Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

Reply to this topic

SPT, SPLITIT PAYMENTS LTD
nipper
post Posted: May 31 2019, 09:15 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: PeterH's post @ Feb 16 2019, 10:35 AM

This could be a fun ride, just could be....
...- peaked mid-March (beware!) at $1.60 and has been a skier's delight ever since. Now halved. Raising capital, escrow release; usual story

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

PeterH
post Posted: Feb 16 2019, 10:35 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Feb 12 2019, 02:08 PM

Orchard and Nipper. I am not a day trader but I can read a board and I can read a chart. In nearly 60 years in the market I have never seen such a set of messages sent by the trading frenzy since Poseidon. Yes I bought into that one too.

In the first few days the frenzy was such that any day trader worth his salt could not have lost. Big call I know, but this was a unique situation, so I had to open the punting purse and put my foot in. My average ingoing was 54 cents. Now I don't care a damn. If it goes up I'm laughing. If it goes down I buy more - judiciously, of course. One thing I can almost guarantee - it will go past $1. So I am unlikely to sell and intend at this stage to stay in for the long haul.

I like the cut of the boy's jib too. And we all know that backing a company's founder gives you one of the best head starts available. Mind you, I remember saying that about Elon Musk as well but now I wouldn't back him with bad money.

Oh, by the way, I have learned a couple of things from experience. My biggest mistakes have resulted from selling too early. I bought Poseidon for 67 cents and sold for $2.40, very pleased with myself, for a short while. My mate who bought at the same time as me waited until they hit $200 before he sold. And there was no CGT in those days.
This could be a fun ride, just could be.

nipper
post Posted: Feb 12 2019, 02:08 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Feb 12 2019, 02:03 PM

....in December, Vocus founder and Airtasker chairman James Spenceley was wondering whether the Splitit float would even happen.

United States tech stocks had entered bear market territory, local tech companies were struggling to recover from October's lows, and the sky-high valuations of earlier months seemed a distant memory.

He needn't have worried, with the value of his 1.21 per cent stake in Splitit more than quadrupling in just a week to $2.72 million.

"I was in Splitit pre-IPO and the market was so bad. We were wondering if it would even happen, let alone how it would go on day one," Mr Spenceley said.

"But when you find a good business that has the potential to be a billion-dollar company, you can't worry too much about marketing timing."

- AFR
The company, founded in 2012 by Gil Don and Alon Feit, has created technology that sits on top of the payments "rails" used by Mastercard and Visa to allow individuals to split the cost of a purchase into monthly payments on their credit card without needing to take a separate loan. It makes money by charging retailers a service fee, but does not charge consumers late fees.

In this regard, the business is different to fellow payments start-up Afterpay, which is subject to an ongoing Senate inquiry looking at the regulatory environment surrounding payday lenders and consumer leasing businesses....

Mr Spenceley said he liked the way Splitit approached the problem of splitting payments, describing it as "split payments for grown-ups".

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

Said 'Thanks' for this post: French Orchard  

nipper
post Posted: Feb 12 2019, 02:03 PM
  Quote Post

Saw this one... Seemed too good to be true.
Splitit is an Israel-based technology company providing payment solutions to business and retailers. The Splitit Payments Platform integrates into a merchant’s payments system, offering flexible payment options to customers.

The company’s main source of funds is derived from transaction fees, paid by the merchant whenever an end-customer uses the Splitit payment option online or in the physical store. As such, the total value of transactions and number of customers using the platform are the primary revenue drivers.

Merchant fees have grown by more than 200 per cent year on year during the 2018 third quarter to about $350,000, with just under $1 million in collections during that period.

The IPO may seem familiar to investors who have followed the success of Afterpay Touch (APT). Afterpay’s payments technology allows consumers to purchase goods and services now and pay in the future of over four scheduled instalments. Afterpay’s share price rose more than 100 per cent last year, with the company currently adding 7500 new customers a day to its platform.

The latest in a string of Israeli-linked start-ups on the ASX, Splitit is currently in the early stages of developing its presence in the US, Europe and the Asia-Pacific. Failure to establish a presence and grow transaction volumes is a key risk. However, a strong level of inside ownership from key executives could give the market confidence in management’s ability to grow revenues and ultimately deliver shareholder value.

The consumer financing industry has low barriers to entry and the competitive landscape is high. American payments behemoth PayPal is strong in the US market, Afterpay is strong in our domestic market while and other start-ups are disrupting across the market, but only few will succeed.

With an indicative market capitalisation of up to $54m, Splitit is required to deliver significant growth to maintain its valuation. Many technology and software IPOs have disappointed ASX investors in 2018 and investors in this IPO are also required to have a speculative appetite.

Simon Herrmann is an investment analyst at www.wise-owl.com

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: French Orchard  

French Orchard
post Posted: Feb 12 2019, 06:55 AM
  Quote Post

Any thoughts on SPT? Can't find any threads relating to it. Listed on 29th Jan, 0.20 at IPO, went up to 0.99 in the first week and currently 0.815. Lots of debate about whether it's a viable model. Good for customers as it allows you to split repayments on a purchase interest free. But maybe not so good for merchants as they have to wait. Similar to when big stores offer interest free over X number of months, except with this the customer is in the driver's seat. My jury is still out. Any thoughts? https://www.splitit.com/

Said 'Thanks' for this post: nipper  

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING