Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

485 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

CRICKET
triage
post Posted: Today, 03:02 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: balance's post @ Today, 01:02 PM

balance - at one point last night there was some talk from the pommy commentators that this particular type of Duke ball is not fit for purpose. Apparently it was used in a county game some time ago and the game was called off (?) or at least it was a total shemozzle as the ball was virtually unplayable. So there was some surprise when the authorities decided to bring it back for the Ashes Series. It now seems that the pommy authorities outsmarted themselves because by targetting all the Aussie batsmen who can only play against undeviating white balls on unresponsive pitches they also exposed all their own batters who are actual world champions at that type of cricket. (I enjoy the understated commentary from most of them but if only I could selectively mute out Warne and Beefy Boofhead ... but I can't so I watch most of the coverage with the mute on).

Even the body language of lambshanks is that of a number 3.

I'm hoping the Goat will bring us home. I saw the only over he bowled in the first innings and he got one to rear up off a reasonable length and hit Paine around the neck.

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

Mozart fixes everything and Messi is a dog

balance
post Posted: Today, 01:02 PM
  Quote Post

Never judge an innings until the other guys bat. The Aussies were underwhelming but the ball was hooping and seaming all over the place. The movement off the pitch really was something.

So, for the English. Only a few got good deliveries, the rest were just rubbish shots. That's what happens when most of the bats are one day players, not test players.
I don't recall any series where both bowling squads were so superior to the batting squads. That said, the pitches have been much more bowler friendly, which is a nice change.

280 in front with a wickets in hand should be enough to win.

But with 3 days to play ( all that happened in 2 days!? ), good weather predicted and what should be the best batting conditions, England have an eternity to make the runs risk free. Unlikely given their confidence must be shot, but it is there for the taking.

--------------------
Day Trader: Lowest form of life in the known universe.
Shorter: Can limbo under a day trader.
Investor: Salt of the Earth.Sits to the right of God (Warren Buffet)
Share prices are only ever manipulated down.
Paper losses are not really losses.
Chat site posters always know better & know more than anyone about anything.
I'm 29.
The cheque is in the mail.

mullokintyre
post Posted: Today, 08:40 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: triage's post @ Yesterday, 10:56 PM

Well, it looked like a pleasant summers day on the TV. But it must have been a mistake.
Poms out for 60 odd.
Fantastic bowling by Hazlewood, and well backed up by Cummins and Pattinson.
And some excellent catching by Warner, though he blotted his copybook with another duck.
Surely now Kawaja will go onto the too unreliable list with Maxwell now.
Wade also skating on thin ice, though he does have a century this series.
Lead now 280 with four wickets to go.
Not a bad position to be in.
With the good bounce Lyon gets, I reckon he will have a bit to say in second innings.
Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

triage
post Posted: Yesterday, 10:56 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Yesterday, 07:37 PM

"Sun will shine and the ball will be ramrod straight when it resumes tonigh for the Poms to bat." ... or not. That's the best I've seen Hazlewood bowl, ever. Sure, the conditions suit him and the Duke ball actually moves but he was bowling more fourth stump rather than his usual fifth and sixth stump stuff. I'm amazed all the poms seem to be batting with hard hands, I thought they would be used to playing in these conditions.

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

henrietta
post Posted: Yesterday, 07:37 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Yesterday, 09:21 AM

Sun shining, beautiful day apparently. Trust our bowlers can spoil it for those Poms !!!

Cheers
J

mullokintyre
post Posted: Yesterday, 09:21 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: triage's post @ Aug 22 2019, 11:49 PM

Yep, seems the weather is crappy when OZ bat only.
Sun will shine and the ball will be ramrod straight when it resumes tonigh for the Poms to bat.
Oz will have to bowl exceedingly well.
Did enjoy the replay of the WACA test from a few years ago when Smith got his first century in OZ.

Mick

--------------------

triage
post Posted: Aug 22 2019, 11:49 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Aug 22 2019, 07:55 PM

Not sure how you are supposed to bat when the ball is moving as much as it is today ... but the shot that Khawaja got out with was just a gift to the poms. I've pretty much given up on him, at least as a number 3, seems to get out to too many lazy shots. Two down for not much ... at least the NRL was worth watching tonight.

--------------------

mullokintyre
post Posted: Aug 22 2019, 07:55 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Aug 22 2019, 03:46 PM

Looks like ya oil is good. Harris practicing at second slip in warmups.
Pattinson in for siddle, as Siddle appears not to be in warmups.
Mick

--------------------

henrietta
post Posted: Aug 22 2019, 03:46 PM
  Quote Post

Marcus Harris in for Bancroft ?

Cheers
J

henrietta
post Posted: Aug 21 2019, 11:29 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Aug 21 2019, 10:45 AM

I think Bradman’s average is more memorable because it is so close to 100. And ending with a “duck “ , for the best ever batsman, is priceless, and gives every batsman since, some hope.

Have just read Paine’s article in The Australian. It is fascinating, although I question the wisdom of our captain writing media articles during a test series.

We drove to Leeds on Monday tired, still excited about the Lord’s Test but keen to get the third one starting tomorrow.

There is a special feeling among this squad.

It’s an odd thing to say when you didn’t win the match, but we didn’t lose it and that was a victory in itself. There were a few things we know we could have done better, but we were all so happy about how we got through the game.

Paine’s article in The Australian

You can’t always be on top in Test cricket and things don’t always go your way, but the reason I was happy and the squad was in such good spirits is we found a way to limit the damage and hang on.

Sometimes you have to make sure you live to fight another day.

One of the things we have talked about since we arrived is finding a way when the game seems loaded against you. We are determined to dig in and defend when under siege. We know that a bad session can cost you a Test or even a series. There will be an hour when the other team has the ascendancy but you have to find a way to stop that. You can be bowled out in a session in England so you have to slow the other team’s momentum.

There was a young player in this game who did just that when called in at short notice.

We lost our best batsman, Steve Smith, we were batting in half light and we were facing some serious bowling on a pitch that was challenging. There’s plenty of things we got wrong. Our catching was bad and our use of the DRS was worse but there is a character in this group that refuses to give up and I am proud of that.

Winning away has become the hardest thing in Test cricket. To get to the third Test with a win and a draw is an achievement and one I think any touring side would take.

Everyone was talking about Steve after Edgbaston because of his centuries and they were talking about him for other reasons after he was ruled out in this one. He showed great courage to go out and bat again after being hit. It would have shaken anyone up but he just wanted to get back out there and keep batting. I guess that’s what he does.

And then everyone was talking about Jofra Archer and why not? It’s fantastic to see a young cricketer with so much talent come onto the scene and it was a bit of a buzz to face him at Lord’s. He’s fast for sure, but in Australia we’ve been brought up facing guys of his pace. Every time we have a net we have Mitchell Starc, Pat Cummins and James Pattinson coming at us like we are the opposition.

It’s going to be fun for everyone to watch how Jofra’s career turns out. People of his talent are why we play Test cricket. You want to face the best, you want to be on the extremes challenging yourself and putting into place all the things you’ve learned over the journey.

I can’t get over how well Marnus Labuschagne went when called in at extremely short notice. If I was giving votes for that game I’m giving them to him, but I might be a bit biased. He went to bed on Saturday night planning to have an early net session and that’s what he did. The guys not playing often leave ahead of the team so they can get a hit in.

When we realised Steve wouldn’t play we knew we had to get a message to him and we also knew he would be training and not looking at his phone. So I got into a car and headed to Lord’s. I know he is one of those guys who will train himself into the ground and I didn’t want that. He was in the nets on the nursery ground when I arrived and I went over and said “Take it easy, mate, you are batting today”.

I wish you could have seen the look on his face. Some players would panic, or get anxious about what lay ahead, but he just broke into this smile. He loves cricket like a kid loves Christmas. We might rib him about his endless enthusiasm and his constant chatter but he is one of those people who energises a group.

I hope people appreciate what he did in that innings. To replace Steve who had been concussed and to wear a nasty blow second delivery you face when you get out there would unsettle most players, but not Marnus. He revels in that stuff. It’s the sort of craziness that marks a special cricketer and he has the potential to be that.

The other thing that was so satisfying about his innings was that it further confirmed our belief that it takes a squad to win a series. You can’t rely on a Steve Smith or a Jofra Archer, you have to have depth and I believe we have that in our batting and bowling.

David Warner hasn’t hit his straps yet and I notice people getting a bit trigger happy on that subject, but I am not worried. We are 1-0 up in the series and he hasn’t got out of the blocks. He is a match winner and the sort of player who comes up with an innings that takes the game away from the opposition. He is also the most mentally tough cricketer I know. He is due a score and that is a dividend I am looking forward to.

This Ashes series is shaping up to be one of the best of all time. It’s a quick turnaround to the third Test but I am as keen for it to start as I was when I was a boy staying up late at night in Tasmania watching David Boon and Ricky Ponting take on England.

I’m hoping this series is one that will live in people’s memories a long time. It’s shaping up that way.

Cheers
J

Said 'Thanks' for this post: Pendragon  

485 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING