Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

3 Pages (Click to Jump) V  < 1 2 3   

Reply to this topic

POLL: The Future Of Qantas
POLL: The Future Of Qantas
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 78
Guests cannot vote 
traderone
post Posted: Feb 27 2014, 05:17 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: Mr. Muzz's post @ Feb 27 2014, 04:28 PM

Privatise the ABC. Spin-off the Jetstar assets. Use the funds to re-nationalise QAN.

The only upside QAN holders have is a private equity takeout - which the government will block anyway. What's the point of putting shareholders through more cap raisings and dilution?

Funding for the ABC for 1-year alone is close to 1bn. Qantas is only capped at 2.5bn. Pay shareholders a small premium and be done with it. Apply govt borrowing to QAN’s junk status and they will easily pay down the debt over time.

QAN should be used as critical national service and leveraged for broader economy. The economic externalities to be driven from a national aviation carrier are huge.

No question bad management are exacerbating the problem but Emirates, Etihad, Singapore etc… must just sit around laughing at us.

Mr. Muzz
post Posted: Feb 27 2014, 04:28 PM
  Quote Post

Hasn't Joyce had long enough ...

He was CEO of Jetstar from 2003 to 2008 and then appointed CEO of Qantas in 2008 to today ... the results are a shocker

balance
post Posted: Feb 27 2014, 04:10 PM
  Quote Post

Firstly I am biased as I worked in aviation for many, many years and have many mates at Qantas.

The board and Joyce are responsible for the company's performance. That's what the big bucks get you. Responsibility and the expectation you take it seriously.

He has failed to take responsibility for his errors under his watch. The company has done nothing but go down hill since he took over.

SP down the chute, no divvies, shrinking the network selling off assets etc.

The aviation landscape and its regulations have changed dramatically over the last 5-10 years or and they have failed to respond quickly enough or in the right fashion.

Strategic errors have been made.
Aircraft choice errors have been made.
Massive IR errors have been made.
Staff are the enemy and are treated with contempt.
Change management for regulatory changes has been poor hence they've gone nuclear now.
Jetstar has been nurtured at the cost of Qantas. Many say they have paid their bills for years.
They have engaged in a capacity war with Virgin but were out smarted when Virgin raised a few hundred million from its backers.
Grounded the airline rather than consult staff and its unions in a sensible fashion.
Spent (wasted) 100 million on a buyback at considerably higher prices.

In short staff are paying the price for major errors made by Joyce and co.

Many of the 5000 will not know who they are for sometime yet and many will continue to fly and work on aircraft under great stress and uncertainty.

I am not in favour of a loan guarantee as it is tantamount to endorsing current policy.

Changing of the Qantas Sales Act will allow more or total off shoring and likely a takeover by a foreign airline most likely one owned and backed by another government. To me that is unacceptable be it the yanks, poms or the emirates.

As weird as it sounds re-nationalisation makes more sense given many of Qantas' rivals are govt owned or backed. Between having them owned by a foreign state or our govt I'll go local thanks.

Policy that has lost thousands of jobs, alienated several major Australian cities where they longer fly from, lost market share, started low cost operations in Asia at great cost without profit, gifted routes to Jetstar, stopped flying to desirable destinations or serviced them inadequately to name a few.

Joyce at least must take the fall. Leigh Clifford should also go as he has backed Joyce to the hilt.

I call on them both to resign.

--------------------
Day Trader: Lowest form of life in the known universe.
Shorter: Can limbo under a day trader.
Investor: Salt of the Earth.Sits to the right of God (Warren Buffet)
Share prices are only ever manipulated down.
Paper losses are not really losses.
Chat site posters always know better & know more than anyone about anything.
I'm 29.
The cheque is in the mail.

frodo
post Posted: Feb 27 2014, 04:04 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Feb 27 2014, 03:54 PM

I love Qantas but planes need updating and maintenance needs to be carried out in this country so that may give people lots of jobs and make sure our planes are safe.
It is a business afterall and if they cant run it at a profit then it needs to be taken over and run by people who know what they are doing but keep it under the Oz banner
I know someone who could fix their bottom line P Costello he would soon have it firing.

Badly managed cant be anything else.

Gov should dip in short term until its sorted by competent management.

nipper
post Posted: Feb 27 2014, 03:54 PM
  Quote Post

Joyce = Trujillo

market forces will only allow a duopoly. No subsidies, though - it's called 'picking winners' and usually fails.

only one good air-related stock ... that''s SYD (now that AIX got taken out)

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

fraz2
post Posted: Feb 27 2014, 03:13 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: LIVERPOOL's post @ Feb 27 2014, 02:54 PM

In my opinion it is as if joyce has made his way on the board of qantas with an ulterior motive in mind.
Who does he really work for? devilsmiley.gif
There should be a royal commission into this. tongue.gif

--------------------
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do.

Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.

Featured Stock Stories

abner29
post Posted: Feb 27 2014, 03:11 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: ShareScene.com's post @ Feb 27 2014, 01:51 PM

Major effort needs to be put forth to regain passenger friendly behavior by employees. Current reputation is terrible.

LIVERPOOL
post Posted: Feb 27 2014, 02:54 PM
  Quote Post

It's simple, get rid of Alan Joyce!

ShareScene.com
post Posted: Feb 27 2014, 01:51 PM
  Quote Post

Qantas has confirmed that it will cut 5,000 jobs, sell leases on airport terminals and retire older passenger jets in an attempt to regain profitability. Will it work? Is it even worth trying? What role if any should government play?

Post your thoughts and take the ShareScene Poll.

3 Pages (Click to Jump) V  < 1 2 3

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING