Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

A reminder to all members that you agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

503 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

CRICKET
henrietta
post Posted: Apr 21 2020, 08:12 AM
  Quote Post

Yet he has a remarkable track record of success and navigating crises, from beating the bookmakers in the High Court and surviving equine influenza. V’landys also runs a lean operation in racing. No big bloated head offices. Every cost is watched closely.

Can we get V'landy's to take over CA as well ........... please !!!

Cheers
J

--------------------
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." Satchel Paige

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

henrietta
post Posted: Mar 13 2020, 05:17 PM
  Quote Post

Gampalage Shehan Naveendra De Fonseka Gunawarna Jayasuriya

This Sri Lankan player must spend half his life filling out forms. smile.gif

Cheers
J

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: nipper  mullokintyre  

henrietta
post Posted: Mar 13 2020, 05:05 PM
  Quote Post

Time to dump Short, Marsh and Carey.

Cheers
J

--------------------

henrietta
post Posted: Mar 12 2020, 03:00 PM
  Quote Post

Spit and polish may disappear in coronavirus era

With spit and polish on the nose for cricket balls, maybe it's time to re-think the use of sandpaper ?? We Aussies are always ahead of the game !! biggrin.gif

Cheers
J

--------------------

henrietta
post Posted: Mar 9 2020, 01:48 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: triage's post @ Mar 9 2020, 01:24 PM

So given that the top female elite batters have similar skills-sets to the male elite batters but are facing much slower bowlers how come the female Bradman or even Smith has not emerged?

Give them some time T !! Remember, there's only been one Bradman in 130 years, and a few about half as good. My concern is that there might be one or two who decide to put on some extra bulk , as in most other sports. Or, heaven forbid, cricket will see a sex-change hero who wants to dominate the sport.

I think we will gradually see an increase in body strength, so bowling will get a bit faster, and some of the bowling techniques are a bit less than ideal. Upper body strength is a big difference in the sexes, and plays a big role in cricket in both batting and bowling. The women will get bigger and stronger I'm sure.

And there'll be a female Bradman come along ........ or maybe not. Perhaps a Vivienne Rishards ??

Cheers
J

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: triage  

triage
post Posted: Mar 9 2020, 01:24 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Mar 8 2020, 09:19 PM

One thing I can't figure ...

Clearly it terms of brute strength elite female athletes cannot compete with elite male athletes, but in terms of technique, timing, hand/eye coordination, concentration etc I'm not aware that there should be any differences due to gender.

The brute strength aspect is covered by having shorter boundaries but it also manifests in female bowlers not being able to bowl at the same speeds as their male counterparts. There are a number of elite male bowlers who regularly bowl at above 140 k's but my impression is that the fastest female bowlers struggle to stay in the 120's. A male bowler regularly bowling in the 120's at the elite level is cannon fodder, unless he is very wiley (remember Peter Siddle being dropped when he dropped his speed and for a while lost his ability to move the ball).

So given that the top female elite batters have similar skills-sets to the male elite batters but are facing much slower bowlers how come the female Bradman or even Smith has not emerged?

(but yeah huge congratulations to the aussies, things looked very shaky as recently as half way through their second pool game.)

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

Mozart fixes everything and Messi is a dog

Featured Stock Stories

mullokintyre
post Posted: Mar 8 2020, 09:19 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Mar 8 2020, 08:37 PM

And a massive crowd of 84,000!
Atmosphere was great, even watching on TV.
Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

henrietta
post Posted: Mar 8 2020, 08:37 PM
  Quote Post

Well done Australian Women's cricket team ........ another World Cup in the pocket. Talk about a comprehensive win, it can't get much better, including taking all ten wickets ..... in a T20 !!!

Indian women were never in it, but will no doubt be better for the experience. I think the Aussie coach is Matthew Mott, so a big congrats to him and his crew as well.

Cheers
J

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: Pendragon  

henrietta
post Posted: Mar 8 2020, 08:30 AM
  Quote Post

If Mitch Marsh is the best all-rounder we've got, then no wonder the Saffas thrashed us.Yes, he scored a few runs each innings, but didn't materially help Australia's cause, because he scored too slowly.

His bowling efforts were 15.5 overs for 107 runs and zero wickets. However he's the coach's darling, so there you go. What are the selectors doing. one might well ask?

Anyway, good to see the young South Africans have a good series win.

Cheers
J

--------------------

henrietta
post Posted: Mar 6 2020, 01:27 PM
  Quote Post

Good old Usman Khawaja ...... wins the toss and fields ....... again. I do get the feeling that he doesn't want to risk his personal figures on a responsive pitch.

I hope Queensland finds a better captain soon.

Cheers
J

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: Pendragon  

503 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING