Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

15 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

The Inflation thread, Discussion
nipper
post Posted: Jul 19 2021, 09:01 AM
  Quote Post

The Beige Book
Prices increased at an above average pace, as seven Districts reported strong price growth and the rest saw moderate gains.

Pricing pressures were broad based and grew more acute in the hospitality sector, as the reopening of hotels and restaurants confronted limited supplies of materials and workers.

Construction costs remained high, but lumber prices reportedly eased a bit. Container prices returned to very high levels after having moderated in the spring.

Pricing power was mixed, as some contacts reported that high end user demand enabled them to increase their prices and others said that input price pressures had reduced their profit margins.

While some contacts felt that pricing pressures were transitory, the majority expected further increases in input costs and selling prices in the coming months.

https://www.federalreserve.gov/monetarypoli...ebook202107.htm

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

early birds
post Posted: May 17 2021, 09:59 AM
  Quote Post

US inflation data has been coming in higher than expected. Will it be the same in other parts of the world?

==========
what kimda question is that?? every man and his dog know that inflation is everywhere these days----given that much money has been printed from all central banks around world!! weirdsmiley.gif

======================
Last week, inflation data came in hot for April in the US. However, since the beginning of the month, manufacturing and jobs data were weaker than expected. Is the inflation truly transitory, as the Fed says, or stagflation coming our way? This week, we’ll get a better view as more inflation data is released from around the world. In addition, as mentioned in the last Week Ahead, while some countries continue to battle with the coronavirus and a shortage of vaccines, others are in the middle of their re-openings. On Monday, the UK continues with their re-opening, while the CDC in the US said masks are no longer necessary for fully vaccinated people. And although earnings season is coming to an end, we’ll get earnings from big retailers in the US this week!
===========================

time to raised rate all you central bankers!! ohmy.gif

mullokintyre
post Posted: Apr 16 2021, 08:30 AM
  Quote Post

Seems that lots of people are starting to jump on the inflation bandwagon.
I would not have previously considered Al Jazera a source of economics 101, but the following article seems like its straight of of semester 1 in first year.

From Al Jazero

Commodities rose to their highest in almost eight years amid booming investor appetite for everything from oil to corn.

Hedge funds have piled into what’s become the biggest bullish wager on the asset class in at least a decade, a collective bet that government stimulus plus near-zero interest rates will fuel demand, generate inflation and further weaken the U.S. dollar as the economy rebounds from the pandemic.

Qatar Petroleum to supply 1.25m tonnes of LNG to Bangladesh
Petrobras shares drop as Brazil’s Bolsonaro slams pricing policy
Copper rises over $9,000 as supply tightens in pandemic recovery
Yellen’s yardstick: US Treasury chief sees unemployment as key
The Bloomberg Commodity Spot Index, which tracks price movements for 23 raw materials, rose 1.6% on Monday to its highest since March 2013. The gauge has already gained 67% since reaching a four-year low in March.

The day’s gains were helped by copper, which rose above $9,000 a metric ton for the first time in nine years. Oil also jumped on speculation that global supplies are rapidly tightening, while coffee and sugar advanced.

“Folks who have really ignored commodities for quite a long time are now starting to get positioned,” said Bart Melek, head of commodity strategy at TD Securities. “The implication is that this could go on for a bit. It’s very much a function of expectations of scarcity.”

JPMorgan Chase & Co. said earlier this month that commodities appear to have begun a new supercycle — an extended period during which prices are well above their long-run trend. That echoes similarly comments from others including Goldman Sachs Group Inc. Commodities have seen four comparable cycles over the past 100 years.

The asset class is typically seen as a good hedge against inflation, which has recently become more of a concern among investors. The commodities rally will be a story of a “roaring 20s” post-pandemic economic recovery as well as ultra-loose monetary and fiscal policies, JPMorgan analysts led by Marko Kolanovic said Feb. 10.

Commodities may also jump as an unintended consequence of the fight against climate change, which threatens to constrain oil supplies while boosting demand for metals needed to build renewable energy infrastructure and manufacture batteries and electric vehicles, they said.

Copper is surging amid a broad rally in metals from iron ore to nickel. The bellwether industrial commodity has doubled since a nadir in March, also boosted by rapidly tightening physical markets and prospects for rebounding economic growth.

“The mega-trends that we see playing out around global population growth, the electrification thematic and the energy transition, all of these bode well for commodity demand over the medium-to-long term,” Mike Henry, the chief executive officer of mining giant BHP Group, said last week in a Bloomberg Television interview.

Commodities swings have huge impact on cost of living since they can encompass the price of fuels, power, food and construction projects. They also help shape terms of trade, exchange rates and ultimately the politics of commodity-dependent nations like Canada, Brazil, Chile and Venezuela.

A surge in silver buying continued Monday with spot silver and futures breaching $30 an ounce [File: Chris Ratcliffe/Bloomberg]
Silver rush: Dealers overwhelmed by demand for coins, bars
Dealers like Money Metals, SD Bullion, JM Bullion and Apmex saw unprecedented demand over the weekend.
1 Feb 2021
Japan's key share index jumped to its highest level since 1990 despite showing a slowing economic recovery from the depths of the coronavirus crisis [File: Noriko Hayashi/Bloomberg]
Asian shares at record highs on global vaccine hopes
Successful global roll-out of vaccines has raised hopes of a rapid economic recovery helped by large US fiscal stimulus.
15 Feb 2021
Analysts expect the cold snap in Texas to lead to continuing disruptions to oil supplies for some time more [File: Matthew Busch/Bloomberg]
Texas’s big freeze pushes oil prices to 13-month highs
Texas oil producers and refiners remain shut due to icy cold weather, cutting output by 1-4 million barrels per day.
18 Feb 2021
Pumpjacks operate in the snow in the Permian Basin in Midland, Texas, the United States, where weather has reduced the nation's refining capacity by one-fifth [File: Matthew Busch/Bloomberg]
Oil prices dip after surpassing $65 a barrel amid Texas cold snap
Brent crude had gained for four straight sessions before Thursday, while West Texas Intermediate had risen for three

Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

early birds
post Posted: Apr 15 2021, 09:46 AM
  Quote Post

The first hint of a jump in US inflation and what did all those brave souls among the bond bunnies do? Why they jumped sideways and sent US bond yields lower!

So much for the bond market being the all-powerful monster that would tame central banks post-Covid, as some alarmist writers of economic nonsense had been insisting as they fretted over quantitative easing, higher inflation and anything else they could lay their hands on.

The US Consumer Price Index jumped 0.6% in March, the largest gain since August 2012, after rising 0.4% in February. A 9.1% surge in fuel prices accounted for nearly half of the increase in the CPI. Petrol prices rose 6.4% in February. Food prices rose 0.1% as the price of potatoes unexpectedly rose and food consumed outside the home also rose 0.1%.

For the year March, the CPI surged 2.6%. That was the largest gain since August 2018 and followed a 1.7% increase in February.

And there’s the outbreak of inflation – shock horror, just as the talking heads had warned – but it passed without too much pain and bond yields eased afterwards.

Core inflation (excluding food and energy), rose 0.3% after up from 0.1% in February. That was the largest gain in seven months in the core CPI as the annual rate rose 1.6% after the 1.3% rise in February.

The Fed tracks the core personal consumption expenditures (PCE) price index for its 2% inflation target, (now a flexible average rather than hard target, a little like the flexible 2% to 3% over time target for the Reserve Bank.

The core PCE price index rose an annual 1.5% in February and judging by the core CPI, probably nudged a bit higher in March (we will find out in a fortnight).

The yield on the key 10-year Treasury bond ended down 5.6 basis points to yield 1.6198%, well below a 14-month high of 1.776% hit on March 30.

The Fed – especially chair Jay Powell, have been warning for a while that inflation will make a “transitory” jump mid year as the comparative base rolls over and the big falls a year ago drop out of calculations. The same is going to happen here as well, according to RBA governor, Phil Lowe.

Central banks want to see inflation rising because it shows the rebound from the Covid lockdowns is actually strengthening and the higher demand is increasing prices for goods and services.

Deflation or disinflation means weak demand, a lot of spare capacity in the economy and problems ahead for economies showing them.

The US isn’t one and nor is Australia or New Zealand (which left monetary policy on hold yesterday

https://www.sharecafe.com.au/2021/04/14/bon...n-edges-higher/

================
from our own sharecafe

nipper
post Posted: Apr 9 2021, 04:47 PM
  Quote Post

every Friday, I get an email from Naos
As part of the NAOS investment process, we pay particular attention to the comments made by company CEOs and business leaders in order to gain a greater understanding of the current investment environment and key trends that may be emerging. Below are quotes from the week which in our view detail some of the most important and prominent industry trends and economic factors impacting their businesses.
(to subscribe ... https://www.naos.com.au/subscribe )

There seems to be a persistent theme this week:
CEO Insights - Week Ending 9 April 2021 By NAOS Asset Management[/size]

Automotive

"This is the strongest March result in two years with private buyers representing the largest proportion of new vehicle purchasers" Tony Weber, CEO, Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries

"It's hard to know when the new car supply is going to continue to ramp up. I mean, they're obviously facing some major chip shortages. I think the supply, the tightening of the supply is going to be around here for a while" William Nash, CEO, CarMax Inc [USA's largest used car retailer]

Transport & Logistics

"Reforms to address climate change are ushering in an era of modal shift for freight, from polluting and congested road travel to efficient higher speed rail service. This will drive significant growth in railcar demand in the years to come above and beyond replacement demand growth" Bill Furman, CEO, The Greenbrier Companies Inc [global manufacturer/repairer of railcars]

"Rail freight traffic has actually grown over pre-crisis levels in some countries" Bill Furman, CEO, The Greenbrier Companies Inc [global manufacturer/repairer of railcars]

"The spot rate on containers has gone up massively – there are less containers and less ships so there's more demand than supply" Andre Reich, CEO, The Reject Shop Ltd

Inflation

"No matter what commodity you look at, whether its poly[ethylene], resin, oil or gas, commodity prices are up and a lot of them impact raw material costs" Bernie Brookes, Exec Chairman, Colette [handbag & jewellery retailer]

"As we navigate the current environment, we are seeing input cost inflation accelerate in many of our categories and across the industry" Sean Connolly, CEO, Conagra Brands Inc [multinational packaged foods brands conglomerate including brands Birds Eye & Healthy Choice]

Tourism, Travel & Leisure

"Around 38 per cent of Australian tourism businesses have told us they're cutting jobs and reducing workforce hours to stay viable with the ending of JobKeeper, Sixty per cent of tourism enterprises are in a weaker position since COVID-19, 47 per cent remain open but have fewer staff, and the end of JobKeeper is having a major impact on exposed sectors" Simon Westaway, Executive Director, Australian Tourism Industry Council

"We've experienced significant latent demand upon opening new sailings this summer. In fact P&O [Cruises] opened to a single biggest booking day in seven years on the announcement of coastal sailings for its two ships this summer" Arnold Donald, CEO, Carnival Corporation [world's largest cruise ship company]

US Economy

"I have little doubt that with excess savings, new stimulus savings, huge deficit spending, more QE [quantitative easing], a new potential infrastructure bill, a successful vaccine and euphoria around the end of the pandemic, the US economy will likely boom" Jamie Dimon, CEO, JPMorgan Chase & Co.

Technology

"As the market is showing optimism with regards to a potential COVID recovery, we are seeing demand returning from industrial customers" Mark Adams, CEO, SMART Global Holdings Inc [global computer memory & storage provider]

Insurance

"The global P&C [property & casualty insurance] industry is one of the most complex and highly regulated markets in the world…It's also an industry that is undergoing significant change with the entry of new competitors and increasingly sophisticated customers who now expect a simplified digital experience" Mike Jackowski, CEO, Duck Creek Technologies Inc [multinational insurance software provider]

Retail

"I think if you ask anybody that's providing a product these days, we've seen a seismic shift [to online] over the last 12 months" Gary Medved, CEO, Mace Security International inc [global manufacturer of personal safety & security products]

Commercial Property

"The golden days of landlords milking retailers is gone. This [post COVID] is a complete reset" Paul Zahra, CEO, Australian Retailers Association

"If customers are choosing to shop a brand in store in a shopping centre then, yes, that's a relationship with the landlord. If customers are choosing to shop online because we've invested tens of millions of dollars in infrastructure then landlords have nothing do with that" Mark McInnes, CEO, Premier Investments Ltd

Residential Property

"Given the environment of rising housing prices and low interest rates, the bank will be monitoring trends in housing borrowing carefully and it is important that lending standards are maintained" Dr Philip Lowe, Governor, Reserve Bank of Australia

Food & Beverage

"Psychology experts assert that it takes on average, 66 days for a new behaviour to become habitual…we are nearly 400 days into the COVID-19 pandemic. Consumers have adapted to at-home eating and formed new habits that we expect to sustain well beyond the current conditions and early data supports our hypothesis" Sean Connolly, CEO, Conagra Brands Inc [multinational packaged foods brands conglomerate including brands Birds Eye & Healthy Choice]

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

Said 'Thanks' for this post: early birds  

nipper
post Posted: Jan 28 2021, 08:37 PM
  Quote Post

OK OK it is Buffett, but I like it
Inflation is a far more devastating tax than anything that has been enacted by our legislatures. If you feel you can dance in and out of securities in a way that defeats the inflation tax, I would like to be your broker .... but not your partner.

https://www.sharecafe.com.au/2021/01/19/ina...tion-inflation/

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Jan 26 2021, 08:58 PM
  Quote Post

And while we are at it...
Just getting a few things straight ..
.. the Libs dropped University fees, not the ALP.

(they also persisted with National Service for 4 years after engagement effectively ended in Vietnam. And other silly policies)

--------------------

mullokintyre
post Posted: Jan 26 2021, 02:58 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Oct 31 2020, 04:16 PM

Just getting a few things straight .... and former RBA governor Ian Macfarlane should hold the institutional memory .... Whitlam and Co get a lot of stick for the early '70s, but the system was teetering under the previous Liberal coalition

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but even so Whitlam got what he deserved and so did Macmahon, but not before both of em screwed the economy for the next few years.
Keating did what Macmahon should have done, let the economic levers go where they needed to go, hence the banana republic and "recession we had to have".
Right now, the RBA is doing a Macmahon and keeping interest rates artificially low. Interest rates might be at historical lows, but to get a loan from a bank for anything other than ultra safe housing is like getting blood from a stone.
They refuse to take any risk whatsoever, but demand a risk free premium as their profit.
I am struggling with the next phase of the economy - just how high will inflation get to, how high will interest rates get to, and which industries will survive and proper.
Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

nipper
post Posted: Oct 31 2020, 04:16 PM
  Quote Post

Just getting a few things straight .... and former RBA governor Ian Macfarlane should hold the institutional memory .... Whitlam and Co get a lot of stick for the early '70s, but the system was teetering under the previous Liberal coalition
For a start, the growth of production and employment during the 30 year post war Golden Age was stronger than any period before or since. We had high levels of protection against imports, with little or no competition from developing countries.

We had a strong union movement, confident that in pushing for higher wages it was not jeopardising workers job prospects. We had a centralised system for setting wages, with widespread indexation of wages to the consumer price index.

Our businesses took a cost plus approach to their prices. If wages or the cost of imported components rose, this could be passed on to customers, confident your competitors would be doing the same. That is, firms had pricing power.

Finally, business, union and consumer expectations about how fast prices would rise in future were quite low at the start of the period, but they picked up and, by the end, had become entrenched at a high rate.

This macroeconomic environment was clearly conducive to rising inflation, and it took one policy error to push it over the limit, Macfarlane says.

Under the McMahon government, the predecessor of the Whitlam government, fiscal policy was made expansionary even though the inflation rate was already 7 per cent. Monetary policy was eased, with interest rates remaining below the inflation rate. And the centralised wage fixing system awarded 6 or 9 per cent pay rises.

So, that is how we acquired an inflation problem. What changed in the second 30 year period of declining inflation? Macfarlane thinks the defining feature of the later period was that, in the long struggle between capital and labour, the interests of capital took precedence over those of labour. That is, the bargaining power of labour collapsed.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/the-economy...569up.html?btis

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Jul 10 2020, 12:00 PM
  Quote Post

Interesting times:
Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced earlier this week that the Government intended to introduce some support after much of the current stimulus package ends in September.

At the moment, stimulus also means adding eye watering levels of government debt to the balance sheet ..... perhaps a trillion dollars of it.

That's not a problem according to some economists such as Bill Mitchell, emeritus professor of economics at Newcastle University and one of the early founders of Modern Monetary Theory (MMT). There is no question that the Government can meet all of its liabilities he said. A government like Australia, which issues its own currency, can always pay it out. He said the Government could simply get the Reserve Bank to create the currency that is needed.

Modern Monetary Theory has long been ridiculed by most economists as Modern Magical Thinking because simply typing money into existence risks inflation. MMT supporters say inflation is the last of our worries right now.

But even if you accept that the Reserve Bank can magically type money into existence, that is a luxury households do not have. Household debt relies on income from jobs.

Professor Mitchell believes the way out of our coronavirus recession is for the Government to fund unconditional jobs for anybody who wants them. That income support then provides a sort of buffer for the economy, he said.

The Reserve Bank deputy governor is not entirely dismissive of Bill Mitchell's belief that we do not need to worry about government debt. A reasonable amount of what they are saying is not different from the way I would think about it, and the way a lot of other people think about it, it is a matter of degree, Mr Debelle said. If you borrow too much, then that's inflationary or you are Argentina and you default. There are plenty of examples where there are clearly limits, the question is where those limits are.

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: early birds  

15 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING