Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

2 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 >   

Reply to this topic

Fires around Margaret River
flower
post Posted: Dec 2 2011, 07:20 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: arty's post @ Dec 2 2011, 02:37 PM

Have just heard that evacuation notices have been given to parts of Augusta and all Molloy Island, this is fast becoming a very major scandal IMO, cannot confirm if it is the consequences of the Nannup controlled burn that went horribly wrong, or an extension of the MRiver debacle or something else, but the firefighters down here (mostly volunteers) are getting very weary.

Should you wish to help---- you could donate to one of the many funds set up to help those that lost everything and suffered enormous personal stresses.

PS; $600,000 already raised, Lord Mayors Distress Fund is one such fund. (tax deductable)

--------------------
Combining Fundamental comments with Fundamental charts.

arty
post Posted: Dec 2 2011, 02:37 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: flower's post @ Dec 2 2011, 12:44 PM

yeah - heard it in the early news today.
Another sign of the gross incompetence of our public servants; will those lipopygian nincompoops ever learn?
Whose back will they now hide behind?
What a disaster!

--------------------
I trade daily, but I am not a licensed adviser. Whether you find my ideas reasonable or not: The only person responsible for your actions is YOU.
I follow two rules: (1) There are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. (2) Whatever is inconsistent with observed facts must be discarded or revised. We must understand the Market as it is and not confuse how it is with how we wish it to be. (inspired by Carl Sagan)

flower
post Posted: Dec 2 2011, 12:44 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: Dave_vic_ozz's post @ Dec 2 2011, 12:38 PM

Dave--happy to report our families all OK, but it was a very close call. Unfortunately I spoke to soon, we now have another situation developing, probably 30K's from MR, but it is very hot today with a very strong wind.

PEOPLE near Nannup, in WA's south-west, are today at risk from an out-of-control fire.

An emergency warning has been issued for people within a 5km radius of the junction of Milyeannup Coast Rd and Woodarburrup Rd.

At 5am (WST), the fire was west of White Point Rd and burning in a west-north-west direction after crossing Wapet Track.

The Department of Environment and Conservation is now warning residents that there is a threat to lives and homes, and they should act immediately to survive.

A bushfire watch and act alert remains in place for people west of Lake Quitjup and Black Point and White Point roads for a fire that how has entered private property and Gingilup Swamps Nature Reserve west of D'Entrecasteaux National Park, south-west of Nannup, 282km south of Perth.

________________________________________________________________________________
Smoke will be highly visible in these areas and there is a possible threat to homes and conditions are changing with south-
easterly winds forecast to remain strong for the rest of the evening.

The Department of Environment and Conservation reported that the bushfire is moving slowly in an eastern direction towards Milyeannup Coast Rd at 50 metres per hour.

It is out of control and unpredictable, with flames are one to five metres high.

The fire is burning in tea-tree and paperbark wetlands and access is limited because of boggy conditions. Currently there has been more than 38,800 hectares burnt.

Eighty five career and volunteer Bush Fire Service, Department of Environment and Conservation, Shire of Nannup and plantation industry firefighters are working to strengthen containment lines. They are back burning away from Milyeannup Coast Rd.

White Point Rd and Black Point Rd remain closed, and motorists should avoid the area and be aware of fire and other emergency services personnel working on site.

All recreation sites in the Lake Jasper and Donnelly River areas are closed.

The blaze was first reported last Wednesday.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/fire-...2#ixzz1fLERikYf

--------------------

Dave_vic_ozz
post Posted: Dec 2 2011, 12:38 PM
  Quote Post

Flower,

Good news in the bad news. smile.gif

Happy to hear all is well for you.

dave

--------------------
My comments reflect the moment in which they were posted.
Everything can change, and usually does, without notice.

arty
post Posted: Nov 27 2011, 09:53 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: flower's post @ Nov 26 2011, 06:43 PM

3 public meetings of around 700 affected parties have made their feelings crystal clear.

I can't recall too many precedents, where a citizens' meeting has succeeded in holding an official responsible.
Regardless, whether the blunder happened in a Government position or by a lypopygian nincompoop in Administration. Already, it appears that the Minister pays lip service: "I'll apologise to anybody that requests an apology", which implies that he will utter some words, but pass the buck to the taxpayer. In bygone days, when serving the Public was considered an honour, the buck would stop at the top of the responsible department or, if the appointment had been made by the minister, the buck stopped here. Today, the "Honourable" is merely a title without meaning, hollow as the trough that feeds the snouts.

Anyway, let's be thankful that no lives were lost. Material possessions can be replaced, irrespective of the heartache some "irreplaceable" mementos and heirlooms will cause. Let's hope there won't ensue any bickering and dickering about how much the Insurance will cover and which insurance will apply. We, the taxpayers, will be stuck with the bill anyway. Maybe the Minister will at least have the guts to insist on speedy and full monetary compensation.

--------------------
I trade daily, but I am not a licensed adviser. Whether you find my ideas reasonable or not: The only person responsible for your actions is YOU.
I follow two rules: (1) There are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. (2) Whatever is inconsistent with observed facts must be discarded or revised. We must understand the Market as it is and not confuse how it is with how we wish it to be. (inspired by Carl Sagan)

flower
post Posted: Nov 27 2011, 04:30 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: flower's post @ Nov 26 2011, 06:43 PM

Pleased to report the fire emergency is basically over--- barring totally unexpected weather condition changes.
No loss of life, no major injuries.

--------------------

sentifi.com

Share Cafe Sentifi Top themes and market attention on:

flower
post Posted: Nov 26 2011, 06:43 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: arty's post @ Nov 26 2011, 06:02 PM

I'm speechless
arty--been to all the meetings on behalf of some people trapped within their properties unable to leave until the area declared safe (they stayed behind to defend their properties)---know our local MP's well, they are only too aware of just that point, am told it will be adressed, 3 public meetings of around 700 affected parties have made their feelings crystal clear.

The format of any official enqiry hasn't been formulated just yet--it will happen--as the current accent is on stabilising the situation so people can ether return home or at least view their house remains. Some roads now opened, but it's not a pretty sight.

--------------------

arty
post Posted: Nov 26 2011, 06:02 PM
  Quote Post

And incredible as it sounds, the incompetence has a precedent: http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/newsh...boorabbin-link/
A Government official labelled as extremely incompetent over the 2007 fire deaths of three truck drivers near Coolgardie approved the prescribed burn that resulted in the devastating Margaret River fire.In his inquest findings into the deaths in the Boorabbin National Park, Coroner Alastair Hope was scathing of the Department of Environment and Conservation's Brad Commins for failing to read and act on vital weather forecasts leading up to the deaths.

He said Mr Commins was one of three DEC officers whose "complete failure" to consider high quality weather information "was a major factor in the poor decision making".

"This constituted extreme incompetence," Mr Hope found.

The findings prompted Mr Commins to stand down from his DEC role. But he was reinstated last year by the department's director-general Keiran McNamara and has been managing the Blackwood region.

I'm speechless.

--------------------

flower
post Posted: Nov 26 2011, 10:16 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: flower's post @ Nov 25 2011, 02:00 PM

Better news again today, though property losses increase to approx 40 houses destroyed, 10 damaged. Fire now appears contained. No injuries thus far. The level of public support for MR residents and the 400 firefighters is overwhelming and much appreciated.

--------------------

flower
post Posted: Nov 25 2011, 02:00 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: flower's post @ Nov 24 2011, 08:27 PM

Far better news today with lower winds and cooler conditions. Fire seems stabilised after more property losses yesterday. 3 days of mopping up are now required. Some people allowed back to view their own properties later today.

The Jimmy Barnes weekend concert at nearby Sandleford Estate that was in danger of cancellation now allowed to proceed.
Miraculously there appears no injuries to anybody, including the 400 firefighters plus their support crews.

--------------------

2 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 >

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING