is up 54 per cent, Appen 72 per cent, Atlassian (which is listed on the NASDAQ in the US) has more than doubled, Afterpay Touch is up 179 per cent while aerial imagery company Nearmap has tripled in value.

Nearmap's business model is using specially designed cameras in light aircraft to map the ground. The images are much higher quality than what can be achieved via satellite and allows larger areas to be mapped than those created using current drone technology.

Its customer base is diverse; from construction companies keeping an eye on projects to insurance companies who want to assess damage following disasters and governments making planning decisions.

Nearmap's CEO Dr Rob Newman said investors were increasingly confident that Australian technology companies could compete with the world.

"The difference is we are starting to build global companies, so rather than being an Australian company selling to Australians we're now Australian companies that can sell globally," Dr Newman told The Business.
finally

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

nipper
post Posted: Apr 9 2018, 09:40 AM
  Quote Post

Strengthening US market buoys Nearmap growth prospects
ASX-listed aerial photography company Nearmap is reaping the rewards of an 18 month investment program, with its broadened product range helping it to export its domestic success to the US. The small cap technology company, which was founded in 2008 in Perth by entrepreneur Stuart Nixon, expanded to the US in 2014, but in its most recent half-year results analysts were buoyed by better than expected sales from the region.

Canaccord Genuity senior analyst Owen Humphries told The Australian Financial Review the company's sales efficiency had outperformed its expectations, especially in the States.

"The US aerial imagery market is 10 times the size of the Australia and estimated at $US1 billion to $US2 billion," he said. "The incumbent player [Pictometry] continues to sell imagery on perpetual licenses providing Nearmap with a unique opportunity to disrupt this business model as its sells its products on a subscription basis. Successful execution could see Nearmap capture a large proportion of the market share and ultimately generates revenue multiples of its current Australian operations.

In its first half results Nearmap's annualised contract value jumped 31 per cent to a record $54.2 million, while its global customer numbers increased to more than 8200. In the same period its group average revenue per subscription increased to $6600, while total revenue jumped 27 per cent to $24.7 million.

In 2017 the company expanded on its 2D aerial imaging technology to also provide 3D models of what's on the ground. The business also offers improved obliques, surface modelling, point cloud and textured mesh analysis. It has also developed a mobile-friendly map browser for its customers.

Mr Humphries said the business had spent 18 months funnelling funds into "enhancing its camera technology and product capability" and this had led to more success both onshore and offshore.

"In Australia, which is the main profit driver, Nearmap continued to increase its average revenue per user, total customer numbers, improved gross profit margins as its customer churn rate fell. The key health metrics of the business model continue to improve," he said. "[In the US] sales execution is critical and in my view biggest risk in the US. The company has a superior product offering and scaling its revenue quickly will be testament to this."

In its results for the first six months of the financial year, Nearmap revealed it had achieved an annualised contract value (ACV) in the states of $US8.5 million and 742 subscriptions. In contrast, Australia had an ACV of $43.3 million and 7,477 subscriptions. Its customers include AGL, Melbourne Airport, Coles and Laing O'Rourke.

Its image capturing technology has captured 90 per cent of the Australian population and 70 per cent of the US population. It is expanding its New Zealand image capturing program this year to include the top 13 cities plus Queenstown.

While the company is starting to see some success in the US, Mr Humphries said further offshore expansion would still be years away.

"Nearmap is one of the very few globally, if not the only, aerial imagery company that sells its imagery on a subscription basis - it is highly disruptive," he said. "If Nearmap can scale to profitability in the US, we see the potential for the company to enter the European, Asian and potentially Latin American markets in due course. "However this remains years away. The focus is executing on its US opportunity at this time."

Nearmap was last trading at 93¢ and has a market capitalisation of $364.7 million. In the last five months it has seen a significant share price rise, jumping from below 60¢ in November to its current price, having traded as high as $1.07.

If the five analysts who cover the stock at are correct, the company still has significant upside. Mr Humphries has a 12-month price target of $1.30 for the company, but of the analysts surveyed on Bloomberg the average price target was $1.41, with every analyst considering Nearmap a buy.

Chardan senior research analyst James McIlree upped his price target to $1.50 last month, saying in a note it had hit a large enough scale in the US to leverage its investments in new products, services, sales and marketing. "The US market opportunity is large, exceeding $2 billion annually and Nearmap's presence is small, about $7 million, indicating there is still plenty of room for growth," he said. "In the US we expect revenue to more than double this year to $US6.8 million and while EBITDA will still be negative through 2019, or longer, the losses will be diminishing at a rapid rate."

Mr McIlree also said Nearmap was still generating the majority of its growth from sales of subscriptions for its 2D product, but in the second half of the year it would benefit from increased business stemming from its oblique imagery and 3D offerings.

Nearmap chief executive Rob Newman, while not the founder, has been with the business since 2008 when he came on board as an investor. He took up the top job in 2015 after seven years on the company board.

The business previously traded under the formerly ASX-listed company Ipernica after it was acquired in its early days, but it became the primary entity in 2012 and the business shifted from Perth to Sydney.

Mr Humphries said the company was expected to hit cashflow break-even in the next 12 months. "You typically buy software-as-a-service companies when they are ramping up their sales and marketing spend - the company knows its unit economics better than anyone else," he said. "Nearmap fits this category with its sales and marketing spend increasing 38 per cent over the previous 12 months."

Read more: http://www.afr.com/technology/strengthenin...4#ixzz5C7wThuWc

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

nipper
post Posted: Apr 22 2017, 01:52 PM
  Quote Post

Snappy use by Nearmap for 'before & after' images:
http://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/be...a10ac76d2b07b49

--------------------

arty
post Posted: Nov 23 2016, 12:30 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: dr_dazmo's post @ Nov 23 2016, 11:25 AM

And the ASX throws the rule book at them.
Suspended under 17.3 - failure to abide by listing rules.

--------------------
I trade daily, but I am not a licensed adviser. Whether you find my ideas reasonable or not: The only person responsible for your actions is YOU.
I follow two rules: (1) There are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. (2) Whatever is inconsistent with observed facts must be discarded or revised. We must understand the Market as it is and not confuse how it is with how we wish it to be. (inspired by Carl Sagan)

dr_dazmo
post Posted: Nov 23 2016, 11:25 AM
  Quote Post

Amazing how fast things can change..

21/11/16
The Company continues to evaluate options for raising capital to accelerate its growth plans. Nearmap does not require new capital in order to progress its existing business plan and the Company advises that, at this time, no decision with respect to whether to seek further funding (or as to what form it may take) has been made.
23/11/16
The trading halt is requested in connection with a proposed equity raising to be conducted by the Company by way of an institutional placement ( Placement).

--------------------
Always remember the Golden Rule - Those with the Gold make the Rules!

nipper
post Posted: Oct 24 2016, 07:57 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Jul 15 2016, 01:10 PM

turn around story / second breath

Last Tuesday, aerial mapping business Nearmap Limited (NEA) announced its first quarter FY17 trading update, showing continued revenue growth in both its Australia and US businesses.

Quarterly subscription revenue growth was up 39% to $9.2 million, with the Australian operation reporting organic revenue growth of 32%.

The company has seen rapid growth under the leadership of CEO Rob Newman, with the Australian business generating strong cash flow and its recent entry into the US market gaining traction. Shares in Nearmap closed up 25.4% for the week.

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Jul 15 2016, 01:10 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mistagear's post @ Apr 29 2016, 12:09 PM

Welcome to Null Island, ultimate destination
  • Robert Lee Hotz
  • The Wall Street Journal
  • 12:00AM July 15, 2016
Every day, countless people seeking digital directions on their computers and smartphones are diverted to an isolated spot on the Atlantic Ocean, 1600km or so off the coast of Africa, where the Prime Meridian and the equator intersect. It's called Null Island. This lonely way station in the Gulf of Guinea is, according to its website, a thriving republic with a population of 4000, a roaring economy, a tourism bureau, a unique native language and the world's highest per capita use of Segway scooters. In the realm of digital cartography, it is one of the most-visited places in the world. The only problem for its millions of visitors is that there isn't much to see. Null Island doesn't exist.

In the world of geographic information systems, the island is an apparition that serves a practical purpose. It lies at "zero-zero," a mapper's shorthand for zero degrees latitude and zero degrees longitude. By a programming quirk introduced by developers, those are the default coordinates where Google maps and other digital Global Positioning System applications are directed to send the millions of users who make mistakes in their searches.

"There's always a spot where the system goes when it really doesn't know where it should go," says Nathaniel Vaughn Kelso, chief cartographer of Mapzen, based in New York, which promotes open access to map data. "That's Null Island."

About seven years ago, Mr Kelso, who had heard the phrase used by other cartographers, encoded Null Island as the default destination for mistakes into a widely used public-domain digital-mapping data set called Natural Earth, which has been downloaded several million times. On a whim, he made the location at zero-zero appear as a tiny outcrop 1m square. In no time at all, other mappers gave the "island" its own natural geography, created a website, and designed T-shirts and a national flag.

"People talk about it as a mythological place — being banished to Null Island," said cartographer Tim St. Onge at the US Library of Congress, which houses eight million maps in its collection. "It is a recognised location in geographic information systems where errors end up."

The phantom geography of Null Island, awash in a sea of geocoding errors, offers a glimpse into the technological challenges for the burgeoning business of digital mapping. Everyone knows the world isn't flat, but it is not so round either. Strictly speaking, it is a lumpy egg-shaped geoid that challenges the mathematical skills of cartographers.

They must program geocoding software to correctly match location requests to signals from orbiting satellites, cell towers or WiFi hot spots, and then to digital coordinates from up to 5700 different kinds of spatial surveys and more than 10 million geographic place names — all in an instant.

"There is a lot of terrible-terrible-terrible math involved," said Kenneth Field, a senior cartographer at the Environmental Systems Research Institute in Redlands, California, which makes geographic information and analysis systems. "Every part of the planet differs from every other part and that is why we have all these different maps."

Moreover, cartographers now are melding geography and data to track mobile-phone use, target ads, and analyse retail sales or insurance risks, demographic trends, disease outbreaks, neighbourhood crime, traffic jams, and even the intensity of Christmas lighting.

"It is so easy to relate to very complex data by using your location as a lens by which to view it," said Sean Gorman, CEO of a data analytics company called Timbr.io in Charlottesville, Virginia, who helped popularise the Null Island myth. "Location is so personal."

With so many overlapping grids, geocoding mistakes are unavoidable. No one seems to know who started routing them by default to the Atlantic Ocean. "It is really a bug affecting the importing and exporting of data," said Kate Chapman, chief technology officer for the Cadasta Foundation, based in Washington, DC, which documents property rights She is generally credited with making the first Null Island T-shirts, which she started handing out to friends at technical conferences in 2009.

Some mapping mistakes are random. Recent search-engine requests for a bike-sharing location in The Netherlands, a car-rental agency in Portugal, and a polling place in Washington, DC, were sidetracked to Null Island, most likely the result of typos or coding errors. On one day in June, Mr Kelso counted 1,708,031 misguided location requests in the Mapzen system that had landed there — a fraction of the total from all mapping services and applications worldwide.

Other errors are systematic. The crime mapping application for the Los Angeles Police Department, for instance, several years ago made City Hall look like the centre of a crime wave when its mapping analysts made it the default location for hundreds of crime reports with undecipherable addresses.

To fix that problem, the analysts routed mis-labeled crime reports to Null Island.

"One of the reasons that Null Island became such a popular joke is that you are seeing the data-processing world and the geographers' world bump into each other for the first time," said Michal Migurski, vice-president for products at Mapzen, who was among the first to add the name to commercial mapping software.

"It is becoming shorthand for all the weird data-processing issues that we bump into," he said. "Null Island is almost a way to say we all make mistakes."

Data-analytics expert Steve Pellegrin, now retired in Seattle, is credited with giving Null Island the most elaborate treatment online. In 2008, he created a website for The Republic of Null Island.

It features a souvenir shop with the motto: "Like No Place On Earth." Not everyone gets the joke. A Dutch travel agent repeatedly emailed the Island's bureau of tourism, hoping to manage island tours. "We have only recently discovered that we don't exist," he wrote to her. "No one was more surprised than us."

- on my bucket list

--------------------

47 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING