Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

Reply to this topic

Drilling - discussion
blacksheep
post Posted: Aug 22 2017, 11:00 PM
  Quote Post

Some useful information...
DRILLING FOR INDUSTRIAL MINERALS:
QUALITY PROCEDURES AND THE END USER
PATRICK MAHER1 AND ANDREW SCOGINGS1
INTRODUCTION
Industrial minerals are normally classified and specified according to their end uses. Common examples
are gypsum in wallboard and talc in body powder, where properties such as colour and chemical purity are
important. It is essential to understand the mineral quality and mineral distribution of a deposit in order to
meet the specifications as defined by a manufacturer or end user.

For any type of industrial mineral project, the main economic driver will be the market available for the
mineral’s non-metallurgical properties
Classification of industrial mineral deposits requires an understanding of exploration drilling procedures,
given that drilling methods could affect intrinsic properties of minerals.

Good control on the quality of data generated during the exploration drilling and project evaluation phase
is vital. It is the data produced during a drilling campaign that forms the basis for all subsequent decision
making on the specific end uses of an industrial mineral

QUALITY ASSURANCE AND QUALITY CONTROL (QA/QC) PROCEDURES IN INDUSTRIAL MINERAL
EXPLORATION DRILLING PROGRAMS.

Publicly traded companies are now required by the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX), and other
bourses, to release data that is accompanied by an outline of sampling and QA/QC procedures used during
the collection and analysis of exploration samples. Many financial institutions now require an impartial
aud
it.

Work carried out on graphite and vermiculite drilling projects detail the fact that a good QA/QC program
is one that is active and regularly reviewed throughout the data collection process (Scogings and Coombes,
2014). This ensures quality information flow for end use study..

see link for complete document
http://www.csaglobal.com/wp-content/upload...ed-abstract.pdf
http://www.csaglobal.com/wp-content/upload...acts-Volume.pdf

--------------------
The herd instinct among forecasters makes sheep look like independent thinkers. Edgar Fiedler

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. George Washington

deadone
post Posted: Mar 8 2007, 09:16 AM
  Quote Post

i read today that spanish , indian and norwegian oil companies are starting to drill for oil in cuba.

because of the 45 year embargo on trading with cuba american companies are spewing that they can't get into the act to drill only 90 miles from home and are trying to get the trade embargo lifted .

biggrin.gif

nipper
post Posted: Feb 12 2007, 10:08 AM
  Quote Post

Hi sue12

I take it you drill on land rigs

I have set up this as a thread for drilling questions. (give that poor AZZ thread a break :- as someone posted - too much information)

I worked on Sedco 135. one of the first semisubmersibles, built early 1960's in USA. Stability was always an issue for semi's and getting the derrick/ weight distribution right. They came up with 3 caissons, theory being that at most orientations, a swell wouldn't hit 2 at once and get it pitching & yawing. worked OK in calm waters; the new generation of semi's with 5 caissons were more stable and could drill in North Sea. But really slow for towing, at a speed of < 2 knots. So then came the twin hulls (with thrusters) and 8 caisson semis and drill ships were built when dynamic positioning (and rotating into swells) came along. Sedco445 was one of the first of this line.

it was 135 because in water less than 135 ft deep it could sit on the sea floor. We did this in Trinidad and nearly capsized when refloating after the mud suction broke unevenly. And it could drill in 600ft of water - a radical innovation; state of the art at the time.

Talk of drilling speeds, or penetration rates, reminds me of one time offshore Angola. on our shift we actually drilled -3 feet. How come? Very unusual circumstances; we were 25Km off the mouth of the Congo river, and believe it or not the water is still fresh. On the surface at least, & for maybe 20-25 ft down. A tide line of vegetation marks difference between fresh (and dirty) and salt (and beautifully clear blue). Because of density difference, the buoyancy changes and one day when drilling in some very hard rock, hardly making any progress, we had to actually keep picking up the bit to maintain the correct bit weight as the rig adjusted when the surrounding water changed from salt to fresh water. The daily log looked weird.

Anyhow, to me there was little glamour. I got my first job replacing a man killed on the drill floor, and quit when two guys on the other shift, including my replacement, got killed when a section of riser fell on them. It could have been me.

Cheers

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING