Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

20 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

Virtual currencies, Blockchain bitcoin
rlane
post Posted: Nov 25 2020, 04:16 PM
  Quote Post

The global payments merchant, which has over 300 million active users, has been buying up Bitcoin (BTC) and other cryptocurrencies at a rapid pace. As Cointelegraph recently reported, PayPal has bought nearly 70% of all the new Bitcoin in circulation. The supply shortage has been cited as a major reason for Bitcoin's rapid appreciation over the past month.

https://cointelegraph.com/news/paypal-ceo-o...ryptocurrencies

According to a survey by the Bank for International Settlements, one in 10 central banks – representing approximately one-fifth of the world's population – expect to issue their own digital currencies within the next three years.

https://newsroom.paypal-corp.com/2020-10-21...-Cryptocurrency

Said 'Thanks' for this post: early birds  royco  

royco
post Posted: Oct 26 2020, 09:31 PM
  Quote Post

https://winklevosscapital.com/the-case-for-500k-bitcoin/

--------------------
Ἀρτεμίσιον

Said 'Thanks' for this post: rlane  

rlane
post Posted: Oct 26 2020, 11:38 AM
  Quote Post

Governments are moving towards digital currencies
Then earlier this week, the International Monetary Fund (IMF) held a virtual panel that discussed digital currencies and cross-border payments. Roughly 80 percent of central banks in 66 countries, including 21 advanced nations, are exploring the issuance of digital currencies, while 40 percent have become pilot programs or experiments, including the Federal Reserve, the IMF panel noted.

While going to negative interest rates in 2014, the ECB has also destroyed its bond market in just 20 years from the launch of the euro in 1999. These central banks cannot shrink their balance sheets for there is no market for the debt. The only way out is to default on all debt, and they may do this by declaring it to be perpetual with the simultaneous launch of digital currencies to prevent bank runs.

The issuance of perpetual bonds would still be the reserves of central banks, with no intention of making them redeemable. The market will already assume the bonds are AAA because they will not default, while being paid interest on them like an annuity. This would allow central banks to escape the formal default which is inevitable.

https://www.kitco.com/commentaries/2020-10-...s-got-gold.html

Said 'Thanks' for this post: early birds  royco  

royco
post Posted: Sep 26 2020, 05:25 PM
  Quote Post

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/ne...siness-54261382

--------------------
Ἀρτεμίσιον

mullokintyre
post Posted: Aug 27 2020, 11:42 PM
  Quote Post

From Coin Telegraph
Major Korean crypto exchange seized after 99% trading volume allegedly faked
Police claim that wash trading and market manipulation by the owner and management team of the Coinbit exchange netted over 100 billion won.South Korea’s third-largest cryptocurrency exchange, Coinbit, has been seized by police following fraud allegations. According to an Aug. 26 report by the Seoul Shinmun, 99% of transaction volume on the exchange was faked through wash trading.

The Seoul Metropolitan Police searched and confiscated a number of properties, including Coinbit’s headquarters in the Gangnam district of Seoul.

Coinbit’s owner, Chairman Choi Mo, and his management team are accused of inflating transaction volumes and manipulating token prices using a number of ghost accounts.

Police estimate that the fraudulent activities netted over 100 billion won ($84.26 million) in total.
The Seoul Shinmun was alerted to suspected wash trading on the exchange by an insider in May. Following an investigation, it found that, between August 2019 and May 2020, 99% of transactions on Exchange 1, where major cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin (BTC) were traded, had no corresponding deposit and withdrawal details.

In addition, it found that Exchange 2, which mainly listed smaller cryptocurrencies, blocked coin transactions with other exchanges, enabling Choi and his team to control the supply of coins. This allowed the management team to directly realize market margin by buying and selling large quantities of coins at certain times.

The publishing of the investigation findings was held back until after the police operation due to concerns about personal safety and destruction of evidence.

Wash trading on exchanges is a major problem for the cryptocurrency industry, with many legitimate traders lured into using low-liquidity exchanges based on fraudulent daily volume claims.

Just when you think that Technology has at last go the better of scammers, something like this pops up.
Sigh!
Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

Said 'Thanks' for this post: Mork  Pendragon  

early birds
post Posted: Aug 18 2020, 11:21 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Aug 18 2020, 07:25 AM

thought i'm really good with math

but really scratched my head for a lot of these formulars Mick.
if i can really understand all that, i will be a real scientist , not a shameless market scalper !! ohmy.gif

thank you to provide this, i guess some readers might understand them. not my little brain though!!

early birds
post Posted: Aug 18 2020, 09:42 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Aug 18 2020, 07:22 AM

Hate to disappoint you EB, but there is no reason why CB's won't keep digitally printing Virtual Currencies, just like they do now.

==========================
i actually appreciate your educational info.

only thing that i think this thingy can safe purchasing power [or against inflation] is all these CB's main purpose not just for easier the payments.

there is nothing in this world can really stop CB to printing after Nixon GOVT. decouple the gold standards at 70s ---it's like let the genie out of bottles

by witness the bitcoin performance ............i kinda think if the digital currency that issued by MAJOR CBs it might provide some kinda inflation protection and it they have solid back ups.

i could be wrong as we never encountered these things, it's all my ' educated guess works" . smile.gif

thank you for the info Mick!!

mullokintyre
post Posted: Aug 18 2020, 09:40 AM
  Quote Post

In another first for blockchain technology, the US Postal Serice h\earlier this year filed a patent application that uses blockchain tehcnology to provide bsecurity in a postal ballot system.
From The Twittersphere

The "United States Postal Service" is listed as the applicant on the application.

"Voters generally wish to be able to vote for elected officials or on other issues in a manner that is convenient and secure," the application says. "Further, those holding elections wish to be able to ensure that election results have not been tampered with and that the results actually correspond to the votes that were cast. In some embodiments, a blockchain allows the tracking of the various types of necessary data in a way that is secure and allows others to easily confirm that data has not been altered."

Equally as interesting as the patent itself is the fact that the application was filed before the coronavirus had wreaked total havoc on the country and long before the idea of mail in voting was being tossed around by pundits and the mainstream media on the daily.

be interesting to see how that one turns out!.
mick

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: royco  

mullokintyre
post Posted: Aug 18 2020, 07:25 AM
  Quote Post

Yo EB, If you are up to a bit of heavy reading, have a look at this article on bitcoin Here
As in any computer system, scalabilty is the key constraint.
Mick

--------------------

mullokintyre
post Posted: Aug 18 2020, 07:22 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: early birds's post @ Aug 18 2020, 06:34 AM

Hate to disappoint you EB, but there is no reason why CB's won't keep digitally printing Virtual Currencies, just like they do now.
There is no reason as to why there should be an upper theoretical or physical limit on the block chain technology.
The creator(s) of bitcoin, which is but one example of the use of blockchain , put a physical limit on it, but there is no reason that a new digital currency has to have that limit..
The biggest issue is going to be capacity.
For the blockchain technology to work safely and securely, there has to be a vast network of distributed computers to verify and store copies of the blockchain.
As the Blockchain technology is reliant on not being allowed to alter a blockchain unless a minimum of 51% of the computers storing the blockchain are in agreement, a secure system needs millions of computers.
As the number of transactions increase in real time, this level of computing power will increase exponentially.
Eventually, it will consume all the available electricity in the world!.
And of course there are always the hackers.Trying to get the magical 51% to agree to a change is a challenge for hackers that is just too good to pass up.
There is a group of hackers called the "51 crew" who spend their time trying to do just that.
For them to succeed needs control of 51% of the computers in the network. More computing power and electrons wasted.
Mick

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: early birds  

20 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING