Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

122 Pages (Click to Jump) V  « < 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 > »    

Reply to this topic

Gold, Gold Companies worth buying
marleon
post Posted: Nov 3 2008, 10:48 AM
  Quote Post

In reply to: flower on Monday 03/11/08 08:36am

Just a bit more thought on this scenario, as TG is a schoolie, he/she would have no taxable income, therefore is cgt an issue or NO, considering there would be no marginal tax rate to issue it against, Just curious for any answer on the state of play here.
Cheers MARLEON biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
There are three types of trader, those that can count, and those that can't !!!!!!

marleon
post Posted: Nov 3 2008, 10:38 AM
  Quote Post

G'Day Flower, I am assuming that your siblings may well be off your hands.
Mine however, the youngest at 14, so in what you and I would have known as first year high, now grade 8 in SA, just came home with a 'IT' bill for me where, (thanks to Kevin Rudds every child a lappy routine, which I don't disagree with) the school has taken it upon themselves to go for the top of the range identical for each and every child, thus the rudd subsidy covers just shy less than half and I am up for 1600.00 roughly over the next 4 years at 400 a year (which I do disagree with), and apparently I don't own it at the end of the day. !!!!!!!!!!! (latest whisper, needs checking.)

my, HOW THINGS HAVE CHANGED. and so I think there might be every possibilty that Tylergold will most likely have a laptop to himself and be able to cart it around all day, in fact be required to do so, and have the required access.

To that end any advice he can get from the pundits here the earlier the better, then all power to him and those that give it. It probably means also he may very well retire before I do, lol.

Cheers marleon. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
There are three types of trader, those that can count, and those that can't !!!!!!

Snowpony
post Posted: Nov 3 2008, 09:53 AM
  Quote Post

Flower
my comments weren't meant to critical towards you, you have your way of doing things & I have mine.
everyone's stop loss level should be set according to their trading plan & that's the next point unless you have a written plan your also "dancing with the devil on the edge of a very large abyss", as you learn & experience "the market" you realize that there is many different ways to "skin the cat" & many different ways for "the cat to skin you".
Business plans should & do evolve along the way to suit the current conditions & thinking of the plan writer.

Most online & traditional brokers have conditional orders available to their customer base & since I think you should know your exit both on the upside & downside before entering any trade, TG can execute the trade out of trading hours then go to school.

TG do some paper trading to learn what sort of trading style suits you
make & take responsibility for all your own decisions
By all means ask as many questions as you need to so as to better educate yourself but never take a trade because someone else thinks it's good value only you can determine that
cheers

Said 'Thanks' for this post: arty  

flower
post Posted: Nov 3 2008, 08:36 AM
  Quote Post

In reply to: Snowpony on Monday 03/11/08 12:39am

S: Since Tylergold is still at school during trading hours, and unless he is lucky enough to be able to cart around a laptop all day, which seems unlikely, and since he is looking for a two month trade minimum seemingly based on fundamentals, and presumably a stop loss would be around the 1.80 mark, and given the fact the market is so skittish at the moment, in this instance--bearing in mind all the inpracticalities--that suggestion was made.

Your point taken nevertheless.

--------------------
Combining Fundamental comments with Fundamental charts.

arty
post Posted: Nov 3 2008, 08:22 AM
  Quote Post

QUOTE (Tylergold @ Monday 03/11/08 04:48am)

I'm with snowpony, Tyler
Don't be myopically focused on one single stock; don't be overconfident that "you know it all".
Have a look at Lihir over the past ten years, then ask yourself how long you'd had to wait for a decent profit had you believed in the experts recommending Lihir at $1.60 in early 1999.
Look how the advice "forget stop loss" had affected your $1.60 by mid-2000.

Open your eyes and mind: Check a few other stocks and learn how to recognise channels and market action. And be very wary of people who complain "The Market got it wrong." It usually means that market reality went against their preconceived ideas. ohmy.gif
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
I trade daily, but I am not a licensed adviser. Whether you find my ideas reasonable or not: The only person responsible for your actions is YOU.
I follow two rules: (1) There are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. (2) Whatever is inconsistent with observed facts must be discarded or revised. We must understand the Market as it is and not confuse how it is with how we wish it to be. (inspired by Carl Sagan)

Tylergold
post Posted: Nov 3 2008, 05:48 AM
  Quote Post

In reply to: Snowpony on Monday 03/11/08 12:39am

so your saying if there is a couple of good days in a row take your profit? eventhough it may only be 10-20%. i know lihir lkes to bounce around.

Featured Stock Stories

Snowpony
post Posted: Nov 3 2008, 12:39 AM
  Quote Post

In reply to: Tylergold on Sunday 02/11/08 08:59pm

Hi Tylergold
if you wish to risk your capital, trade without a stop loss & your capital can easily be made very small very quickly, trade with one & if the trade goes against you at least you preserve something for another day.

cheers

Tylergold
post Posted: Nov 2 2008, 08:59 PM
  Quote Post

im looking for around 40% as it isnt much money in the real world and willing to take a little more risk.

what i am worried about is that im not sure lihir is fully tradeing with gold price.

i also belive this is start of a rally for a short period of time lets say a month or 2 and then i feel we will re test the bottom. but i mean ive heard you cant expect to pick the bottom and coming in around 5-10% is pretty good

flower
post Posted: Nov 2 2008, 08:54 PM
  Quote Post

QUOTE (Tylergold @ Sunday 02/11/08 07:52pm)

Tylergold, I wish I had got involved in the stockmarket at your age, unfortunately any messages would have been sent via carrier pigeon in those days!--to be serious though, all power to your elbow, I am sure you will get all the help here you so richly deserve.

To answer your question: As long as you are taking a medium term view at least (say six months) I cant see a couple of cents matter either way.

To bolster your confidence: Maybe we can help in "locking in" the profits you are going to get later on, IMHO providing you have assessed the fundamentals correctly entering isnt too much of a problem, we wont go into Stop Losses from entry with a six month trade in view, but the most difficult bit I have found is when to sell as you get into profit.

Have you thought in pure percentage terms what would be an acceptable profit to you, ie 30%--50%--or what?

That should form part of your trading plan---IMHO.

Anyway--good luck--keep us in touch.

--------------------
Combining Fundamental comments with Fundamental charts.

Tylergold
post Posted: Nov 2 2008, 07:52 PM
  Quote Post

ye generally that is true i will get my grandpa to do the trade if needed as i will be at school from 8 i will arrange something and i mean a couple of cents wont make much difference in the long term am i right?

122 Pages (Click to Jump) V  « < 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING