Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

272 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

BHP, BHP BILLITON LIMITED
nipper
post Posted: Yesterday, 05:55 PM
  Quote Post

Speaking after the release of BHP’s 2019 profit this week, Mackenzie got a little excited when talking about the group’s Oak Dam discovery in South Australia’s Gawler Craton.

“You will of course have heard that we have made a major and a very exciting discovery of a new copper opportunity to the south of Olympic Dam which, of course in time, will add to our copper production,” Mackenzie said.

BHP lifted the lid on its deep but very high grade Oak Dam discovery in November last year (it is actually an old WMC discovery dating back to the 1970s but with a nice modern day interpretation of historical drill data by BHP).

BHP reported the results from four holes, the best of which was from AD-23, which returned a 180m hit grading 6.07% copper, 0.92gpt gold, 0.4kg/t uranium and 12.77gpt silver from a depth of 1,070m.

That was part of a 425.7m intersection from 1063m grading 3.04% copper, 0.59gpt gold, 0.34kg/t uranium and 6.03gpt silver.

So Oak Dam looks to be something special all right. Another 10 holes have been drilled since but results have not been released.

That forces us to rely on the bush telegraph where there is chatter that BHP has been getting more of the same from step out drilling.

The beauty about the thickness and grade of the mineralisation, and assuming the gossip on the step out holes is on the money, is that it won’t take BHP long to rack up say a 200 million-tonne deposit.

That would mean that even a fairly modest mining rate of 5mpta could yield 200,000-250,000tpa of copper, matching Olympic Dam but at less than half the mining rate, such is the grade.

That’s all a bit pie-in-the-sky stuff. But it does go to why Mackenzie got excited when adding the unfolding story at Oak Dam to the group’s portfolio of future copper development options.

Investigator Resources (ASX:IVR):

Today’s bigger point about Oak Dam is that after all these years of production from Olympic Dam, and OZ Mineral’s Prominent Hill mine and what it has to come from its Carrapateena development, the Gawler continues to be fertile ground for big copper-gold discoveries.

That’s good news for Investigator Resources, which has been edging up from 1c a share in mid-June to 2.8c on Thursday for a market cap of about $21m.....

BHP’s Oak Dam discovery is 85km along trend to the north of Maslins, with Investigator having worked up the target since 2016 as being in a conductive corridor that also takes in Prominent Hill, Olympic Dam and Carrapateena....

.https://www.livewiremarkets.com/wires/bhp-s-excitement-over-its-latest-south-australian-copper-find-looking-justified
- but it is Barry Fitzgerald

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

Said 'Thanks' for this post: boylep  

nipper
post Posted: Aug 20 2019, 02:27 PM
  Quote Post

.... research firm Fitch Solutions recently published a company outlook for BHP Billiton, weighing in on the company’s market-leading position in the mining industry.

According the report, the world’s largest miner has been able to stay ahead of the pack thanks to the quality and potential of its assets and projects, as well as the company’s marketing and diversification strategies.

As a testament to its industry-leading status, BHP has consistently been able to generate higher cash flows than its competitors over recent years (see graph below)....

https://www.mining.com/bhp-outperforming-pe...quidity-report/

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

Said 'Thanks' for this post: boylep  rog  

blacksheep
post Posted: Aug 5 2019, 02:10 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Aug 2 2019, 09:14 PM

Electric ambition: BHP eyes EV market with speciality chemicals
Quality questions
As battery makers move towards higher nickel-content cathodes, they look for extremely high purity metal. One seller of nickel sulphate, based in Asia, said that BHP’s existing metal products were not first choice for his customers because they took longer to process.

“BHP Nickel briquette or powder is not a first purchase option for the nickel sulphate producer in Northeast Asia… It takes more time to solvent (which leads to) less productivity and higher cost,” he said.

Haegel acknowledged that BHP had received similar feedback that may be related to the density of BHP’s briquettes.

“That hasn’t stopped people buying briquettes – sales continue to grow,” he said.

“All I can point to is that we have had pretty exponential growth in our sales and our customers keep buying our product.”

Nickel West currently contributes just a fraction to BHP’s profits, accounting for just $42 million of underlying earnings in the December half year, compared with $3.5 billion from iron ore.

Analysts and investors said given its size and focus, the division could be a better fit for another owner if BHP chooses to revisit a sale.

https://www.mining.com/web/electric-ambitio...lity-chemicals/

--------------------
The herd instinct among forecasters makes sheep look like independent thinkers. Edgar Fiedler

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. George Washington

Said 'Thanks' for this post: rog  

nipper
post Posted: Aug 2 2019, 09:14 PM
  Quote Post

.... in May, chief executive Andrew Mackenzie said [nickel] was back in favour because it afforded extra exposure to the battery boom.

BHP Nickel West asset president Eddy Haegel revealed on Friday that the boss's backing for nickel came after the company had considered cobalt and lithium options and opted to pass on them.

"We did a review of all the battery materials, nickel, cobalt, lithium," he said.

Mr Haegel said it was no great surprise BHP was not attracted to cobalt, given the lion's share of global supply came out of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, where the company was "not in a hurry" to invest.

In the case of lithium, Mr Haegel said BHP felt there was a lot of it in the world and it would struggle over time to attract the same price premiums as nickel.

"It is a very widely available mineral," he said. "There will be periods of times when supply and demand don’t naturally match but we anticipate that there will be no sustainable premium in lithium. That is our view.

"That is not the case with nickel. We think in the medium to longer term the margin will be sticky for nickel and it is an attractive commodity."

https://www.afr.com/companies/mining/born-a...20190802-p52d62

...As recently as 2015, BHP Nickel West was selling none of the nickel metal it produces in briquette and powder form at its Kwinana refinery south of Perth to the battery sector, with the market dominated by stainless steel makers. Now, more than 80 per cent of its annual 75,000 tonnes production at Kwinana goes to battery-sector customers in Japan, South Korea and China.

Mr Haegel said some off-take contracts were in place for nickel sulphate once the plant started production, but did not give details.

However, he said BHP did not expect to have any trouble finding buyers for nickel sulphate as the new plant ramped up to first-stage capacity of 100,000 tonnes a year.

"The rate of growth is profound – we are going to be talking about millions of tonnes of sulphate in the not too distant future," he said....

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: rog  

blacksheep
post Posted: Aug 1 2019, 11:00 AM
  Quote Post

Samarco poised to reclaim mining license lost after accident
extract
The venture, jointly owned by Vale SA and BHP Group Ltd., has already reached an agreement with the regulator and could get formal permission to operate as soon as mid-September, said people familiar with the regulatory situation, who asked not to be named because talks between the company and the government are private.

“There might be some optimism that Samarco can get theirs later this year to restart in 2020,” said Roger Horn, a senior emerging-markets strategist at SMBC Nikko Securities America in New York. “The bigger issue is how quickly they can ramp up” to start servicing their debt.

The miner’s November 2022 bonds rose as high as 76.181 cents on the dollar on Wednesday from 75.75 cents the day before, according to Trace price data.

https://www.mining.com/web/samarco-poised-t...after-accident/

--------------------
The herd instinct among forecasters makes sheep look like independent thinkers. Edgar Fiedler

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. George Washington

Said 'Thanks' for this post: early birds  

nipper
post Posted: Jul 17 2019, 02:51 PM
  Quote Post

BHP Group could be on track to finally capture Rio Tinto’s prized place at the bottom of the Pilbara iron ore cost curve, as the company flags a big lift in output at its own operations and finally begins to push the boundaries of its 290 million tonne a year annual capacity.

The mining giant won’t release its cost guidance for the current financial year until its annual financial statements are released in August, but said in its quarterly production report, released on Wednesday, its 2018-19 costs were in line with earlier predictions of less than $US15 a tonne.

And a big lift in volumes is coming, with BHP planning to ship up to 286 million tonnes in the current fiscal year, up from 270.5 million tonnes last year, suggesting unit costs will fall further....

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: early birds  boylep  

blacksheep
post Posted: Jul 13 2019, 11:49 AM
  Quote Post

Australian thermal coal leaves investors cold
Bloomberg | July 12, 2019 | 12:37 pm
extract
(Bloomberg Opinion)

When you’re in the business of buying and selling, timing is everything.

That’s the costly lesson facing BHP Group, which is looking at options to divest its thermal coal assets according to a report Thursday by Thomas Biesheuvel of Bloomberg News that cited people familiar with the matter

read more - https://www.mining.com/web/australian-therm...investors-cold/
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

blacksheep
post Posted: Jul 11 2019, 12:25 PM
  Quote Post

BHP has joined the world's biggest oil companies in shutting down their Gulf of Mexico operations in anticipation of a major storm in the region.

The weather system, which could turn into a hurricane in coming days, was still about 200 kilometres from the coast of the US state of Louisiana on Thursday morning, according to Bloomberg.

The storm has already caused some flooding in New Orleans.

BHP has stakes in producing and exploration assets on both the US and Mexican sides of the Gulf of Mexico.

Peter Ker has the full story here.
https://www.smh.com.au/business/wall-st-wel...711-h1g49b.html

The Governor has declared a state of emergency in Louisiana. Models continue to show this storm strengthening, with our parish on the east side of the storm. Please prepare for strong wind and heavy rain this weekend

I have declared a state of emergency today in preparation for the impact of the low-pressure system in the Gulf of Mexico. The system will likely produce storm surge, hurricane-force winds & up to 15 inches of rain across the state. This is going to be a Louisiana event that impacts every part of the state, and no one should take this storm lightly. As we know all too well, low intensity does not necessarily mean low impact. Now is the time to check your emergency supplies and get a gameplan for your family and pets. I urge everyone to continue monitoring local media for weather developments and follow the directions of local officials. We expect multiple parishes to declare states of emergency, and we stand ready to assist our local partners with all available resources. My office is in constant communication with FEMA and we will continue to provide updates as necessary. #lagov #lawx

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: early birds  

Mirrors1967
post Posted: Jun 14 2019, 04:34 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ May 23 2019, 06:17 AM

Video on Share Cafe talks about electronification of transport FYI

nipper
post Posted: May 23 2019, 06:17 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ May 22 2019, 09:45 PM

The five themes that shape BHP scenarios presently are electric vehicles; the challenges around resecuring the licence to operate; the decarbonisation of the power generation; the changing state of the biosphere and what that is going to mean for things like the way food is produced and water is used; and, finally, the replacement of primary production by recycled materials.

The demand-and-supply scenarios of these inputs inspire models that generate low, base and high watermarks for future pricing of the commodities BHP produces and those it might imagine should one day be included in its portfolio...
- how long before BHP passes the positive screens and gets the tick from so-called ethical investors ?

--------------------

272 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING