Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

497 Pages (Click to Jump) V  « < 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 > »    

Reply to this topic

SLX, SILEX SYSTEMS LIMITED
k9_
post Posted: Aug 12 2009, 08:10 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: moosey's post @ Aug 12 2009, 02:29 PM

Hi Moosey,

MD answered your question at the last AGM - reason for the delay in getting the results from NREL was due to the very high demand for testing I think a US government incentive program may have had something to do with it..

moosey
post Posted: Aug 12 2009, 02:29 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: moosey's post @ Aug 11 2009, 03:15 PM

Some interesting share price movement in the last couple of days, I don't really think we will get any stability in the shareprice until we start seeing some royalties or sales of solar panels, still it's fun to watch all the same.

it's interesting to look back in time at how solar has progressed,

1839: PV effect recognized by French physicist Alexandre-Edmond Becquerel

1883: Charles Fritts first solar cell (Se/Au for 1% eff)

1946: Russell Ohl patented modern solar cell design

1954: Bell Labs noticed doped s/c were sensitive to light

1958: Hoffman electronics (9%), 1960 (14%)

1985: University of South Wales (20%)

1994: NREL using GaInP/GaAs (30%)

2006: Boeing-spectrolab (40.7%)

2008: NREL (40.8%) NB: Uof Delaware claimed 42.8% in 2007

Rapid growth in PV modules is predicted

Production for 2012 is being sold today based on the output of manufacturing facilities that have not yet been built.

Revenues from these advance sales are being used to finance the production facilities needed.
(Not in silex's case)

So, it can be seen that the higher efficiencies that Silex will be looking for have already been achieved, but the rub of it is this, it is at a much higher cost than what they estimate thin film can do it for,it is efficient and cheap as well, the part that intrigues me is that NREL were the ones that Silex/Translucent hired to test the first batch of REO thin film , NREL was taking forever? so it was decided by Silex to let the Herriot Watt University also look at the results? we were told that there was some minor electrical mismatch or problem but that they are working on a fix for that ? but why did NREL take so long? were they suprised at what they saw? remember that they are, or at least were, one of the top achievers in the efficiency stakes back in 2008?

Are there any Chartists here ? what does this look like in TA terms? TIA

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
All posters Please note, the decision to either buy or sell this share is entirely the individuals choice, I am not authorised to give investment advice, I post here to discuss the merits of technology as I see it, which may or may not be correct? and any information here is worth what you paid for it! the moose is loose

moosey
post Posted: Aug 11 2009, 03:15 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: k9_'s post @ Aug 11 2009, 12:46 PM

Yeah I also saw that K9, we know that the first panels to be produced will be just the same as any other silicon panels on the market with an efficiency of around 17% so they tell us, I also think that they will be ramping up the efficiency in steps, and I seem to recall Silex saying something along those lines, if you look at this link http://www.delmarphotonics.com/lebby.pdf and look at page 37 of 49 you will see a graph, in that graph they talk about different generations of solar, the first being the silicon panels we all know of today, the second generation is the first thin film application, the one I believe Silex are aiming for with it's first run of thin film which is third generation ( a hybrid cell, both silicon and thin film combined)), you will see from the diagram that typical efficiencies in the third generation thin film tech is about 30% or in that range, the real kicker is when they get to the fourth generation, which as you can see is in the vicinity of around fifty percent or better! won't that make em stand up and take notice!

also have a look at this document as well optoresearch.biz/Symposium/7th/.../Lebby/solarUNCCverFINAL.pdf

look at page 113, you will see it is similar to the other diagram, but gives a little more info on costs etc per watt etc, it's all very exciting isn't it.

It's worth noting that the Author of both of those documents (Michael Lebby) is on the scientific panel for solar at Silex!

But let's not get over excited just yet! that can come later, let's just take the first step and build on that!

--------------------
All posters Please note, the decision to either buy or sell this share is entirely the individuals choice, I am not authorised to give investment advice, I post here to discuss the merits of technology as I see it, which may or may not be correct? and any information here is worth what you paid for it! the moose is loose

Said 'Thanks' for this post: arbe  gregk  Me123  

k9_
post Posted: Aug 11 2009, 12:46 PM
  Quote Post

Did anyone happen to notice that yesterday’s article in the Australian referred to the expected solar conversion efficiency of the new translucent technology as being 30%?

I don’t recall this being previously announced to the market. I wonder if it was just a bit of speculation on behalf of the reporter or an actual quote from MD?

moosey
post Posted: Aug 10 2009, 11:24 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: ditch's post @ Aug 10 2009, 11:01 AM

That was my thinking as well ditch, it will be too little too late for USEC, some great moves today after the article in the Australian.

This must make for great reading by a chartist? are there any out there willing to look at this?
You will see some rudimentary lines on this that I was looking at a little while ago, but things are looking great for this in my opinion.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

ditch
post Posted: Aug 10 2009, 11:01 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: moosey's post @ Aug 6 2009, 11:41 AM

G'day Moosey,
Interesting that the time suggested for USEC to upgrade it's application etc to DOE for loan guarantees is about 6 months by which time our Test Loop should be home and hosed. Whats the scene for USEC then? Even if they proceed their product should be a lot dearer than GLE's and what market share can they expect?
It's a big worry for USEC and a good reason for GLE to pull their finger out.
ditch

gulf
post Posted: Aug 10 2009, 08:09 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: macduffy's post @ Aug 10 2009, 05:49 AM

Thanks
Paul McCarthy (I think) was with UBS at the float time - certainly has covered the stock for a long time.

macduffy
post Posted: Aug 10 2009, 05:49 AM
  Quote Post

A nice boost for SLX here.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/busin...5005200,00.html

Said 'Thanks' for this post: Clocker  Me123  onefineday  PaulB  gregk  

moosey
post Posted: Aug 7 2009, 08:05 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: moosey's post @ Aug 7 2009, 07:44 PM

Trading carbon for disaster

Recent Gottliebsen

It has no comparison in importance, but like the Washington Post writers on Watergate, every time I write on the Australian carbon crisis I feel this will be my last commentary on the subject. But every time I write, new information is put before me to encourage me to keep going.

Such is the power of Business Spectator that yesterday most of the players, excluding the Canberra public service, met with me (and Alan Kohler and Steve Bartholomeusz) under the 'Chatham House Rule'. What they told us had me reeling. Much of what I am about to write will be denied but have no doubt it is true. Having got through the GFC this is without doubt Australia's biggest looming crisis and it will effect all citizens.

Effectively large segments of global energy capital will either black ban Australia or demand much higher returns with enormous consequences to this nation, including consequences for new renewable energy projects.

But we are getting ahead of ourselves. Let's go step by step through what is about to happen to our nation because of an inexperienced government and an incompetent opposition.

-- In most parts of the world, apart from Australia, it is believed that the form of carbon trading scheme being proposed by Australia will not promote investment in lower carbon energy alternatives. We are about to prove the rest of the world right.

-- When a nation or a company is doing something stupid there will be a trigger that explodes the wrong strategy. In this case it is the Latrobe Valley brown coal power stations. These stations have huge debt repayments and emit a lot of carbon so the Canberra plan was that they should go broke and be bought at token prices. The plan was that the market would do its job and the power companies that own the stations and the banks that funded them will suffer well-deserved losses because they knew the risks they were taking when they made the investments and loans. If only it were so simple.

-- There are a number of large global players who invested in the Latrobe Valley, and they have not had big returns. The accepted practice in the US and Europe is that while there are no big profits for investors in legacy coal power stations there are no big losses. The power station owning groups need to have strong balance sheets to invest in renewable, gas and other low carbon power generating alternatives. Australia is thumbing its nose at the giants and global bankers and wants the world to follow us. We are about to learn what happens when you play that game and get it wrong.

-- The first step is that a number of the Latrobe Valley companies will halt long term maintenance. TRUenergy has already announced this, but at least one or two other Latrobe stations follow. The power stations say who in their right mind would spend cash when they have no idea whether the generators will be viable in the short and long term because the level of carbon charges and carbon policy is not known. Last summer every Latrobe Valley station went without a break down – the first time that has happened. This summer the odds are that they will break down. The companies are gradually abandoning long term contracts and going for the spot market which means that when there is a power station failure they will go into an Australian wide bidding process for power sending prices through the roof. However, there is a limited amount that can be sent to Victoria so Victorians will have the main burden of the price hikes and blackouts.

-- The banks will have the power to take control of at least one Latrobe Valley power station within six to nine months. They will be trying to extract as much money from the station as possible so will also cease long term maintenance and go for spot prices. If Australian and Victoria think the blackouts next summer are going to be bad wait for the following year when the full impact hits the nation.

-- Victorian Premier John Brumby's staff know exactly what is going to happen to their state and realise that although this is a Canberra induced crisis they will cop the blame. Brumby's people have gone to Canberra and been met with a wall of Godwin Greches. They might not fake emails, but they have no interest what so ever in the truth about what is going to happen. Fortunately there are some signs that not all the Canberra public servants are trained in the Godwin Grech mould and one or two are showing interest in discovering the facts.

So how do we get out of this? Step one is to vote down the crazy carbon trading legislation and forget the massive grants needed to offset the cost of carbon permits.

There will be no double dissolution because by the time one is due the disaster will be apparent. We have to devise a plan that phases out brown coal without sending the stations broke. We will need to foster low carbon gas-fired stations in the Latrobe Valley plus a lot more renewable projects. What we will need is a carbon-certain environment.

I don't think the answer can be found in Canberra. If we go to China, the US, India or Europe we will find answers.

But if all else fails, and to ensure that you're fully abreast of the situation, read my commentaries.

Here are a few to start with:

Power at any price, December 18, 2008; A monumental failing, July 14; Infrastructure on the edge of a cliff, July 15; New energy cant wait, July 15; Charging into the abyss, July 21; Kennedy's power play, July 23; Our carbon trading blunder, July 30; A precarious balance, August 5; [/font][font="Arial"]The carbon tax chorus, August 6; and also have a look at Alan Kohler's Carbon tax by proxy, August 6

and this

http://www.businessspectator.com.au/bs.nsf...ent&src=kgb

--------------------

moosey
post Posted: Aug 7 2009, 07:44 PM
  Quote Post

Some of this would be just the go!

The NSW Premier Nathan Rees has announced a new $5 million international prize for clean energy technology.

The prize will be awarded to the best clean energy project developed in a partnership which must include a NSW university and business. Mr Rees said that he expected the judges would look for leading edge research which could be developed as quickly and cheaply as possible.

The NSW Energy Challenge Prize was announced at an inaugural University Government Business Forum held on July 20 to bring together the three sectors to find new ways to tackle global challenges faced by NSW.

The Forum brought together over 80 business, university and government leaders from across the State to discuss solutions to meet major emerging issues.
Minister for Science and Medical Research Jodi McKay said identifying research priority areas will help consolidate NSW's position as Australia's leading green, clever State.

"Having a definitive approach to research across NSW will allow us to attract greater Commonwealth and international research funding, support new jobs and emerging industries and help NSW to become a globally competitive and highly skilled workforce," Ms McKay said.

"This Forum is about finding ways to support and extend the engagement between universities, industry and the Government for the benefit of the State," Ms Firth said.
http://www.researchcentre.com.au/rndinfo/n...r.php?issue=429

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: 03boz  

497 Pages (Click to Jump) V  « < 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING