Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

A reminder to all members that you agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

20 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

Charting Software, Whats the best to use?
flower
post Posted: Dec 29 2017, 07:00 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: arty's post @ Dec 24 2017, 12:09 AM

Agreed 100% and again..... thanks.

--------------------
Combining Fundamental comments with Fundamental charts.

arty
post Posted: Dec 24 2017, 12:09 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: flower's post @ Dec 23 2017, 12:32 PM

I use IncredibleCharts.com
It really is the bees' knees among the free packages. It's got a Gazillion indicators and, even more importantly, is filled with educational material that tells you how they're to be used.

Attached File  bhp_ax13dec17_to_31jul18.png ( 16.72K ) Number of downloads: 5

--------------------
I trade daily, but I am not a licensed adviser. Whether you find my ideas reasonable or not: The only person responsible for your actions is YOU.
I follow two rules: (1) There are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. (2) Whatever is inconsistent with observed facts must be discarded or revised. We must understand the Market as it is and not confuse how it is with how we wish it to be. (inspired by Carl Sagan)

Said 'Thanks' for this post: flower  

flower
post Posted: Dec 23 2017, 12:32 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: flower's post @ Jun 25 2010, 12:00 AM

7 years later...can anybody update me on free charting sites, am more than happy with an end of day system where I can create my own basic indicators which when set remain in place on a day by day basis.

Items like commodities and USD Index required.

Thanks in anticipation.

--------------------

flower
post Posted: Jun 25 2010, 12:00 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: chum1155's post @ Jun 24 2010, 10:53 PM

Chum et al: A fellow member commented the other day that 80% of market players leave the market with less than they started with.

You want to make sure you start off, and remain in the remaining 20%!

To do that certain expenditure is required, call it "tools of trade" and something akin to MA software surely has to be one such item. Tools of trade cost money to buy, money to run, but they remain just that --a tool of your trade. You wouldn't be a brickie without your own cement mixer, wheelbarrows, scaffolding, 4wd, and ghetto blaster!

Some of us have been with MA for nearly 15 years, in the old days we bought the software ($8/10,000) and then paid for data.
Today when you get the software for nothing, remember the pioneer developer members!

Being one of the "older" hands who have recently migrated into Trader Dealer and Platinum software, I remain very pleased with the service, Platinum is now a very stable platform and can choose which functions of the Analyser I want to use. Using their phone facility I can report that the initial contact by dedicated line is usually immediate, and the execution equally immediate, he/she press a key, you watch your trade go through on your MDS live data, easy.

Youve got all the ASX announcements, company search facilities, computer driven transaction record keeping, etc etc all in one platform.

Intraday charts convey the sheer immediacy, and sometimes the size of daily moves, which explain/confirm what you hear and see in the bigger picture.

--------------------

chum1155
post Posted: Jun 24 2010, 10:53 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: sax's post @ Jun 24 2010, 08:08 PM

Hi Sax
Thanks for getting back - I appreciate your feedback. For what it's worth I too have progressed down the Market Analyser path and and I am using the Platinum version. I decided upon the MA software largely because it appeared to me that many of the posters on SS for whom I have developed considerable respect also have been using MA. I thought "if its OK for them then it certainly has to be OK for me ...!" While it is undoubtedly an excellent program, undoubtedly however my biggest grievance has been with the lack of educational support. Unlike many other packages which seem to have very good support and training capability this is all but non-existent with MA (although I am assured that this is "soon" to be rectified ...). That criticism apart I have received wonderful assistance from several MA users and this has enabled me to eventually come to terms with it.
I chose the Platinum version because after using delayed data for a while I became very frustrated not knowing what's happenning "now". Also it occurs to me that the successful TA traders place considerable emphasis upon the intraday charts for helping determine entry (and exit) points, especially in the current volatile market.
The cost - well true it is expensive but I believe that you pay for what you get ...Out of interest I have just signed up with MDS's Trader Dealer (who also supply MA) because that way I have got a good deal by which the cost of the MA software and Live Data is considerably offset against the cost of trading.
Cheers Chum

sax
post Posted: Jun 24 2010, 08:08 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: chum1155's post @ Mar 5 2010, 09:13 AM

Wow, sorry guys, didn't realise I got asked a question several months back tongue.gif I'll answer it anyway for potential software lookers. Sorry if this seems long, but I think it could be relevant

I ended up purchasing Market Analyser Gold with Arty's help (an absolutely top bloke) - quite a nice program, but it is a bit expensive to say the least. The post I made looking for a software was when I just started trading, since then I made small gains and small losses; discovered that my trading strategy had a profitability of 50/50, and since that's almost considered as gambling the markets, I decided to stop and not trade live again till I come up with a new set of strategies and rules. Through my new learning curve, I came across trading Forex and fell in love with it. I guess when you get into forex, you start to oppose the idea of having to pay for a market software and/or its data - I stopped paying MA's subscription and stuck with forex trading, good market to trade!

I found this thread because I want to get back into trading equities again, but I don't think I can justify paying the MA Gold subscription of $69/month. MA Gold is filled with great features, but I barely touched any of them apart from experimenting here and there - I guess it's considered for complex traders, and especially those looking for live market data. If you just want to analyse charts for patterns and draw lines here and there, MA Gold is an overkill for that

But overall, MDS made a great program and I want to continue using it for trading, so I'm seriously considering using the Bronze version, which seems to have all the basic features without adding a cherry on top. $35/month is acceptable

So from my rant, consider what kind of trader you are and what your strategies might be. I in no way would ever insult MA Gold as it's easily the best equities trading software I have ever used, but the subscription fee is something that needs serious consideration. Read what features the Gold version comes with and see if it's something you'll be using or not - Gold has a heft $440 purchase fee

That's it for my review wink.gif goodluck with your choices

Featured Stock Stories

flower
post Posted: Mar 5 2010, 09:19 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: sax's post @ Jun 26 2009, 12:31 PM

Sax--recognise the saxaphone player?

Being a fairly early user of the MDS platform one of main benefits to me has been the inclusive makeup
of the system--ie everything is available through just one platform.

Taken me many years to master the ability to construct my own charts--see VIX and Oil Gold Ratio today.

--------------------

chum1155
post Posted: Mar 5 2010, 09:13 AM
  Quote Post

Hi Sax
Could you please provide some feedback about how you have found the Market Analyser software. I too am investigating its use so keen to get a response about the good and the bad...?
Thanks Chum

Brendan
post Posted: Dec 17 2009, 09:43 AM
  Quote Post

Sax did you end up buying MA Pro...... if not what did you end up buying ??

sax
post Posted: Jun 26 2009, 12:31 PM
  Quote Post

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Pardon my late response, been some busy few days

I installed MA Pro this morning and have been playing with it for over 4 hours now (going through that annoying phaze of changing to a new program). There's a few things that I like, and a few things that could be better - but will keep playing with it

flower: not quite yet, but that's the kind of look I'd want in the end

Thanks for the helpful response malfrey; I didn't realize choosing a program could be so time consuming. I'm going to play around with MA Pro for maybe a few days, and whether I'm happy with it or not I'll definitely checkout/investigate the ones you mentioned before making a commitment to purchase

Thanks everyone, this board is certainly helpful smile.gif

20 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING