Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

7 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

Electric Vehicles, the Investment Ecosystem
nipper
post Posted: May 1 2021, 10:30 AM
  Quote Post

I found this article, by a Platinum analyst, to be quite informative.

Automakers: Driving Over a Cliff?

https://www.sharecafe.com.au/2021/04/30/aut...g-over-a-cliff/
The automotive industry is at a tipping point. Hundreds of billions of dollars are now in the process of being permanently redirected towards electric vehicles. This disruption means a large part of the existing US$3 trillion automotive market is in play, with incumbents, entrepreneurs and governments all scrambling for share. The hyper valuation of new entrants and historically low valuations of incumbents points to the market's assessment of the winners and losers. We're less sure....

It is argued from the point of view of where the manager will put their investment dollars; and the implied conclusion, especially when looking at current valuations, is the incumbents should not be written off.
The prize for whoever can crack the EV market and its various sub-segments (manufacturing, components, infrastructure, software, batteries) is massive. The sheer scale of the industry, means even taking a small share of the pie could be incredibly profitable. The pie gets even bigger if we also try to estimate the potential value of the autonomous driving economy.

Some very interesting points are raised about Tesla/ Musk: The secret ingredient to Tesla's success, however, is likely its high vertical integration, which is unique in the auto world. The company designs its own battery cells, computer chips and software. It also manufactures a high proportion of its value-added parts (including battery packs, motors), assembles its own vehicles, sells directly to consumers and runs its own charging network. This vertical integration was necessitated by holes in the nascent electric vehicle ecosystem at the time, and means the business is closer to its customers, can run on lower costs (by shaving supplier margins) and innovate quickly. However, the downside of this model is that it ties up significant capital and leaves the business chronically reliant on growth, which can be dangerous in a cyclical and competitive industry.

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

Said 'Thanks' for this post: Pendragon  early birds  

nipper
post Posted: Apr 5 2021, 11:41 AM
  Quote Post

The next electric-car battery champion could be European

With Europe expected to lead the world in electric car sales for a second straight year, an epic rush to build a battery-supply chain from scratch is playing out across the continent. After years of ceding the EV battery business to foreign companies, Europe wants in. Prospective manufacturers are popping up in the Nordic region, Germany, France, the UK and Poland in a transcontinental competition to chip away at the dominance of China's Contemporary Amperex Technology and South Korea's LG Energy Solution.

Fuelled by state support of at least 6.1 billion euros ($7.3 billion) and investment plans totaling 10 times that in just one year, the race is on for a regional champion to emerge. The contestants include startups Northvolt AB in Sweden, Britishvolt and France's Automotive Cells Co, and powerhouses Tesla and Volkswagen.

Bloomberg NEF estimates the continent could see its share of global battery production rise to 31 per cent by 2030 from just 7 per cent last year.......

https://boards.sharecafe.com.au/index.php?a...ew_last_x_posts

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

nipper
post Posted: Mar 31 2021, 08:52 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Feb 6 2021, 03:37 PM

and another wink.gif makeover wink.gif

VW's leaked brand-name change to 'Voltswagen' a marketing stunt
Volkswagen supposedly accidentally posted the press release on its move as it tries to distance itself from an emissions cheating scandal
I would not trust them. All the jingoistic screaming and shouting from VW calling Australia an EV black hole is mere marketing and spin on their behalf, to try and make commercial advantage over their rivals.

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Feb 6 2021, 03:37 PM
  Quote Post

This article is a bit dewy eyed, but we're on a trajectory ...

GM; from dinosaur to disruptor

https://www.sharecafe.com.au/2021/02/05/gm-...r-to-disruptor/

--------------------

mullokintyre
post Posted: Feb 2 2021, 08:58 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Feb 2 2021, 08:35 AM

Yeah well, out of the cities we have such shit roads that most rice burners fall apart in no time.
Still wouldn't mind having an electric truck, but it would need some more range than whats on offer right now.
Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

henrietta
post Posted: Feb 2 2021, 08:35 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Feb 1 2021, 08:21 PM

I can see that you are an Easy Rider fan Mick ! But itís not just the rednecks that love their big pick-ups. Out of the cities itís the vehicle to have.

Cheers
J

--------------------
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." Satchel Paige

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

mullokintyre
post Posted: Feb 1 2021, 08:21 PM
  Quote Post

From Unsealed 4X4
General Motors in the U.S. has just announced it will scrap petrol- and diesel-powered Silverado models before 2035 in a move to make the company carbon neutral by 2040.
General Motors (GM) has become the first big U.S. vehicle manufacturer to effectively scrap fossil-fuelled vehicles such as the Silverado 1500, confirming overnight that it is making the move to electric vehicles only, in its car, SUV and truck (light-duty) markets. According to a report in the Washington Post, GM has confirmed this will happen before 2035, making the company the next major auto manufacturer to join the likes of Toyota with a carbon-neutral standpoint by putting an end to fossil-fuelled vehicles by that year.

A GM executive, who asked for anonymity to describe details of the GM shift, said that the company would spend $US27 billion on electric vehicles and associated products between 2020 and 2025, outstripping spending on conventional gasoline and diesel cars. That figure includes refurbishing factories and investing in battery production in conjunction with LG Chem, a South Korean battery maker.

The fine print might be interesting. They have not said they will phase out ICE's all together. They still have the HD and large truck division which might still be populated by ICE's after that date. It just means they will have to purchase carbon credits, or maybe plant trees where the staff car park used to be.

I wonder whether RAM trucks and Ford (Ranger, F150-250-350-450) will follow suit.
They might just decide to keep them running to satisfy the need of all those redneck farm boys in the mid west.
mick

--------------------

Mags
post Posted: Jan 20 2021, 05:11 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Jan 20 2021, 01:24 PM

That's probably how they'll get the electric car brigade in the end: Charging overnight at home paying taxes... or at a fast charge servo... paying taxes.
The missing revenue from fuel excise and GST is going to be needed from somewhere.....

henrietta
post Posted: Jan 20 2021, 01:51 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Jan 20 2021, 01:24 PM

"metalloid nanoparticles" apparently ?? Maybe they help, but as you say, the amount of current still has to pass, and very large cable is the answer if it's going to happen quickly.

Cheers
J

--------------------
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." Satchel Paige

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

mullokintyre
post Posted: Jan 20 2021, 01:24 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: balance's post @ Jan 20 2021, 01:06 PM

about 200 amps from 240 volts supply,
That would be interesting.
Probably need a solid copper busbar for that!
Mick

--------------------

7 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING