Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

4 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 >   

Reply to this topic

HEADS UP TRADE, For those who like a break out trade and the likes....
arty
post Posted: Apr 9 2014, 09:23 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: batikit's post @ Apr 8 2014, 11:41 PM

I appreciate your concern, batikit;

The range from which a breakout may be about to happen, is only a couple of months old and volume is still low.

The tradeable patterns I look for are usually based on a time period of one to two months, and I apply a volume filter, which I have reduced to an average of $50K/day. As always, I set the initial stop to match those parameters; I also set my initial commitment of capital to a level that a failure won't hurt, and only add when the underlying assumption becomes confirmed.

It's in the nature of breakout trades that they get going at a rapid rate; that's why I'm happy to get set early.

Attached File  APZ_w_08_04_14.gif ( 21.65K ) Number of downloads: 12

The weekly chart still shows a falling trend. Therefore, I consider a prolonged range-bound period quite possible, should the last three candles end as a "false break". Maybe we have to wait for a "4th attempt breakout"?

PS: After these "Breakout" discussions, we should probably revert to the APZ thread for future updates.

--------------------
I trade daily, but I am not a licensed adviser. Whether you find my ideas reasonable or not: The only person responsible for your actions is YOU.
I follow two rules: (1) There are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. (2) Whatever is inconsistent with observed facts must be discarded or revised. We must understand the Market as it is and not confuse how it is with how we wish it to be. (inspired by Carl Sagan)

batikit
post Posted: Apr 8 2014, 11:41 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: arty's post @ Apr 8 2014, 06:32 PM

Hi Arty

The trading range between 1.14 and 1.30 is about 1.5month old. I dont consider it has stayed that range long enough to give you a powerful upward movement, not to mention the long term falling resistance at around 1.35

But I do agree the stop you put is about right. Play safe , specially on a light vol stock. Even the stop is hit the sell order might be taken out by the bid lower than 2.99 due to the lack of volume....hence more loss you would be forced to take. Tight stop should protect you from this sort of situation
Attached File(s)
Attached File  apz_ax_price_daily.28nov12_to_12apr14.png ( 137.23K ) Number of downloads: 11

arty
post Posted: Apr 8 2014, 06:32 PM
  Quote Post

Rather than opening a new topic, I'd like to revive this Golden Oldie to give a heads-up on a break-out trade that I entered today.

Attached File  APZ_08_04_14.gif ( 17.96K ) Number of downloads: 16

A chart tells it better than 1000 words: Three times, resistance at $1.30 has held; on Friday, the 4th attempt finally succeeded.
I still had APZ on a watchlist - the Illuminati will recognise those "A" and "T" signals along the bottom. Therefore, I received the break alert and acted on it today. (Why not on Friday or Monday? Look at the volume. I wanted to make sure it's not a false break.)
Targets up to $1.54, with top-up on the way as opportunities arise; first stop-loss a Close Below $1.30.

--------------------
I trade daily, but I am not a licensed adviser. Whether you find my ideas reasonable or not: The only person responsible for your actions is YOU.
I follow two rules: (1) There are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. (2) Whatever is inconsistent with observed facts must be discarded or revised. We must understand the Market as it is and not confuse how it is with how we wish it to be. (inspired by Carl Sagan)

K-oss
post Posted: May 29 2008, 03:42 PM
  Quote Post

In reply to: K-oss on Thursday 29/05/08 12:16pm

............and just like that, the 2.4's gone, and the 2.5's, now 2.5 BID...... lookin good to break this high smile.gif

Cheers,
K-oss.

--------------------
Charts posted purely for those interested in charts, I'm not interested in entering charts v's fundamental analysis debates, end of story.
CHARTS HAVE MERITS, AS DO FUNDAMENTALS!

Opinion only, NOT advice, I am not a licensed advisor. Caveat emptor.

FIREFOX users, right click chart image and chose "view image"

K-oss
post Posted: May 29 2008, 12:16 PM
  Quote Post

From IMI thread:

IMI looks to be forming a higher low outside the old downtrend - which would confirm a new uptrend.
Ran up on good volume today... but then drifted back on no volume... thats what "they" do when they want to accumulate more... since it got back to the 2.2 level, i've been watching ... everytime someone sells into the 2.2's, and takes almost all of them, a buyer tops up the bids... eventually too many buyers notice this, then the accumulator has to move up a level... which seems to be happening right now. There's still 5mil on offer @ 2.4, but we know how IMI trades - that can be taken out in one hit.
I think this has finally bottomed, and should begin trending back towards the heights of last year.
Volume becoming more consistant too - another good sign.
I'm on from 2.2, stop fairly wide @ 1.9 - but doubt i'll need it wink.gif
Cheers,
K-oss

Attached File(s)
Attached File  imi_29_5_08.gif ( 16.31K ) Number of downloads: 3

--------------------
Charts posted purely for those interested in charts, I'm not interested in entering charts v's fundamental analysis debates, end of story.
CHARTS HAVE MERITS, AS DO FUNDAMENTALS!

Opinion only, NOT advice, I am not a licensed advisor. Caveat emptor.

FIREFOX users, right click chart image and chose "view image"

Said 'Thanks' for this post: shaolintrade  

stezz
post Posted: May 29 2008, 11:23 AM
  Quote Post

I'll try for number 2. AAH. I try to pick em based on fundamentals and use the charts for timing. This one has loads of cash (75% of Mkt cap) and promising drug pipeline...
Attached File(s)
Attached File  AAH.JPG ( 24.25K ) Number of downloads: 0

stezz
post Posted: May 22 2008, 10:09 AM
  Quote Post

In reply to: stezz on Wednesday 21/05/08 03:29am

And off it goes cool.gif

stezz
post Posted: May 21 2008, 03:29 PM
  Quote Post

I'm definitely no chartist but VPE looks to me about to break through resistance at 21.5c.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  VPE.jpg ( 37.86K ) Number of downloads: 0

Said 'Thanks' for this post: shaolintrade  

Alburnia
post Posted: May 21 2008, 12:19 PM
  Quote Post

STO into blue.....

--------------------
Never look back...well maybe sometimes

Ooops
post Posted: May 21 2008, 11:55 AM
  Quote Post

ESG is worth keeping an eye on for the break of a 2 year high.

Announcement made today also.

4 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 >

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING