Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

A reminder to all members that you agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

5 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

Electric Vehicles, the Investment Ecosystem
balance
post Posted: Jul 7 2020, 08:46 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Jul 7 2020, 03:18 PM

I think it's great to see old vehicles restored. It's history, and old cars get rarer and rarer. Very beneficial for those doing it. We have an old skyline in the drive needing considerable TLC.

--------------------
Day Trader: Lowest form of life in the known universe.
Shorter: Can limbo under a day trader.
Investor: Salt of the Earth.Sits to the right of God (Warren Buffet)
Share prices are only ever manipulated down.
Paper losses are not really losses.
Chat site posters always know better & know more than anyone about anything.
I'm 29.
The cheque is in the mail.

mullokintyre
post Posted: Jul 7 2020, 03:18 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: balance's post @ Jul 7 2020, 03:11 PM

Yeah,its probably not a great investment, and probably not practical.
But sometimes you just have to do things for the sake of doing them.
The 1952 landrover I have is in need of some love, affection and money.
The motor and possibly the gear box need rebuilding, and all the running gear will need to be replaced, but, hey, its better than passing it across some publicans bar!
Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

balance
post Posted: Jul 7 2020, 03:11 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Jul 7 2020, 09:42 AM

A tesla is way above my price range. I'm more a Leaf or Kona guy and even then I'd wince.
Is converting an old Range Rover worthwhile? You get a nice large EV, but it's still an old body 4WD with the limitations of an EV. Dragging around a big body car in town, but without the range one would like if out touring.

--------------------
I'm 29.

mullokintyre
post Posted: Jul 7 2020, 09:42 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: balance's post @ Jul 7 2020, 09:04 AM

Expensive indeed, but still cheaper than buying a new Tesla.
Here is a new TESLA on CARSALES . Priced at a very reasonable $196,000.
Could buy a very nice Seneca IV or two Twin comanches for that price and travel twenty times the distance on a single fill up.

Mick

--------------------

balance
post Posted: Jul 7 2020, 09:04 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Jul 6 2020, 07:47 PM

G'day Mick,

It looks like a very interesting business, although conversion is an expensive exercise.

--------------------
I'm 29.

mullokintyre
post Posted: Jul 6 2020, 07:47 PM
  Quote Post

Came across an interesting company today, Evoluyionaustralia

They have an eclectic mix of business models.
The first part is the distribution and installation of EV charging stations from private to corporate.
But the part that most interested me is where they take an existing ICE vehicle, and convert them to Electric vehicles.
A mate of mine is getting an early model Range Rover converted total EV at their factory.
I will be following it with great interest, as i have an early model landrover that I have started to restore.
Could be interesting.
Mick

--------------------

Featured Stock Stories

nipper
post Posted: Jun 29 2020, 04:06 PM
  Quote Post

California will require at least 50% of truck sales to be electric by 2035, with the goal of making all new trucks sold in California zero-emission by 2045.

https://qz.com/1873158/california-votes-to-...lectric-trucks/

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

Nopoo
post Posted: Jun 25 2020, 03:29 PM
  Quote Post

Ideanomics MEG Truck Division Medici Motor Works Reveals Branding and Positioning

https://investors.ideanomics.com/2020-06-24...and-Positioning

--------------------
Nopoo

Nopoo
post Posted: Jun 16 2020, 02:51 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Jun 15 2020, 05:01 PM

Alf Poor, CEO of Ideanomics (IDEX), Discusses Chinese EV Market & AI-Powered Fintech on CEO Roadshow

https://youtu.be/3F82SbAxTTI

--------------------
Nopoo

mullokintyre
post Posted: Jun 15 2020, 05:01 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Jun 12 2020, 08:50 PM

And now the US Nikola co is taking orders for a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle.
From Unsealed 4x4

The Nikola Badger electric ute, with its innovative hydrogen fuel cell electric powertrain, is one step closer to becoming a production reality after company founder Trevor Milton announced orders will be taken from 29 June.Unlike the Tesla Cybertruck, the Nikola Badger is a smaller ute that will compete with the likes of the Ford F-150 and Toyota Tacoma in the US, and vehicles like the Ford Ranger and Toyota HiLux when it eventually lands in Australia. And as it’s a fuel cell electric vehicle (FCEV), it can be refilled with hydrogen as quick as any petrol- or diesel-engine vehicle… as soon as the infrastructure is in place, of course.

The Badger features traditional 4×4-ute styling and there’s no doubt it’s a good-looking vehicle, and it has all of the attributes that a 4×4 ute should have… plus some more. As well as it’s 4×4 driveline, the Badger looks set to be an on-road perfromance powerhouse, with a claimed 0-60mph (96km/h) time of 2.9 seconds thanks to electric motors that produce a claimed 675kW of power and 1328Nm of torque.

Nikola also claims a 600-mile (965km) range for the Badger using both its hydrogen fuel cell and battery, and those who don’t have access to a hydrogen refuelling station (pretty much everyone right now), the Badger will still be able to travel up to 300 miles (482km) on its fully-charged battery.The Badger will have a claimed maximum braked towing capacity in excess of 8000 pounds (3628kg) and, according to Nikola, it will be able to operate in conditions down to -28°C without significant performance or SOC (state of charge) losses.

The five-seat Badger ute will measure an estimated 5900mm long x 2160mm wide x 1850mm tall, and will have a 1560mm bed width. For comparative purposes a Ford Ranger measures 5382mm long x 2163 wide x 1815 tall with a 1560mm bed width.

And in keeping with the Tesla Tradition, although it has produced no cars as yet, and does not even habe a production facility, let amone a maintenance sales and spare parts facility,

Although Nikola Motor Company is yet to produce a vehicle, it has reportedly started work on its manufacturing facility in Coolidge, Arizona. As of the close of markets yesterday, the company’s market value was a staggering US$28.63 billion… more than either Ford or Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA)!

The market is truly mad and when it all comes crashing down, there will be a more than a little collateral damage.

Mick

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: rlane  Pendragon  

5 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING