Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

7 Pages (Click to Jump) V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »    

Reply to this topic

Wine, Wine Discussion
Duster
post Posted: Jan 31 2011, 12:27 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: hungry's post @ Jan 31 2011, 11:59 AM

No takers Hungry, I must admit the day I cracked one, I didn't mention the few consumed prior. I may have another try, with the good one first next time......lol

I've really got to stop drinking good wine when I'm half pissed. My circle of friends don't help weirdsmiley.gif

--------------------
Patience is the key to success.

hungry
post Posted: Jan 31 2011, 11:59 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: Duster's post @ Jan 11 2011, 10:33 PM

[quote] If anyone wants to buy the other five PM me

Duster
Did you get any takers?
I'd be more than happy to pop over & help you digest the remainders biggrin.gif

Duster
post Posted: Jan 31 2011, 11:48 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: Duster's post @ Dec 13 2010, 08:15 PM

Re: Bird in Hand - nest egg

Tried a Bird in Hand "Nest Egg" last night. Very impressed at around $50

http://www.decanter.com/news/wine-news/514...r-readers-urged

--------------------

arty
post Posted: Jan 11 2011, 11:28 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Dec 15 2010, 12:25 PM

Hi nipper;

Just reading your note on the '86 Bin 707:
tasting notes: smelled a bit on opening - a bit of oxygen; not complex, but the wine went the distance and lasted well ; took an hour to open up (or maybe the 2nd glass is better due to the drinker's mood) ; colour - losing its deep ruby and tending to slight brownish tinge.

Not quite on the same page, but I've noticed something similar in a 2000 Cab Shiraz of which I still have a couple of cases. I also find that the colour changed to slight brownish - in some bottles it's more prominent than in others; the bottles that have discouloured more seem also to have more "crunchy" sediments. But the taste is not too badly affected.
OK, if I went to a restaurant where I paid $100 or more for a bottle, I'd send it back; but where do I send it at my own home? wacko.gif

--------------------
I trade daily, but I am not a licensed adviser. Whether you find my ideas reasonable or not: The only person responsible for your actions is YOU.
I follow two rules: (1) There are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. (2) Whatever is inconsistent with observed facts must be discarded or revised. We must understand the Market as it is and not confuse how it is with how we wish it to be. (inspired by Carl Sagan)

Duster
post Posted: Jan 11 2011, 10:33 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: JMcDog's post @ Dec 15 2010, 03:08 PM

Hi J Mc,

Wynn's John Riddoch around the $20 mark too.

I have a case of 1998 John Riddoch magnums in the cellar. I cracked one on NY's day and was a little disappointed considering the $300 - $400 price tag.

If anyone wants to buy the other five PM me.

--------------------

JMcDog
post Posted: Dec 15 2010, 03:08 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Dec 15 2010, 12:25 PM

Ahhh I remember those days well.... went on a bit of a buying spree circa 1987/88 and used to buy Bin 389 by the case at $6-99 a
bottle.... mind you the 1980 and 1981 Grange could be bought for $39 too.... seemed a hell of a lot at the time so I'd limit myself to
only 3 of each vintage. St Henri was $11-99 a bottle and yes the Bin 707 could be found around the $20 mark. Same for the
Lindemans St George, Limestone Ridge and Pyrus - all $16 on special.... Wynn's John Riddoch around the $20 mark too.

Don't get me started on the Bordeaux bargains of the day.... some of the wine specialty retailers were very good at getting their hands on a few gems.

In any event, I'd be VERY happy to score a few cases of the Bin 389 for Xmas at $6-99.... but it aint going to happen.

Cheers and compliments of the season to all.

JM

nipper
post Posted: Dec 15 2010, 12:25 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: arty's post @ Dec 15 2010, 11:52 AM

opened the last of my 1986 Bin 707 on Sunday -

tasting notes: smelled a bit on opening - a bit of oxygen; not complex, but the wine went the distance and lasted well ; took an hour to open up (or maybe the 2nd glass is better due to the drinker's mood) ; colour - losing its deep ruby and tending to slight brownish
tinge.

It was OK for a $22 bottle from Farmer Bros ca. 1988 !

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

arty
post Posted: Dec 15 2010, 11:52 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: draughtsman's post @ Dec 15 2010, 11:24 AM

ask her to bring back a dozen. Might finance her trip - and then some smile.gif
Neither do I find a ten-fold taste difference between, say, a Bin 407 and the Grange. Actually, I prefer the "Baby Grange" 289.

--------------------
I trade daily, but I am not a licensed adviser. Whether you find my ideas reasonable or not: The only person responsible for your actions is YOU.
I follow two rules: (1) There are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. (2) Whatever is inconsistent with observed facts must be discarded or revised. We must understand the Market as it is and not confuse how it is with how we wish it to be. (inspired by Carl Sagan)

draughtsman
post Posted: Dec 15 2010, 11:24 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: arty's post @ Dec 13 2010, 10:25 PM

Arty,

Wife and I were in New York this time last year to celebrate arrival of first grand child. Son in law advised there was a very good wine shop nearby where Penfolds Grange was available. Wine shop owner turned out to be an Aussie and had the Grange available for $270 a bottle (is actually far more than I would spend on a bottle of wine but hey,,,, first grand child and NY as well). The shop owner managed to pick up considerable quantities of the Grange when our AUD was about half what it is now and was still selling it based on his original purchase price. Needless to say the Grange was excellent but the shop owner tried to persuade us to buy almost any French wine he had on his shelves as it will be a far better wine and about half the price. Was quite tempted but some exotic French wine for our celebrations would have meant nothing.

Cheers

--------------------
draughtsman

You don't know what you don't know

Duster
post Posted: Dec 14 2010, 05:25 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Dec 13 2010, 09:07 PM

Hi Nipper,

Marsanne is an interesting variety. I often drink d'Arenberg "Hermit Crab" viognier/marsaane with spicy Indian or Thai. Great value at around $15.00. Probably not something that you would just crack and drink though.

Arty,

The last Hill Of Grace I had was a real disappointment. Not the wine, but myself. As you do from time to time, I cracked it three parts pissed. There are some fantastic, expensive reds around but I can't bring myself to pay that kind of money. Jim Barry's "Armagh" is up there at half the price, as is Yalumba's "Octavius" and don't forget Grant Burge's "Meshach"

Cheers,
Duster

--------------------

7 Pages (Click to Jump) V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING