Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

70 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

Silver, Discussion
mullokintyre
post Posted: Aug 8 2019, 09:17 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Jul 19 2019, 07:54 AM

Silver powered through the 17 handle overnight, though it has fallen back a bit.
May be able to bypass the LC200 series and go for a Ram diesel if this keeps up.
Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

mullokintyre
post Posted: Jul 19 2019, 07:54 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Jul 5 2019, 07:48 PM

.... how rising industrial demand has stoked a potential revival of the price of silver, which is currently reaching its 10-year low

It seems to have been largely forgotten that Silver, although often viewed as purely precious metal, is also an industrial commodity.
Unlike Gold, which is largely a storage of value, silver gets consumed.
Most people will have associated silver with photography, which with the advent of the digital age, has declined rapidly.
However, it is widely used in electronics, being a good conductor of both electricity and heat, cheaper than gold.
It is used in cars to make rear demister heaters, high current switches and in the etching of printed circuit boards.
One of the fastest growing uses is in the production of photovoltaic cells used in electricity generation.
It is of particular use in the medical field. Being acutely resistance to bacteria, its used in coating med equipment, in silver infused wound dressings etc.
Your top of the line industrial dish washer is likely to be silver lined.
So what this means is that over time, silver gets consumed.
Yes some of it is recovered and recycled, but nowhere near as often as it used to in the film industry.
And to top it off, overnight silver powered through the 16 handle on its way to 17.
Ya hoo!!

Mick

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: nipper  early birds  

mullokintyre
post Posted: Jul 18 2019, 10:55 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Jul 5 2019, 07:48 PM

The gold to Silver ratio is a bit like the oil to gold ratio.
It has wavered between highs and lows over time, but like the oil,gold ratio is an artificial construct that has no intrinsic validity.
The relationship is purely mathematical.
However, it has still been a good period for Silver. Nudging 16 at the moment.
I expect it to go higher, but may have a breather first.
Mick

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Jul 5 2019, 07:48 PM
  Quote Post

The Financial Times in London recently published an interesting piece, an editorial covering the gold to silver ratio and
.... how rising industrial demand has stoked a potential revival of the price of silver, which is currently reaching its 10-year low
- this was in a weekly newsletter from Wilson Asset Mgmt; I'll try and post the link (wish me luck).

http://www2.wilsonassetmanagement.com.au/w...583db9db313ebd4

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

jacsar
post Posted: Jul 5 2019, 04:56 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Jul 5 2019, 09:48 AM

Thanks Mick, appreciate your comments, thanks

mullokintyre
post Posted: Jul 5 2019, 09:48 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: jacsar's post @ Jul 5 2019, 09:06 AM

There are plenty of producers of silver, but of them have it as a byproduct from other minerals.
The likes of glencore, BHP and South32 are all producers, but the silver part is dwarfed by Iron ore, and other metals that they mine.
Hence, there is unlikley to much leverage.
South 32 own the cannington mine, which is the biggest silver mine in OZ.
New century mines is reopening theold Century mine, but I suspect mainly for the Zinc.
IGO and SLR (both of which I hold) also produce silver as a byproduct.
Of those not yet producing,
SVL (which I hold), is one that is a pure silver explorer and has one of the larger undeveloped deposits in OZ.
Others such as ARD, IVR , MRP and PNX all have undeveloped mines or mineral assets that they are exploring.
There is also the silver ETF, ETPMAG listed on the ASX.

Mick

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: nipper  

jacsar
post Posted: Jul 5 2019, 09:06 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Jul 5 2019, 08:46 AM

anyone have a view on the best way to follow silver on the ASX?

mullokintyre
post Posted: Jul 5 2019, 08:46 AM
  Quote Post

From KITCO

Silver’s demand is picking up with the metal seeing the largest daily ETF inflow over the past year, says BMO Global Commodities Research. “While gold ETF flows have hit the headlines over the past month, over the past week silver has seen a larger net positive change. In particular, yesterday saw the largest single daily inflow over the past year at 5.55m oz,” writes BMO Capital Markets managing director of commodities research Colin Hamilton. This marked fifth consecutive day of gains for silver. “With gold having priced in potential rate cuts extremely quickly, we view silver as the catch-up trade at present, particularly if retail investors help to lift bar and coin demand,” Hamilton says.
Gold and silver prices will remain supported for the rest of the year as risk aversion dominates the markets, according to commodity economists at Capital Economics. Looser monetary policies worldwide and slower economic growth are positive for precious metals prices. “Dovish shifts of stance by major central banks and a more downbeat outlook for global growth prompted inflows into safe-haven assets last month. We think that rising investor risk aversion will buttress gold and silver prices through the remainder of this year,” write economists. Capital Economics sees silver rising to $16 an ounce by the end of this year on stronger demand. “Coin sales have already risen so far in 2019, and should continue to benefit from the rising appetite for safe havens. As such, we expect the gold/silver price ratio to fall this year,” they say.

Silver seems to be the perennial bridesmaid in the PM markets.
Always seems to be just about ready for a breakout.
Maybe this time??
Mick

--------------------

mullokintyre
post Posted: Jun 20 2019, 07:27 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Jun 20 2019, 06:54 PM

- therein lies the problem. Retracement

I need retracements to buy back in, hopefully after selling at a reasonable profit.

Mick

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Jun 20 2019, 06:54 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Jun 20 2019, 04:31 PM

the heady days of mid 2011
- therein lies the problem. Retracement

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

70 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING