Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

Reply to this topic

market cap
texas4qld
post Posted: Apr 15 2005, 02:40 PM
  Quote Post

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/basics/03/031703.asp

Calculating Market Cap
Market capitalization is just a fancy name for a straightforward concept. Quite simply, it refers to the value of a company, that is, the market value of its outstanding shares. This figure is found by taking the stock price and multiplying it by the total number of shares outstanding. For example, if Cory's Tequila Corporation (CTC) was trading at $20 per share and had 1 million shares outstanding, then the market capitalization would be $20 million ($20 * 1 million shares). It's that simple.

Outstanding Shares
Stock currently held by investors, including restricted shares owned by the company's officers and insiders as well as those held by the public. Shares that have been repurchased by the company are not considered outstanding stock. They are also known as "issued shares" or "issued and outstanding".

--------------------
The above comments are just my opinions, do your own research before deciding to buy or sell.

texas4qld
post Posted: Apr 15 2005, 02:30 PM
  Quote Post

In reply to: orangeguy on Friday 15/04/05 02:15pm

Outstanding and issued mean the same thing.

Tex.

--------------------
The above comments are just my opinions, do your own research before deciding to buy or sell.

orangeguy
post Posted: Apr 15 2005, 02:15 PM
  Quote Post

is market cap calculated form the number of shares outstanding or number of shares on issue? I have read 2 defintions of market cap and from what i gather different exchanges uses differet interpretations (either one of the above 2)?

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING