Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

Reply to this topic

Getting Rich Your Own Way, by Brian Tracy, Achieve Financial Goals
How Important Is It to Set Financial Goals?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 50
Guests cannot vote 
kathy
post Posted: Mar 2 2007, 02:20 PM
  Quote Post

I have just begun reading "Getting Rich Your Own Way" by Brian Tracey. The book is set into nine chapters
-Learn how to become rich
-Become a money magnet
-Invest for success
-Start with nothing
-Build your own Business
-Market and Sell anything
-Get the money you need
-Think and Grow rich
-Learn from the best
-Lead the field
and numerous sub-chapters within. I currently am half way through "start with nothing"
What do I think of this book? well, so far the book does have some good motivational messages, and I did particularly enjoy the chapter "Invest for Success"but, I must admit the chapter "become a money magnet" had me in stitches.

Cheers
Kathy

skorpian
post Posted: Dec 24 2006, 02:15 PM
  Quote Post

Finally finished the Getting Rich Your Own Way book by Brian Tracy, and it clearly wasn’t for me.

My initial impressions were correct.

The book is more for those who are in to sales and motivation. Those motivational books, tapes and courses.

Perhaps the best example (and the one that sunk it for me) was the talk of the “Golden hour” which is what you do that first hour in the morning.

He suggests people try his formula for 21 days – the positive Mental Attitude Diet. For the first hour each day, before the newspaper, Tv or radio.. spend 30-60 minutes reading something motivational, inspirational or educational… then take a notebook and write out your top 10-15 goals in the present sense (rewriting those from yesterday), plan the day, listen to educational tapes in the car on the way to work etc… and you do that every day !

Then it is sales talk, motivational talk, go, go, go stuff.

I am sure this book is good for some people – but you have to like this sort of stuff…. and it just isnt for me, and therefore the book wasn’t for me.

skorpian
post Posted: Dec 23 2006, 01:17 AM
  Quote Post

Finally had some time off to be able to pick up this book.

Title should have been tempting. Getting Rich Your Own Way.... but the vibes are not feeling good in the first few pages.

Couple of reasons I feel cautious as I start to read it

It has that highly motivational feeling about it - and clearly I needed a holiday.

You will discover the five major sources of self-made millionaires, and the 18 principles, ideas, and concepts you need to program your mind for total success. You will learn...Ouch ! He acknowledges in the first chapter it is written in American... but it feels like American motivational pump up and sell and succeed speak. ... Might get better as the holiday proceeds...

The next problem I had was with the five ways to become rich:
1) Become an Entrepeneur
2) Work your way up
3) Become a Professional
4) Get into Sales
5) All the others - including the stock market, inventions, winning the lotteries, and writing books and songs.

Number 5 makes up 1% of self made millionaires according to Tracy
... well not in this book Club. wacko.gif

Will report back as I proceed
... but feeling negative about this being a book I would recommend. ph34r.gif

romaioi
post Posted: Sep 21 2006, 03:07 AM
  Quote Post

G'day Colaiscute,

Looks like its just you and me so far. I have just started reading it. I agree, its more a mindset book as opposed to a trading book. Like you, I don’t mind reading this kind of stuff. Most of my reading, to date, has been technical, so a change to this sort of thing for a bit is ok.

So far I find that this one is that American infomercial style of book. Except this one has substance to it. Unlike the “Rich Dad Poor Dad” series, from which I have had the displeasure of reading a few, this one actually spells out how to do certain things, in order to at least get you started in some sort of direction. And when it waffles, it does not do so for too long.

I like the use of statistics that I have seen so far as this adds to validity of the arguments presented.

Though, I am sure that Brian Tracy is now making plenty of money through the sale of his books, his highlighting his lack of money until he was around 30 years old is somewhat heartening. I am around that age and, whilst I have not wasted money, I certainly did not have much. I certainly felt like I was behind the eightball, given that many good friends have made packets of money while I wasted time doing a PhD that, as a career, realistically leads to very little financial security.

I like the books focus on getting the right attitude and particularly like the idea of the 21 day mental- attitude diet, though I would not follow what Tracy suggests to the letter.

Its kind of like….finance meets Anthony Robbins. I wonder how my interest will be maintained as I get deeper into the book. I have attempted the Kyosaki and Robbins' books and ultimately put them down, unfinished, thinking that they were simply (infomercial style) rubbish. This one seams to be one that will hold my interest.

--------------------
Carpe Diem - its the brush head way.

colaiscute
post Posted: Sep 1 2006, 05:54 PM
  Quote Post

Im on a bit of a reading spree at the moment (inpsired by the ShareScene Book Club).... just finished Artful Stock Picker and Break Through Trading.

Picked up this one "Getting Rich Your Own Way" yesterday aswell, and will start reading tonight.

This book is not really a share trading book. Its all about getting into the mindset of a rich person. Talks about property, business, investment, money management, building positive relationships.... all in all its about deciding what type of wealth you want, and working out a plan on how to get there, then absorbing all the concepts about wealth (in a highly summarised, digested form) and letting them float around in your mind.

I dont expect this book will give me many concrete answers... probably more one of those books that helps you to find the right questions to ask, and makes you assess if your current focus is correct.

I dont mind too much, Im eager for a light read after my last book (Break Through Trading - full of heavy concepts and formulae)

Has anyone read this book yet? what do I have to expect of it?

Any advice for reading the book?

--------------------
colaiscute

colaiscute
post Posted: Jul 23 2006, 10:02 PM
  Quote Post

Brian Tracy... very well known name.

I'm hoping to get a copy of this book soon. I get the impression that its a more general goal setting book... getting into the mindset of a wealthy person etc.

I think these books are just as valuable as the more technical HOW TO share trading books.

Need to have both sides (technical and philosophical) to be a real winner IMO.

--------------------
colaiscute

sentifi.com

Share Cafe Sentifi Top themes and market attention on:

BOOK CLUB
post Posted: May 23 2006, 12:06 AM
  Quote Post

This topic has been created for open and free discussion of "Getting Rich Your Own Way" by Brian Tracy. Please feel free to post any comments or questions you have about this book. If possible, state page and chapter numbers for those who have the book to refer to.

WIN FREE BOOKS: Each week, members who make quality and interesting posts about this book or any other book in the ShareScene Book Club will be offered a free copy of a John Wiley investment book of their choice.

These book prizes are given to members who support and encourage intelligent discussion in the book club. Simply make a post in any of the Book Club topics to be in the running for a free book.

BOOK CLUB
post Posted: May 23 2006, 12:05 AM
  Quote Post

FRONT COVER
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Getting_Rich_Your_Own_Way_f.jpg ( 144.94K ) Number of downloads: 0

BOOK CLUB
post Posted: May 23 2006, 12:05 AM
  Quote Post

BACK COVER
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Getting_Rich_Your_Own_Way__.png ( 76.65K ) Number of downloads: 0

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING