Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

58 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

Peak Oil/Peak Exports
triage
post Posted: Dec 18 2016, 10:14 PM
  Quote Post

Here's a post mortem of the peak oil movement. Reads impressive but I don't buy it, I think the writer sounds like a sophist.

http://thearchdruidreport.blogspot.com.au/...ent-failed.html

What I have garnered is that the single thing that stopped the peak oil movement in its tracks was the development of fracking and horizontal drilling technologies in the US which created the shale oil and gas sectors. If not for shale oil then the Russians and Saudis would happily be selling oil for three digits a barrel, oil exploration and production in high cost areas would still be going gangbusters, consuming economies would still be under strain from energy costs, and the push for energy alternatives would be even more vigorous than it is now.

People agonise about whether Vlad Putin is mucking with our democratic processes. Well of course he is - what exactly would you expect an active particpant in the cold war to do - but in some ways just as importantly he has been messing with our energy industry as well. The biggest threat to Mr Putin's administration is depressed oil prices and he and his agents and money have been successful in closing down fracking in various parts of Europe and various states in Australia (all those nasho cow cockies in northern NSW should hang their heads in shame in doing Uncle Vlad's bidding). But whackily it seems that Donald Trump will be causing the Russians harm if he does what he said he'd do by expanding the shale oil industry in the US.

Counter to that, Mr Trump may assist Mr Putin were he to back away from climate change measures and from the sanctions currently in place to penalise Russia for Crimea.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/201...-climate-change

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

Mozart fixes everything and Messi is a dog

early birds
post Posted: Sep 13 2016, 12:19 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: Pendragon's post @ Sep 12 2016, 11:28 PM

full time employment was defined as 40 hours per week now a person can be counted as employed working only 1 hour per week.
============

lmaosmiley.gif now you talking man!! not just Govt, most of people doing it, try twist the statistics to back them self's claim .
i saw many of those analysts twist the data eg. to back their call for the big shorts or big longs
these days ,we got confused some times. cool.gif

Pendragon
post Posted: Sep 12 2016, 11:28 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Sep 12 2016, 07:52 PM

Please remind me - when was a major oil field discovered and put into production?
Ain't going to see another Ghawar.

Peak oil is peak oil. What they have done is change the definition. Confused the issue.

Bit like when I started working in employment statistics - full time employment was defined as 40 hours per week now a person can be counted as employed working only 1 hour per week.

Said 'Thanks' for this post: early birds  

nipper
post Posted: Sep 12 2016, 07:52 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: balance's post @ Nov 27 2014, 04:04 PM

Peak Oil: gone and forgotten?

Google Inc. searches for the idea that once helped propel oil prices to nearly $150 per barrel have dwindled to almost nothing, according to a Sanford C. Bernstein analysis.

The theory that oil prices would have to rise as supply inevitably declined gained hold on popular imaginations in the mid- to late 2000s, but has since languished in internet obscurity, as new discoveries and technology, including the shale revolution that helped push U.S. oil production to a 40-year high, have ensured plentiful amounts of crude in recent years.

Underscoring the trend is the fact that Google searches for "too much oil" recently outstripped searches for "Peak Oil." Prices per barrel are currently languishing around $45.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/201...eak-oil-is-dead

(This time it's different)

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

Said 'Thanks' for this post: early birds  wolverine  

balance
post Posted: Nov 27 2014, 04:04 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: Brierley's post @ Nov 27 2014, 03:31 PM

Then again, maybe the gov can now jackup the fuel excise to help plug the deficit

They have, last budget.

--------------------
Day Trader: Lowest form of life in the known universe.
Shorter: Can limbo under a day trader.
Investor: Salt of the Earth.Sits to the right of God (Warren Buffet)
Share prices are only ever manipulated down.
Paper losses are not really losses.
Chat site posters always know better & know more than anyone about anything.
I'm 29.
The cheque is in the mail.

Brierley
post Posted: Nov 27 2014, 03:31 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Nov 27 2014, 01:07 PM

Sounds good
I look fwd to paying less across the board for most goods and services, given the lower energy inputs.

Then again, maybe the gov can now jackup the fuel excise to help plug the deficit.

It is interesting, this bearishness on POO, at the start of Northern Hemisphere winter, normally a supportive season for oil prices.

sentifi.com

Share Cafe Sentifi Top themes and market attention on:

PeterH
post Posted: Nov 27 2014, 02:56 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Nov 27 2014, 01:07 PM

Quite simply it has changed from unable to produce any more because it ain't there to can't produce any more at this price because it is getting more and more costly to extract.

Don't worry, there is a peak alright. It has just changed its definition. It has also changed its timing, but not by much. I'd suggest there is money to be made from this readjustment of supply factors. I reckon that if J. Paul Getty was still alive he'd be buying now or buying soon.

nipper
post Posted: Nov 27 2014, 01:07 PM
  Quote Post

Whatever happened to PEAK OIL ?

Nothing, it has just become longer ... now Peak Oil DEMAND

The precipitous decline in the price of oil is perhaps one of the most bearish macro developments this year. We believe we are entering a “new oil normal,” where oil prices stay lower for longer. While we highlighted the risk of a near-term decline in the oil price in our July newsletter, we failed to adjust our portfolio sufficiently to reflect such a scenario. This month we identify the major implications of our revised energy thesis.

The reason oil prices started sliding in June can be explained by record growth in US production, sputtering demand from Europe and China, and an unwind of the Middle East geopolitical risk premium. The world oil market, which consumes 92 million barrels a day, currently has one million barrels more than it needs. US pumped 8.97 million barrels a day by the end of October (the highest since 1985) thanks partly to increases in shale-oil output which accounts for 5 million barrels per day. Libya’s production has recovered from 200,000 barrels a day in April to 900,000 barrels a day, while war hasn’t stopped production in Iraq and output there has risen to an all-time high level of 3.3 million barrels per day. The IMF, meanwhile, has cut its projection for global growth in 2014 for the third time this year to 3.3%. Next year, it still expects growth to pick up again, but only slightly. Everyone believes that the oil-price decline is temporary. It is assumed that once oil prices plummet, the process is much more likely to be self-stabilizing than destabilizing. As the theory goes, once demand drops, price follows, and leveraged high-cost producers shut production. Eventually, supply falls to match demand and price stabilizes. When demand recovers, so does price, and marginal production returns to meet rising demand. Prices then stabilize at a higher level as supply and demand become more balanced. It has been well-said that: “In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.” For the classic model to hold true in oil’s case, the market must correctly anticipate the equilibrating role of price in the presence of supply/demand imbalances.

By 2020, we see oil demand realistically rising to no more than 96 million barrels a day. North American oil consumption has been in a structural decline, whereas the European economy is expected to remain lacklustre. Risks to the Chinese economy are tilted to the downside and we find no reason to anticipate a positive growth surprise. This limits the potential for growth in oil demand and leads us to believe global oil prices will struggle to rebound to their previous levels. The International Energy Agency says we could soon hit “peak oil demand”, due to cheaper fuel alternatives, environmental concerns, and improving oil efficiency.

The oil market will remain well supplied, even at lower prices. We believe incremental oil demand through 2020 can be met with rising output in Libya, Iraq and Iran. We expect production in Libya to return to the level prior to the civil war, adding at least 600,000 barrels a day to world supply. Big investments in Iraq’s oil industry should pay-off too with production rising an extra 1.5-2 million barrels a day over the next five years. We also believe the American-Iranian détente is serious, and that sooner or later both parties will agree to terms and reach a definitive agreement. This will eventually lead to more oil supply coming to the market from Iran, further depressing prices in the “new oil normal”. Iranian oil production has fallen from 4 million barrels a day in 2008 to 2.8 million today, which we would expect to fully recover once international relations normalize. In sum, we see the potential for supply to increase by nearly 4 m illion barrels a day at the lowest marginal cost, which should be enough to offset output cuts from marginal players in a sluggish world economy.

Our analysis leads us to conclude that the price of oil is unlikely to average $100 again for the remaining decade.
Jawad Mian

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

triage
post Posted: Aug 1 2013, 07:50 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mcart117's post @ Jul 20 2013, 07:46 PM

A great piece of emotive writing by the hyperventilating hyphen (Ambrose Evans-Pritchard of the London Tele) imo, built around the closure of that wonderful website, The Oildrum.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment...pite-shale.html

The article raises some questions that I continue to be puzzled by: such as why is the oil price remaining so high, what is stopping it from falling back to a range closer to the historical mean, how is such high prices not adversely impacting on the major economies given the fragile state that they are in, why is everyone so bullish about US shale (gas in particular) given the terrible depletion rates that shale wells apparently suffer and given the probability that the sweet spots have already been tapped, and given such a high oil price why are so many oil and gas stocks performing so miserably?

I've got no answers I'm afraid, things simply don't make much sense to me. If I take the big picture approach then I'd say that on balance the oil price will not fall back any time soon and that oil and gas stocks that are actually producing the stuff are a good place to be. But the big picture always seems to take place just over the horizon, and it is not providing me with too many wins lately.

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

Mozart fixes everything and Messi is a dog

mcart117
post Posted: Jul 20 2013, 07:46 PM
  Quote Post

The receding threat from 'peak oil'

Concerns about oil supplies running dry are receding, according to the International Energy Agency (IEA).

Massive new discoveries in the US have led to a "dramatic" change in global prospects...

According to one independent oil producer, Fred Holmes of Holmes Western ... "There's enough oil in this country for another 100 years with our present technology and there's more around the world to be found yet." ...

One leading industry figure summed up his view: "The era of cheap oil is over, but we're a long way from peak oil - costs will go up but then technology will respond."

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23280894

58 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING