Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

A reminder to all members that you agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

74 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

Silver, Discussion
mullokintyre
post Posted: Yesterday, 09:37 PM
  Quote Post

Silver has always been known for its antibacterial properties, but until recently no one actually knew the mechanism.
from Science daily

The antimicrobial properties of silver have been known for centuries. While it is still a mystery as to exactly how silver kills bacteria, University of Arkansas researchers have taken a step toward better understanding the process by looking at dynamics of proteins in live bacteria at the molecular level.

Traditionally, the antimicrobial effects of silver have been measured through bioassays, which compare the effect of a substance on a test organism against a standard, untreated preparation. While these methods are effective, they typically produce only snapshots in time, said Yong Wang, assistant professor of physics and an author of the study, published in the journal Applied and Environmental Microbiology.

Instead, Wang and his colleagues used an advanced imaging technique, called single-particle-tracking photoactivated localization microscopy, to watch and track a particular protein found in E. coli bacteria over time. Researchers were surprised to find that silver ions actually sped up the dynamics of the protein, opposite of what they thought would happen. "It is known that silver ions can suppress and kill bacteria; we thus expected that everything slowed down in the bacteria when treated with silver. But, surprisingly, we found that the dynamics of this protein became faster."

The researchers observed that silver ions were causing paired strands of DNA in the bacteria to separate, and the binding between the protein and the DNA to weaken. "Then the faster dynamics of the proteins caused by silver can be understood," said Wang. "When the protein is bound to the DNA, it moves slowly together with the DNA, which is a huge molecule in the bacteria. In contrast, when treated with silver, the proteins fall off from the DNA, moving by themselves and thus faster."

The observation of DNA separation caused by silver ions came from earlier work that Wang and colleagues had done with bent DNA. Their approach, now patent pending, was to put strain on DNA strands by bending them, thus making them more susceptible to interactions with other chemicals, including silver ions.

The National Science Foundation-funded study validated the idea of investigating the dynamics of single proteins in live bacteria, said Wang, an approach that could help researchers understand the real-time responses of bacteria to silver nanoparticles, which have been proposed for fighting against so-called "superbugs" that are resistant to commonly prescribed antibiotics.

"What we want to do eventually is to use the new knowledge generated from this project to make better antibiotics based on silver nanoparticles," said Wang.

All we need now is for someone to find a way for the silver ions to interfere with a Virus - particularly COVID 19.
Some work in this area has already been undertaken. see Antiviral Properties of Silver Nanoparticles on a Magnetic Hybrid Colloidquote]

Silver nanoparticles (AgNPs) are considered to be a potentially useful tool for controlling various pathogens. However, there are concerns about the release of AgNPs into environmental media, as they may generate adverse human health and ecological effects. In this study, we developed and evaluated a novel micrometer-sized magnetic hybrid colloid (MHC) decorated with variously sized AgNPs (AgNP-MHCs). After being applied for disinfection, these particles can be easily recovered from environmental media using their magnetic properties and remain effective for inactivating viral pathogens. We evaluated the efficacy of AgNP-MHCs for inactivating bacteriophage ϕX174, murine norovirus (MNV), and adenovirus serotype 2 (AdV2). These target viruses were exposed to AgNP-MHCs for 1, 3, and 6 h at 25C and then analyzed by plaque assay and real-time TaqMan PCR. The AgNP-MHCs were exposed to a wide range of pH levels and to tap and surface water to assess their antiviral effects under different environmental conditions. Among the three types of AgNP-MHCs tested, Ag30-MHCs displayed the highest efficacy for inactivating the viruses. The ϕX174 and MNV were reduced by more than 2 log10 after exposure to 4.6 109 Ag30-MHCs/ml for 1 h. These results indicated that the AgNP-MHCs could be used to inactivate viral pathogens with minimum chance of potential release into environment.

Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

mullokintyre
post Posted: Yesterday, 08:55 AM
  Quote Post

Silver approaching USD19 again.
Should be a good day for anything that has silver attached to it.
Bet those manuka shares rocket when they list Nip, pity you missed them.
Mick

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Jun 15 2020, 11:20 AM
  Quote Post

Got offered some of these, but missed the cut-off.
Street Talk understands Manuka Resources, a gold and silver producer, closed its $7 million IPO on Friday last week 12 days ahead of schedule and is all set to hit the local bourse in mid-July.

The $7 million raised implies a $50 million market capitalisation for the company, which has two gold and silver projects in New South Wales' Cobar Basin, north-east of Sydney.....

The fresh capital will be used to finance drilling at Manuka's two mines, the Mt Boppy gold project and Wonawinta silver project. Manuka kicked off production at Wonowinta in April and has a production target of 32,000 ounces of gold a year

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

Said 'Thanks' for this post: mullokintyre  

mullokintyre
post Posted: Jun 1 2020, 09:19 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ May 30 2020, 09:37 AM

Up again on the early open.
Over 18 again, so should be a good day for ARD and SVL.
Mick

--------------------

mullokintyre
post Posted: May 30 2020, 09:37 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ May 18 2020, 10:15 AM

Silver up 50 cents overnight to 17.80.
Expect SVL, and hopefully ARD to have a run up Monday.
Time to offload at 14 again.
Mick

--------------------

mullokintyre
post Posted: May 18 2020, 10:15 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ May 15 2020, 11:16 AM

And now nudging 17, at 16.89.
The paper traders may still yet crunch it back again, but heck, I am enjoying the ride.
Will be interesting to see the next COT report.
Mick

--------------------

Featured Stock Stories

mullokintyre
  Quote Post

The paper traders may still yet crunch it back again, but heck, I am enjoying the ride.
Mick

--------------------

mullokintyre
  Quote Post

Mick

--------------------

mullokintyre
post Posted: May 15 2020, 11:16 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ May 15 2020, 07:54 AM

Now nudging 16.
Good recovery from the initial disaster that was the Covid19 stock crash when it was below 11.
Have no idea as to how much higher it will go.
I plan to sell a bit every time the price in AUD rises by 10%.
M

--------------------

mullokintyre
post Posted: May 15 2020, 07:54 AM
  Quote Post

Silver may be poised for a rise.

From Kitco

In terms of the speculative positioning in silver, there is still a lot of room for buying, Orchid Research noted.

“Speculators cut by the equivalent of 403 tons their net long position in COMEX silver in the week to May 5, according to the CFTC … The net spec length is at just 17% of open interest, markedly below its all-time high of 57% of open interest. This suggests a very light positioning, meaning there is plenty of room for additional speculative buying once sentiment shifts positively,” the post said.

Also, ETF demand for silver is projected to rise in Q2, which would have a positive impact on prices, Orchid Research added.

Silver warehouse stocks continue to be close to critical as more buyers of the silver coins emerge with a distinct lack of sellers.
As Industrial production starts to pick up, Silver consumption will increase.
A lot of the medical equipment being made have silver coatings as an anti bacterial.
You can even buy silver impregnated socks to stop your smelly feet! (see Nanao silver socks) )

Mick

--------------------

74 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING