Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

2 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 >   

Reply to this topic

COL, COLES GROUP LIMITED.
nipper
post Posted: Sep 12 2019, 12:26 PM
  Quote Post

COL now pushing through $15.
(and with WES at $39, and gone ex-dividend, that's quite impressive $45 in the old pre-spinoff money)

(don't mention Kaufland/ Costco/ Aldi/ Amazon)

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

nipper
post Posted: Aug 22 2019, 10:16 AM
  Quote Post

Performance summary (retail calendar basis)
▪ Full year Group sales revenue (excluding Fuel sales and Hotels) increased by 3.1% to $35.0 billion
▪ Delivered 47th consecutive quarter of Supermarkets comparable sales growth
▪ Supermarkets EBIT growth of 2.2%; Group EBIT down 8.1% due to lower Express fuel volumes and corporate costs associated with being a standalone ASX company
▪ 30% online sales growth generating $1.1 billion in sales revenue, and first operating profit in FY19
▪ Strong cash realisation of 110% and robust balance sheet with net debt position improving to $0.5 billion, providing significant flexibility for long term growth
▪ The Coles Board has determined a total fully-franked dividend of 35.5 cents per share, comprising a final dividend and a special dividend which covers the period from 28 November 2018 (being the effective date of the demerger from Wesfarmers) to 30 June 2019.

Strategic highlights
▪ ASX listed following a successful demerger from Wesfarmers
▪ Strategic refresh to “sustainably feed all Australians to help them lead healthier, happier lives”
▪ Entered into an exclusive partnership with Ocado to bring the world’s leading online grocery website, two automated single pick fulfilment facilities and home delivery solution to Australia
▪ Entered into a partnership with Witron to develop two world class automated distribution centres
▪ Strategic partnerships announced with Optus and SAP (HR, Procurement and Finance) to accelerate technology-led transformation of stores, support centres and supply chain
▪ Commenced the New Alliance Agreement with Viva Energy to restore fuel growth
▪ Entered into an incorporated Joint Venture with Australian Venue Co in relation to Coles’ hotel and retail liquor business in Queensland to focus on liquor retailing
▪ Own Brand penetration reaching 30% at year end with over 1,200 new products launched in FY19
▪ Commenced roll-out of new store formats with Eastgardens in NSW and Clayton, Ardeer and Surrey Hills in Victoria
▪ Progress started on Smarter Selling initiatives with Store Support Centre simplification, transport hubs in Victoria and Western Australia, and wearable technology improving efficiency in store
▪ Improvements in team member safety and engagement scores
▪ $115 million to communities and suppliers through SecondBite, Redkite, Community Bags, FightMND, drought relief and Coles Nurture Fund

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

nipper
post Posted: Jun 22 2019, 05:56 PM
  Quote Post

"Time-poor customers increasingly demand solutions to feed their families easily without compromising on quality, value or nutrition."
Steven Cain, CEO, Coles Group Ltd

“There has been no notable lift in consumer sentiment after the May federal election, though the onset of colder weather has been the welcome boost for sales.”
Rob Scott, MD, Wesfarmers

“I do see the next five years in the grocery sector as the most competitive that we will ever see. The combination of existing players getting better, new players coming to town and consumers fragmenting means there is quite a challenge out there to maintain market share and grow profitability.”
Steven Cain, CEO, Coles

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Apr 29 2019, 05:48 PM
  Quote Post

Coles sees a "tale of two cities" emerging among Australian consumers, who are split between those doing it tough and seeking lower prices and those willing to pay more for convenience.

The supermarket said on Monday that its sales grew 2.4 per cent on a comparable basis in the third quarter, driven up by higher fresh food prices and another successful toy giveaway. The result, which was in-line with analysts’ expectations, came as prices ticked up 0.9 per cent - a swing from 0.8 per cent deflation in the same quarter a year ago.

Coles’ chief executive Steven Cain said inflation was driven by fresh food, with the price of popular items like apples, bananas and capsicums all rising due to weather impacts. Fruit and vegetable consumption was meanwhile driven by Coles’ “Fresh Stickeez” plastic toy giveaway, which came on the back of its popular Little Shop toy campaign in the first quarter.

Excluding fresh food and tobacco, prices fell 0.9 per cent in the quarter, Coles said, with shoppers who were being squeezed by cost of living pressures opting for lower-priced private label products. Private label products now accounts for more than 29 per cent of Coles' total sales, and it want to grow that to 40 per cent by 2023.

Mr Cain said there was a “tale of two cities” among Australian consumers, with a lot of families “doing it tough” and seeking out lower prices, and others being willing to pay for convenience through services like UberEats. Coles has said it wants to take a bigger share of the growing convenience market, with new smaller-format stores and by partnering with UberEats on a delivery service.

“There will be uncertainty around elections as we always know, and obviously lots of different policies out there, so obviously that will be weighing on consumers' minds,” Mr Cain said. "There’s certainly no evidence yet that people are out spending any potential tax cuts.” An interest rate cut, which is now considered increasingly likely, would make shoppers “feel a lot better” but benefit discretionary retailers more than Coles, Mr Cain said.

--------------------

alonso
post Posted: Apr 4 2019, 09:39 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: triage's post @ Apr 3 2019, 12:58 PM

Maybe you're right. On the other hand I often go into Woolies, any day of the week, for those impulse needs, and it's always reasonably busy.

Getting out is the hard part, with the checkouts usually occupied by the full basket people and the robots queued up.

--------------------
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears this is true"

"What is prudence in the conduct of every private family can scarce be folly in that of a great kingdom." Adam Smith

Said 'Thanks' for this post: triage  

triage
post Posted: Apr 3 2019, 12:58 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: alonso's post @ Apr 3 2019, 10:04 AM

alonso - does sound like you're not a seasoned shopper. Both Woolies and Coles work on weekly cycles starting each Wednesday. If you stick to buying special deals from them and do a bit of stockpiling the Coles/Woolies portion of your grocery bills can be reduced by 40 or 50%. Lots of people shop on Wednesdays for that reason (Aldi also puts specials out on Wednesdays and Saturdays). Then you have the pensioners and other welfare recipients (and public servants?) that get their money on a Thursday and of course the double income families have little choice but to shop on weekends. Tuesdays are at the end of that cycle so yeah the supermarkets can go a tad quiet. (I've never actually seen stats to back all this up but generally speaking Tuesdays are the quiet day in retail). rolleyes.gif

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

Mozart fixes everything and Messi is a dog

Said 'Thanks' for this post: nipper  

nipper
post Posted: Apr 3 2019, 10:17 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: alonso's post @ Apr 3 2019, 10:04 AM

can't complain about the queues, then

--------------------

alonso
post Posted: Apr 3 2019, 10:04 AM
  Quote Post

I went into a Coles supermarket yesterday for the first time in years & honestly you could have

fired a shotgun down the aisles and not hit anybody but the odd employee.

--------------------
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears this is true"

"What is prudence in the conduct of every private family can scarce be folly in that of a great kingdom." Adam Smith

nipper
post Posted: Apr 1 2019, 10:21 PM
  Quote Post

"Over 5 million Australians would now consider buying groceries online in the next 12 months – just under a third of Australian grocery shoppers. The market is there for the taking however thus far consumers haven’t been convinced by the online grocery services on offer. Just 4% of grocery shoppers buy their groceries online in an average month equivalent to about 600,000 Australians."

“Although the gap between interest in online grocery shopping and the follow through remains significant, and has persisted for several years, there have been significant developments in the Australian grocery and food markets in recent months and there are more coming."

Michele Levine, CEO Roy Morgan Research

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Jan 29 2019, 03:46 PM
  Quote Post

in a world first, Uber Eats has established a partnership with supermarket chain Coles to deliver ready-to-eat and ready-to-heat meals to time-poor consumers.

Coles and Uber Eats, the largest player in the online takeaway food-delivery market, kicked off a pilot program on Tuesday enabling customers in the Sydney suburb of Pagewood to order ready-made and semi-prepared meals from Coles through the Uber Eats app.

A dedicated team in Coles will pick the orders from supermarket shelves and hand them to Uber Eats drivers, who will deliver the orders to homes or workplaces in less than 30 minutes for a $5 delivery fee.
.. time poor, or can't find a park?

--------------------

2 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 >

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING