Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

197 Pages (Click to Jump) V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > »    

Reply to this topic

Computer issues and problems, virus warnings, tech problems, whatever
Snowpony
post Posted: Jan 17 2014, 12:58 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: tideishigh's post @ Jan 17 2014, 12:55 PM

go control panel then to add/remove programs
if its listed there remove it & try re installing?

mullokintyre
post Posted: Jan 17 2014, 12:56 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: tideishigh's post @ Jan 17 2014, 12:26 PM

How old is your puter?
Some of the newer external drives only work with USB 3.0.
If you only have USB 2.0 pots on your computer, they will not work.
Plus USB 3.0 wasn't supported until later versions of Win7.
Any OS prior to that will not support USB 3.0.

Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

tideishigh
post Posted: Jan 17 2014, 12:55 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: wolverine's post @ Jan 17 2014, 12:42 PM

No - the drive does not come up. It is not listed as a removable storage device - in fact I can't find the drive listed anywhere!

wolverine
post Posted: Jan 17 2014, 12:42 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: tideishigh's post @ Jan 17 2014, 12:26 PM

Do you want to use their software?

Can you access the drive through Start>Computer and clicking on the Seagate drive?

--------------------
TOO MANY CHIEFS

NOT ENOUGH INDIANS

tideishigh
post Posted: Jan 17 2014, 12:26 PM
  Quote Post

I have just bought a Seagate Backup Plus portable drive. I followed the instructions in the Quick Start guide but nothing much has happened. The computer recognises it as a "device' but not as something coming off the USB port as a removable storage device. so I can't access it to get at the software. It has been driving me crazy over the last day or so. I can get nothing helpful from Seagate FACs because they assume that there is a Seagate shortcut on the Desktop to access the software - not so. Can anyone help me on this - I would be most grateful.

flower
post Posted: Jan 16 2014, 07:39 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: arty's post @ Jan 16 2014, 05:08 PM

Hi arty, thanks. Will have a quiet think and talk to my ultra friendly PC doctor about what is best--for me.

--------------------
Combining Fundamental comments with Fundamental charts.

arty
post Posted: Jan 16 2014, 05:08 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: flower's post @ Jan 16 2014, 04:40 PM

There is no "best", flower;
Again, the analogy with cars may be useful: If you're a Holden Man, your best car is a Monaro or Statesman. If you're a Ford Man, take the Falcon Ute or an LTD. And if you trek through rough terrain, pick a Landcruiser, Territory, or Colorado.
But whichever is "best" for you, you'll have to keep its logbook up to date and have the scheduled maintenance done.

As to your reference to Henry Ford, it's an age-old myth that his Tin Lizzie would just run 24/7. Truth is that the driver had to be far more of an all-round mechanic and techno-buff than, by analogy comparison, even the most computer-savvy contributor to this Forum needs to know about computer usage and maintenance.

Having said that, I use and recommend Firefox because it is more secure than IE, and although Chrome is said to be just as good, I don't trust Google when it comes to privacy concerns. Firefox has the added advantage of "open source" add-ons that let me tighten or relax conditions depending on website and user. However, anything non-Microsoft will be less likely to be recommended by a Microsoft-trained computer Technician. Not only because he'll be taught "loyalty", but because it takes a bit more know-how to research and become familiar with other products.
On the other hand, the makers of those other products have a greater incentive to make their systems more user-friendly and easier to understand even for a lay person, simply BECAUSE the run-off-the-mill Microsoft technican won't give them the time of day.

--------------------
I trade daily, but I am not a licensed adviser. Whether you find my ideas reasonable or not: The only person responsible for your actions is YOU.
I follow two rules: (1) There are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. (2) Whatever is inconsistent with observed facts must be discarded or revised. We must understand the Market as it is and not confuse how it is with how we wish it to be. (inspired by Carl Sagan)

flower
post Posted: Jan 16 2014, 04:40 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: arty's post @ Jan 16 2014, 03:22 PM

Will admit to being a computer illiterate, but my aim was never to become an expert, just want something that works 24/7 and is customer friendly.

Have no issues with MDS, when am in dire trouble they simply take over my PC and bingo--it's all sorted.

Todays issue, apparently was due to a Java update coinciding with an MDS update, all they did to sort my problems out was get me to move something in the control panel from medium to low security--- and that was it.

One of the difficulties the more "innocent" PC users face is the barrage of advice they get about which browser to use, my point was and still is I don't give a toss which browser I use but I do not want an update to inundate me with a load of crap I do not want, don't understand and will never use.

If the experts cannot agree which is the BEST browser to use, since obviously explorer 11 solves nothing is to carry on using 10 and say sod it.

However is somebody can put forward a cogent reason for switching to Firefox or what ever sing out, my problem is that it will probably be necessary to take the tower to the computer doctor and get him to do it for me, since have a history of PC and programme updates causing more problems than those pre existing, and thus costing me even more to solve.

Remember Henry Ford--if it aint broke don't fix it.

--------------------
Combining Fundamental comments with Fundamental charts.

arty
post Posted: Jan 16 2014, 03:22 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: Snowpony's post @ Jan 16 2014, 02:48 PM

Correct in essence, SP;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luddite

But the leader was Ned Ludd, more a kid than a "Mr". smile.gif

and flower: I find it far less "called for" to complain on a public forum that you have an issue with a piece of software, when the only reason for that lies in your failure to read and follow maintenance instructions. While it is commendable that you quickly follow your critique with a note that praises the customer service, you could have avoided the entire hassle by regular maintenance.

If you have a car, you pay your friendly Maintenance Mechanic every six months or so, for changing oil filter, spark plugs, dust filter, and any worn-out parts like shockies, engine mount, brake pads, etc. Computer software has thousands of times more "moving parts" than your truck, bus, or car; they may not wear out in the same sense that car parts do, but they sometimes interfere with one another in unintended ways, or some naughty kid discovers a way to use them against you. When that happens, I'd much rather know that Microsoft, Oracle, Iress, or MDS are on the ball and offer maintenance FREE OF CHARGE, than join in the chorus of whingeing PC-Tragics (if that sounds better than "Luddite") how complicated it all is.

--------------------
I trade daily, but I am not a licensed adviser. Whether you find my ideas reasonable or not: The only person responsible for your actions is YOU.
I follow two rules: (1) There are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. (2) Whatever is inconsistent with observed facts must be discarded or revised. We must understand the Market as it is and not confuse how it is with how we wish it to be. (inspired by Carl Sagan)

Snowpony
post Posted: Jan 16 2014, 02:48 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: flower's post @ Jan 16 2014, 02:42 PM

luddite
1. One who fears technology (or new technology, as they seem pleased with how things currently are...why can't everything just be the same?)

2. A group led by Mr. Luddite durring the industrial revolution who beleived machines would cause workers wages to be decreased and ended up burning a number of factories in protest
A luddite generally claims things were "just fine" back in the day, and refuses to replace/update failing equipment/software/computers on the basis that they were just fine 10 years ago.

If it fits wear it

197 Pages (Click to Jump) V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING