Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

Reply to this topic

SPORT, Anything about sport
cooderman
post Posted: Jul 20 2017, 04:11 PM
  Quote Post

Anyone into surfing... Classic contest at Jeffereys Bay SA.

http://www.worldsurfleague.com/events/2017...open-j-bay/live

Said 'Thanks' for this post: nipper  

balance
post Posted: Mar 12 2017, 12:14 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Mar 11 2017, 04:20 PM

Maybe just call it a draw like in the good old days? A winner takes all result is not always the best result. If teams are that close, that should be reflected in what they take from the game. Sure it is exciting, but not really fair.

My opinion has swayed a bit. I think in the rounds a draw is a draw. Finals need a winner, so I think extra time as required.

Golden point gives so much opportunity from first use of the ball or profit from one mistake, even a referring error and it is all over, whereas extra time there should be a more even distribution of opportunity.

--------------------
Day Trader: Lowest form of life in the known universe.
Shorter: Can limbo under a day trader.
Investor: Salt of the Earth.Sits to the right of God (Warren Buffet)
Share prices are only ever manipulated down.
Paper losses are not really losses.
Chat site posters always know better & know more than anyone about anything.
I'm 29.
The cheque is in the mail.

henrietta
post Posted: Mar 11 2017, 04:20 PM
  Quote Post

After yet another "Golden Point" result between the Broncos and Cowboys, great matches to be sure, I find it pretty unfair that the losing side gets nothing.
Fair enough in finals, but during the season I rather like JT's answer ......... both teams get a point, then play the Golden Point time for the extra point.
That seems to satisfy all except for the diehard "there must be a winner and a loser " types ....... and commercial TV which wants something to talk about and who cares if it's fair.
Any sides that have battled it out for 80 minutes and are still equal should get something each, and if we must have a winner, then the Golden Point time is legitimate.

I'm a bit of a Bronco tragic coming from near Brisbane, but I think a change would be fairer to all.

However, I can see that the excitement of the extra time would be affected, unless in the latter stages of the season when a point might make a huge difference to a team.

Cheers
J

triage
post Posted: Jan 15 2016, 01:37 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: triage's post @ Jun 22 2015, 03:11 PM

Always good to see people being rewarded for putting in the hard yards and showing some resolve.

... and on that note I can only hope that Bernard Tomic gets blitzed to love in the first round of the Australian Open angry.gif

http://www.foxsports.com.au/tennis/bernard...u-1227710241389

... or maybe even better would be for him to be booted out of the Open. I know you should not judge a book by its cover but just the way the bloke carries himself suggests to me that he is without much character. I could be wrong of course ...

As a follow-up, I happened to watch Tomic play another Australian yesterday (?) and noticed at the end of the game that Tomic was half-hearted in shaking hands with the other player at the end of the game and then only offered the umpire a limp-wrist and a look-away. Again I must be from a different age and a different place but I reckon a hand shake tells you a fair bit (not in all cultures of course, but certainly here).

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

Mozart fixes everything and Messi is a dog

triage
post Posted: Jun 22 2015, 03:11 PM
  Quote Post

Great outcome for the Matildas, to beat Brazil and go into the quarter finals at the world cup.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-22/wome...2?section=sport

and gutsy effort by Jason Day to remain competitive at the US golf open despite suffering from vertigo. Always good to see people being rewarded for putting in the hard yards and showing some resolve.

And a big thankyou to SBS for making the effort to keep delivering major sporting events to our teev (both the women's world cup in Canada and the under 20 mens world cup from NZ). It would appear that the ABC has pretty much given up any attempt to do what it used to do and that is promote sport. It cannot be all about money as I'm sure SBS gets a lot less funds than auntie. And now Foxtel has bought up almost all of the BBC entertainment programs there is bugger all worth watching on the ABC or iview imo.

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

Mozart fixes everything and Messi is a dog

henrietta
post Posted: Feb 27 2015, 07:15 PM
  Quote Post

Is this a rather carefully chosen headline in the Age ?? biggrin.gif

James Hird is not appealing

Cheers
J

boy
post Posted: Jan 12 2015, 05:51 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: boy's post @ Jan 11 2015, 04:01 PM

On the other hand they could be giving her more rope (no offense intended to African Americans).
Reminds me of Maradona's hand of God. Hows he doing these days.

boy
post Posted: Jan 11 2015, 04:01 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Jan 11 2015, 12:42 PM

She is a champion and commands respect. Her indiscretions are tolerated.

Alethia
post Posted: Jan 11 2015, 02:24 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Jan 11 2015, 12:42 PM

Because she is black and all whities are racist pigs.

--------------------
The caterpillar does all the work but the butterfly gets all the publicity.

henrietta
post Posted: Jan 11 2015, 12:42 PM
  Quote Post

Can someone explain to me how Serena Williams can call a chair umpire a " liar" and not be disqualified ?

Cheers
J

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING