Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

14 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

Trump
nipper
post Posted: May 27 2020, 01:02 PM
  Quote Post

Twitter tags Trump tweet with fact-checking warning
A post by US President Donald Trump has been given a fact-check label by Twitter for the first time.

President Trump tweeted: "There is NO WAY (ZERO!) that Mail-In Ballots will be anything less than substantially fraudulent."

Twitter put a warning label under the post and a subsequent tweet under its new policy on misleading information.

Mr Trump responded by tweeting again, saying the social media giant "is completely stifling free speech".

Twitter's notification displays a blue exclamation mark underneath the tweets, suggesting readers "get the facts about mail-in ballots
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-52815552

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

rlane
post Posted: May 26 2020, 06:44 PM
  Quote Post

Flood the zone with shit: How misinformation overwhelmed our democracy

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/202...-misinformation

Kind of goes along with what this guy says

https://youtu.be/fh2cDKyFdyU?t=3969

henrietta
post Posted: May 17 2020, 05:03 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ May 17 2020, 02:59 PM

I suspect he will just pretend it isn't happening, and try to divert attention. In which case .......... anything goes.

Cheers
J

--------------------
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." Satchel Paige

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

nipper
post Posted: May 17 2020, 02:59 PM
  Quote Post

I think everything the 'contemptible' trump does is to get re-elected. Poor man, boxed himself in a corner.

Meantime, strong words from The Lancet concerning the lack of leadership
Lancet editorial blasts Trump's 'inconsistent and incoherent' coronavirus response
One of the world's oldest and best-known medical journals has criticised US President Donald Trump's "inconsistent and incoherent national response" to the novel coronavirus pandemic and accused the administration of relegating the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention to a "nominal" role.

The unsigned editorial from The Lancet concluded that Trump should be replaced. "Americans must put a president in the White House come January, 2021, who will understand that public health should not be guided by partisan politics," said the journal, which was founded in Britain in 1823.

The Lancet published the editorial as the death toll in the United States surpassed 85,000 and many states moved to reopen businesses and ease coronavirus restrictions that experts say are necessary to contain the virus....

The authors accused the administration of undermining some of the CDC's top officials, saying the agency "has seen its role minimised and become an ineffective and nominal adviser."
They noted that the agency, which is supposed to be the primary contact for health authorities during crises, has been hamstrung by years of budget cuts. The editorial said the administration left an "intelligence vacuum" in China when it pulled the last CDC officer from the country in July 2019.

The Lancet also took the CDC to task for its botched rollout of diagnostic testing in the critical early weeks that the virus began to spread in the United States. The country remains ill-equipped to provide basic surveillance or laboratory testing to combat the disease, the journal said.

"There is no doubt that the CDC has made mistakes, especially on testing in the early stages of the pandemic," the editorial said. "But punishing the agency by marginalising and hobbling it is not the solution. "The Administration is obsessed with magic bullets - vaccines, new medicines, or a hope that the virus will simply disappear," it continued. "But only a steadfast reliance on basic public health principles, like test, trace, and isolate, will see the emergency brought to an end, and this requires an effective national public health agency."...

originally in The Washington Post
https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/lancet-...516-p54tj4.html

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

tombeet
post Posted: Apr 21 2020, 01:41 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: plastic's post @ Apr 20 2020, 08:46 PM

This could be Trumps last resort to get oil price back up and maybe re-elected again?

Cheers
Tom.

plastic
post Posted: Apr 20 2020, 08:46 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: plastic's post @ Apr 20 2020, 12:57 PM

and God only knows what else.

Forgot to mention the build up of a US military presence on the nor'eastern coast of Australia. Not sure if it was WA or NT. But they are there for a reason and it isn't to catch refugees in a boat.

Got a feeling a face off is coming. A'la Cuban missile crisis type of thing. Probably over the Spratley Islands.

--------------------
What did Uncle Mel do to us?

Featured Stock Stories

balance
post Posted: Apr 20 2020, 04:27 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: plastic's post @ Apr 20 2020, 12:57 PM

Trump is full of $#!t. He's never wrong and will pick a fight with anyone to deflect his own short comings with the unfolding disaster he's presided over.

China's government has a lot answer for, but Trump is a bloody moron and should concentrate on doing his job, not fomenting revolution in his own country for cynical political purposes and picking fights that can be fought when the crisis is over.

--------------------
Day Trader: Lowest form of life in the known universe.
Shorter: Can limbo under a day trader.
Investor: Salt of the Earth.Sits to the right of God (Warren Buffet)
Share prices are only ever manipulated down.
Paper losses are not really losses.
Chat site posters always know better & know more than anyone about anything.
I'm 29.
The cheque is in the mail.

Said 'Thanks' for this post: indeficit  tombeet  

plastic
post Posted: Apr 20 2020, 12:57 PM
  Quote Post

Trump beginning to speak ominously in the Trump Live shows about China, the lab and whether it was released intentionally or not.
I think we might have a Gulf of Tonkin incident on our hands.

There must be some reason why the USA has set about to repatriate every single American around the world at the cost of the government. Then you look at the military build up on the coast of Venezuela, a squadron of B-52s sent home from Guam (remember Pearl Harbour), infringement of territorial waterways and God only knows what else.

More to come on this for sure.

--------------------
What did Uncle Mel do to us?

triage
post Posted: Apr 17 2020, 12:59 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Apr 17 2020, 08:53 AM

You could be right though the fact he hasn't even bothered to nominate people for about two thirds of those positions suggests that's just a ruse. They, led ingloriously by Mitch McConnell, have allowed Trumpy to crash through so many barriers and conventions who knows what will be a bridge too far. But yeah, hopefully putting off the November elections would not be a goer.

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

Mozart fixes everything and Messi is a dog

mullokintyre
post Posted: Apr 17 2020, 08:53 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: triage's post @ Apr 17 2020, 07:52 AM

My understanding was he wanted to adjourn both houses so as he can just approve all the appointments he put up.
From TIME
WASHINGTON) — Citing the coronavirus, Donald Trump is threatening unprecedented action — adjourning both houses of Congress — to entice the Senate to approve more of his nominees.

In recent years, Congress has refused to fully adjourn during most breaks precisely to prevent the president from making recess appointments. Little or no business is conducted in such “pro-forma sessions,” but they give members of both chambers of Congress the chance to go back home without going into recess.

It’s a process lawmakers also employed to thwart President Barack Obama’s nominees.

Trump says he’s had enough and warns that he will seek to adjourn both chambers of Congress if lawmakers don’t formally declare a proper recess. That way, he could appoint some nominees without the Senate’s approval. Trump said, “Perhaps it’s never been done before, nobody’s even sure if it has, but we’re going to do it.”

The Constitution does not spell out a unilateral power for the president to adjourn Congress. It states only that he can decide on adjournment if there is a dispute over it between the House and Senate. Such a disagreement does not now exist, nor is it likely to arise.

Constitutional scholar Jonathan Turley said on Twitter the Constitution gives a president authority in “extraordinary occasions” to convene or adjourn Congress. However, he said, “This power has never been used and should not be used now.”

edited to add the following:
According to WWashington post
there are 82 positions that are waiting on confirmation.
There are also 150 positions for which no nomination has been made by the trump administration

Adjourning congress would not neccessarily gove him the ability to postpone or cancel the elections.
You can guarantee the supreme court would stymie that one, no matter how many conservatives he stacks it with.

Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

14 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING