Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

275 Pages (Click to Jump) V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »    

Reply to this topic

BHP, BHP BILLITON LIMITED
nipper
post Posted: Aug 4 2021, 11:24 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Aug 3 2021, 07:25 PM

and the biggest hit at Diggers and Dealers is li'l ol' BHP

https://www.sharecafe.com.au/2021/08/03/nic...back-in-favour/

Gold still has its charms, so too do iron ore and lithium, but the 30th Diggers and Dealers chatathon in Kalgoorlie this week has seen two golden oldies reclaim top spots.

Yes, nickel and copper are now the hot metals, [along] with the PGE group of precious metals (such as platinum and palladium)....

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

nipper
post Posted: Aug 3 2021, 07:25 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Jul 23 2021, 11:33 AM

what a turnaround
Nickel West is eyeing several locations for a 40 to 50 megawatt wind farm close to its nickel mining operations in the northern Goldfields region of WA.

Last week, Nickel West announced a deal with TransAlta Energy to build a 27.4 megawatt solar farm at Mt Keith and a 10.7 megawatt solar farm and 10.1 megawatt battery at Leinster to displace diesel and gas generation.

of course, if you sign with likes of Tesla that include targets for reducing emissions in mining and processing, then this is part of the package ... .. All about green credentials to pull the investment dollars

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

ShareCafe Admin
post Posted: Jul 27 2021, 10:16 AM
  Quote Post

New article up.

Jansen Potash Project the Ace in BHP's Hole

Thanks

Admin

nipper
post Posted: Jul 23 2021, 11:33 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: ShareCafe Admin's post @ Jul 23 2021, 11:05 AM

This is an interesting story on the BHP and Tesla tie up.
.... BHP will supply Tesla with nickel from its Nickel West assets in Western Australia in a collaboration which will aim to make the battery supply chain more sustainable. The two companies will focus on establishing a supply chain that features end to end raw material traceability using blockchain ... and there will not be any role for China.

and despite this chequered background, and its reputation as a carbon emitter, BHP now finds itself on the cusp of becoming a favoured green mining major for investors large and small around the world.

not nitpicking, but the BHP sustainability angle has been around for a while now. But it takes a long time to change direction for such a large company. I was trying to find the quote of the BHP mission statement of a few years ago (posted somewhere!??!)

It will be interesting to see if further resources extraction opportunities emerge. If demand for nickel in batteries is estimated to grow by more than 500% over the next decade, then what about the other components; Lithium, Graphite/ graphene, perhaps cobalt. Maybe identification of Tier 1 is the challenge?

--------------------

ShareCafe Admin
post Posted: Jul 23 2021, 11:05 AM
  Quote Post

New article up.

Nickel Worth a Dime for BHP and Tesla

Thanks

Admin

nipper
post Posted: Jul 21 2021, 10:55 AM
  Quote Post

Plenty of Arrows in the BHP Quiver

https://www.sharecafe.com.au/2021/07/20/ple...in-bhps-quiver/
While BHP shipped a record breaking amount of iron ore from its Pilbara mines in the year to June, the performance of its coking coal, copper, oil and gas and nickel businesses also stood out.....

.... BHP made clear in its June production report that it met full year production guidance for copper, metallurgical coal and nickel, as well as iron ore in the 12 months, overcoming all the difficulties of Covid, bad weather, volatile economies and political problems, especially in China....

.... I have always liked the diversification story. Yes, the company got it wrong on a few issues, and the timing has not been that great, but Tier One assets are exactly that !

Have held BHP since before 1985!

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: early birds  

nipper
post Posted: May 11 2021, 05:22 PM
  Quote Post

while the legacy was not as impressive as he hoped, one thing has done wonders for BHP (and RIO) with 62 Fe at US$230 a tonne overnight
The battle fought by BHP’s former chief executive Marius Kloppers to shift the iron ore market from a contract market to a spot market has meant the surge in demand is quickly reflected in the price.

The shift made at the same time to use a pricing structure that reflects the cost of shipping, effectively baked in Australia’s advantage over Brazil ... an advantage that is particularly valuable during the current period of high freight costs.

Australia’s miners are also holding the disciplines forced on them by the commodity price crash of 2014 when, rightly or wrongly, they were castigated by the market for overspending and overborrowing.

They are firmly focused on investing sensibly and returning excess capital to shareholders hungry for returns in a low yield world. Not only will they be Australia’s biggest dividend payers this year, but some analysts believe they may be the biggest payers in Europe too.

--------------------

early birds
post Posted: May 5 2021, 10:01 AM
  Quote Post

https://www.msn.com/en-au/money/markets/chi...ion/ar-BB1gmyLg

These are tax levels akin to expropriation and this is going to inhibit investment immediately," he said. In addition to the state-owned Codelco, Chile is host to mining operations by BHP Group Ltd, Anglo American Plc, Glencore Plc, Antofagasta Minerals and Freeport-McMoRan Inc.

===============

not big deal but something to keep eye on it

Said 'Thanks' for this post: nipper  

early birds
post Posted: Apr 22 2021, 10:49 AM
  Quote Post

BHP had solid ore sales from its mines in Western Australia in the three months to March 31 as wet weather and maintenance impacted output and exports.

BHP said it shipped 66 million tonnes of iron ore from its mines in WA’s Pilbara, slightly below market expectations.

Production fell 4% to 59.9 million tonnes for the quarter, leaving output up 4% for the first three quarters of the year at 188 million tonnes

Sales for the first nine months of 2020-21 totalled 210.1 million tonnes, up from 206.2 million tonnes in the same period of 2019-20.

But that has left BHP on track to achieve the top end of its full-year iron ore target range of 276-286 million tonnes, the company said in the update

“We are reliably executing our major projects, bringing on new supply in copper, petroleum and iron ore,” BHP CEO Mike Henry said.

“With our focus on keeping our people safe, costs down and productivity up, we are well positioned to finish the year strongly and continue delivering the essential products the world needs.”

Iron ore prices continued their surge on Tuesday and are now near all-time highs at $US189 a tonne for 62% Fe fines after Brazilian mining giant Vale this week said it had produced less ore than expected compared to the December quarter – 68 million tonnes vs 84.5 million tonnes.

But Vale’s shipments were 14% higher than the first quarter a year ago at more than 65 million tonnes.

Australia’s second-biggest miner, Rio Tinto, also said its iron ore output fell 2% in the quarter due to wet weather and labour shortages the company was facing in WA’s Pilbara.

Following the quarter’s performance, production guidance for 2020-21 remains unchanged for petroleum and iron ore. However, guidance for the company’s copper production has been increased to between 1.535 million tonnes to 1.660 million tonnes, reflecting the strong performance from the Escondida in Chile.

For metallurgical coal front, BHP has reduced its guidance to between 39 million tonnes and 41 million tonnes due to poor weather conditions. The lower expected coal volumes have also increased expected unit costs for Queensland Coal to $US74 and $US78 a tonne.

At the end of March, BHP had four major projects under development across petroleum, iron ore, and potash. These projects combined carry a combined budget of US$8.5 billion over the project’s life. All of the projects remain on track.

The $US3.06 billion South Flank iron ore project in the Pilbara is on track to begin production by the middle of the year while the company says it will make the final investment decision on the first stage of the Jansen potash project in Canada mid-year.

BHP shares fell 0.5% to $47.21.

======================

nipper
post Posted: Feb 16 2021, 02:56 PM
  Quote Post

BHP net profit fell by one fifth from $US4.9 billion a year ago to nearly $US3.9 billion ($5.01 billion) for the six months to end of December after one-off write-downs of $US2.2 billion, mainly from its coal mines in New South Wales, its part-owned Cerrejon open cut coal mine in Columbia and tax losses.

However, record production of iron ore in Western Australia and copper extraction from its Escondida mine in Chile, combined with higher prices for both commodities, saw net profit before write-downs rise 16 per cent to $US6.04 billion ($7.76 billion) for the six months to the end of December from $5.19 billion for the same time in 2019. That was lower than the $US6.33 billion expected by analysts.

Investors will get a record interim dividend of $US1.01 a share, up from $US0.65 for the same period last year.

--------------------

275 Pages (Click to Jump) V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING