Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

84 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

USD, American Dollar Discussion
NPH
post Posted: Jan 3 2019, 01:50 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Jan 3 2019, 11:54 AM

Not sure it's either? Who knows.

Pretty annoyed through, lucky I keep a small acc balance with my provider but still puts me back 3 months.

mullokintyre
post Posted: Jan 3 2019, 11:54 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: NPH's post @ Jan 3 2019, 10:27 AM

My conditional short order (GBP/AUD) was hit and liquidated within 2 minutes on that move. Wiped out 90% of my total account value. If I had enough margin that position would of been back in the money within another 7 minutes. Within 10 minutes the whole +5% move was over - unheard of?

I haven't seen anything like it, right at the edge of the bell curve.

So NPH, do ya reckon you are the victim of some fat fingers, or was it a deliberate play??
May stretch out the edge of that bell curve, highly suspicious IMHO.

Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

myshares
post Posted: Jan 3 2019, 11:36 AM
  Quote Post

Look like a China issue identified from the Apple guidance...

The tremor that rippled through global markets and sank our dollar after the release of data showing China’s manufacturing sector contracted for the first time in more than 18 months will be amplified by the steep revision downwards in Apple’s revenue guidance today.

It isn’t just the magnitude of the revision – two months after Apple was forecast revenue of between $US89 billion to $US93 billion for the December quarter it now says it will be about $US84 billion – but the reason for that downgrade.

Chief executive Tim Cook, in a letter to Apple shareholders, said that Apple had expected some challenges in key emerging markets but had not foreseen the magnitude of the economic deceleration, particularly in Greater China.

‘’In fact, most of our revenue shortfall to our guidance, and over 100 per cent of our year-over-year worldwide revenue decline, occurred in Greater China,’’ he said.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/markets/chi...103-p50pd2.html

Said 'Thanks' for this post: nipper  

NPH
post Posted: Jan 3 2019, 10:27 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Jan 3 2019, 09:19 AM

My conditional short order (GBP/AUD) was hit and liquidated within 2 minutes on that move. Wiped out 90% of my total account value. If I had enough margin that position would of been back in the money within another 7 minutes. Within 10 minutes the whole +5% move was over - unheard of?

I haven't seen anything like it, right at the edge of the bell curve.

Said 'Thanks' for this post: nipper  

mullokintyre
post Posted: Jan 3 2019, 09:19 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Jan 3 2019, 09:11 AM

Dunno Nip, but I suspect its just thin trading, but as we have seen in the past, these things can snowball.
While everyone stays on the thin trading bandwagon its ok.
If some start to think its more than that, the bandwagon can suddenly lookarather empty.
Mick

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Jan 3 2019, 09:11 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Jan 3 2019, 09:06 AM

Any triggers? Apart from thin trading? China wobbles?

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

mullokintyre
post Posted: Jan 3 2019, 09:06 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Jan 3 2019, 05:25 AM

BANG!
Shed another 2% since the open, showing 68.5 cents.
How long before inflation startes to creep p??
Mick

--------------------

mullokintyre
post Posted: Jan 3 2019, 05:25 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Dec 31 2018, 11:25 AM

Wow, talk about volatility!
AUD vs USD down 1% to sit below the 70 handle.
Been a little while, fist time in three years its been down in that territory.
Interesting times!
Mick

--------------------

mullokintyre
post Posted: Dec 31 2018, 11:25 AM
  Quote Post

Either there is a currency glitch, or the market is being manipulated(Nah, I hear you all say, that would NEVER happen).
Just checked currencies on Kitco, AUD up 2.8% against USD, the British pound up 15% against USD!.
The new volatillity??
Mick

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Jun 20 2018, 10:43 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Jun 20 2018, 09:44 PM

I kind of think currencies are the biggest mugs' game or at least the hardest to call. They aren't anything primary, really only the result of other actions. And have different hierarchies. I mean what is the EUR: AUD relationship when USD and Yuan or Yen exceed by orders of magnitude.

And then as a retail mug, don't get me started on perceived rates and what ends up in yr pocket, or on the statement!

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

84 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING