Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

6 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

CGF, CHALLENGER FINANCIAL SERVICES GROUP LIMITED
nipper
post Posted: Jun 16 2019, 07:50 PM
  Quote Post

At December 31, Challenger had $2.8 billion invested in sub investment-grade corporate credit and asset backed securities. It is also invested in catastrophe bonds. Other investments include the equities market, which it has put $800 million of collars on in an attempt to reduce the risk.

But it begs the question as to why an annuities business would invest in equities and catastrophe bonds anyway. This was answered at the investor day where the company pointed out that this was its highest returning asset class relative to the capital requirements.

- it is often stated that Risk equals Reward, it can also come back to bite you on the behind, with the enhanced risk being the downfall. Just rewards, maybe.

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

Said 'Thanks' for this post: kahuna1  

nipper
post Posted: Jun 13 2019, 03:54 PM
  Quote Post

Well, I rang that bell ...
Shares in annuity provider Challenger have dropped by 8 per cent in early trade ahead of its investor day, where the company is set to provide detail on profits at the low end of its guidance range.

In an presentation released to the market this morning, Challenger flagged full year normalised profit at the bottom of its previous $545 million to $565m guidance.

CGF shares fell to a three-year low of $6.72 at the open, last down 7.85 per cent to $7.04.

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

Said 'Thanks' for this post: kahuna1  

nipper
post Posted: Oct 27 2016, 12:24 PM
  Quote Post

Challenger Limited CGF) today announced two new key annuity relationships:
1. New annuity relationship with AMP to provide Challenger’s full range of annuity products through AMP’s investment and administration platforms; and
2. New annuity relationship with Mitsui Sumitomo Primary Life Insurance Company Limited, a leading provider of Australian dollar annuity and life insurance products in Japan.

CGF at an all-time high above $11; the Japanese would be happy with anything having a + in front of it.

--------------------

DJB1974
post Posted: Feb 23 2012, 07:19 PM
  Quote Post

This stock seems to wave pretty well for some one who is trying to ride the wave and make some dollars for my SMSF, this 1 seems to have hit the bottom of the wave and must soon swelll back up.

I guess the beauty of the sub $10 stocks is u get a lot for your dollar, and a small increase of just 50c a share can see a decent profit over a $10K lump buy.

is there any reason why this wouldnt be a good stock to apply the wave principal too? just putting it out there.

wolverine
post Posted: Sep 16 2009, 07:50 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: wolverine's post @ Sep 15 2009, 06:04 PM

http://www.smh.com.au/business/challenger-...90915-fpr5.html

Challenger focus on funds, life

ERIC JOHNSTON

September 16, 2009 A SECOND cornerstone shareholder has quit Challenger Financial Services this month, leaving the cashed-up life insurer and fund manager's share register wide open and vulnerable to takeover.

Last night Japan's Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group was attempting to raise $120 million from the sale of almost its entire 7 per cent stake in Challenger.

The sale comes just weeks after James Packer sold his long-held 21 per cent stake in Challenger Financial Services for nearly $400 million as he liquidated several sharemarket holdings as part of efforts to head off an incursion into Consolidated Media Holdings by Kerry Stokes.

Last night Morgan Stanley was placing 40 million shares at $3 each to institutional investors on behalf of two Mitsubishi UFJ entities - Mitsubishi UFJ Securities and the Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi.

The Japanese bank is likely to take a haircut after it initially paid $208 million or $5.20 a share when it first moved onto the Challenger register in late 2007 as the financial services group was stepping up plans to expand into Asia, mostly through the launch of a series of satellite funds.

Under its new chief executive, Dominic Stevens, Challenger has since turned its back on plans to become a one-stop financial services shop, and instead will focus purely on becoming a life insurer and funds manager. Last month it detailed plans to sell its mortgage unit to NAB for about $385 million, helping Challenger pay down debt and put acquisitions on the agenda to help drive growth.

This week BusinessDay reported NAB's planned move on Challenger's mortgage business has been coming under close scrutiny from the competition regulator. Although the transaction is not a bank-on-bank acquisition, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission's chairman, Graeme Samuel, said the deal would come under rigorous review.

Buffeted by investment markets, last month Challenger reported a net loss for the year to June 30 of $90.7 million, which compares with the loss of $44.2 million the previous year.

But normalised net profit, which excludes mark-to-market movements in Challenger's investment portfolio, was $218.9 million. This was steady on the previous year.

Challenger shares closed yesterday 4c lower at $3.17.

--------------------
TOO MANY CHIEFS

NOT ENOUGH INDIANS

wolverine
post Posted: Sep 15 2009, 06:04 PM
  Quote Post

after Packer recently sold down his stock @ $3.25 I hear that there is another significant line of stock being placed tonite at a slight discount.

--------------------
TOO MANY CHIEFS

NOT ENOUGH INDIANS

Said 'Thanks' for this post: hungry  

Featured Stock Stories

RADIO
post Posted: Sep 3 2007, 12:59 PM
  Quote Post

user posted image
Recent ShareScene.com Radio Broadcast (27/08/2007 11:30:00):
CGF - 2007 Full Year Results - Mr Michael Tilley, MD and CEO

N.B. ShareScene.com Radio can normally be accessed by the 'RADIO' link, top of every page.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ShareScene.com Radio delivers investor presentations from ASX listed companies. Keep up to date with the latest corporate dealings of the shares you follow. Hear news direct from the source. Listen to directors and investor relations mangers discuss their company, give investor updates and brief on current results. ShareScene.com Radio keeps you informed about company announcements and events, and provides you daily market wraps and industry discussions.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

david_j_c
post Posted: Aug 27 2007, 01:47 PM
  Quote Post

In reply to: Bill Gates on Friday 18/05/07 10:58am

Bill, Today's result looks even better than true. No subprime problems there.

Bill Gates
post Posted: May 18 2007, 10:58 AM
  Quote Post

In reply to: Kenuppa on Thursday 17/05/07 07:03pm

Ken, I didn't keep the link, it was a recent report on CGF that I found on the net.
It sounded far too good to be true....

--------------------
[b]DARN, DARN, DARN, DARN! [/b]

Kenuppa
post Posted: May 17 2007, 07:03 PM
  Quote Post

In reply to: Bill Gates on Thursday 17/05/07 04:47pm

Road of Clap!

Challenger has nothing like the structure of Macquarie Bank.
Who was the wanker that made that comparison?

Ken

6 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING