Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

160 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

NEWS PAPER OR MEDIA ARTICLES, ANYTHING INTERESTING
mullokintyre
post Posted: Jun 11 2019, 06:20 PM
  Quote Post

At the risk of getting into a brawl, i had a good larf while watching a local boy, rapper Adam Briggs on Q and A last night.

Q and A

“I don’t think a lot of people are that attached to the actual anthem,” he added. “It’s only 35 years old. I don’t think anyone is really that attached to it because the song’s just not that good.”

Not that goos eh? Well, I guess we are all allowed an opinion on that.
So i had a quick listen to some of Briggsys rap music via youtube..
Hmm, not sure if I would rely on him for music guidance.
To paraphrase, "his music is not that good".
Violence and crudities seems to be his forte.

I guess using the old proverbs about pot, kettles and black is inappropriate on this occasion.

Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

triage
post Posted: May 28 2019, 12:55 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ May 28 2019, 12:07 PM

What? Forget about the pathetic battery hen, why no mention of the rise of that all conquering, all devouring Australian Bin Chicken?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4dYWhkSbTU

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

Mozart fixes everything and Messi is a dog

Said 'Thanks' for this post: Pendragon  nipper  

nipper
post Posted: May 28 2019, 12:07 PM
  Quote Post

Some 540 million years after life began to bloom on Earth during the Cambrian period scientists say that we are entering a new geological chapter: the first created by Man.

The Anthropocene epoch marks a new phase of the planet’s history, where mankind is the dominant influence on climate and the environment.
Panel members will gather in Berlin today to discuss the next step, an attempt to find a “golden spike” — a definitive geological feature that will serve as a reference point for the Anthropocene epoch’s onset.

A proposal would be submitted to the International Commission on Stratigraphy, which oversees the official geologic time chart. A final set of votes would then be held on whether to recognise the Anthropocene formally.

The appearance of radioactive fallout from hydrogen bomb tests in the 1950s until the Limited Nuclear Test Ban Treaty of 1963 is the leading candidate for an official marker.

However, scientists will also look at fly ash, airborne particles that are the result of burning fossil fuels. Plastics, which have already started to become part of the geological record, started to appear in increasing volume during the 1950s and the use of concrete also soared. Fertiliser use increased, meaning that the forms of nitrogen and phosphorus that are locked in rocks formed today will be different from those that preceded them.

Others have argued that the Anthropocene could be recognised as “the age of the chicken”, a reference to an extraordinary explosion in the number of factory-farmed chickens, which now outweigh all other birds on the planet. Humans eat an estimated 65 billion chickens a year.

“The modern [chicken] is now so changed from its ancestors that its distinctive bones will undoubtedly become fossilised markers of the time when humans reigned the planet,” one recent analysis said....
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/world/the-...bedac975b12fa28

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

Said 'Thanks' for this post: Pendragon  

triage
post Posted: May 24 2019, 07:37 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ May 22 2019, 01:27 PM

nip - I listened to his interview on the Swagman podcast and in that interview he was very specific he was talking about Sydney markets, and more so the north western suburbs. He was asked what he thought about the Melbourne market and he said he had no opinion. The metric he was using was loan size over household income. He said that initially he was told by bankers that the maximum they would lend was 6.8 times household income but when he made enquiries of some mortgage brokers they were able to offer bank loans at over 10 times his stated household income. Hempton said he had no idea what percentage of mortgage loans in the Sydney market was above the 6.8 times banks themselves advised were the maximum. He said if only 5% of bank loans were over the maximum then no big deal but if it were 30% or 50% then that could trigger a major economic recession.

I thought the biggest statement Hempton made in that interview was his belief that the RBA will not defend the AUD and that so in an economic downturn it will be the AUD that crashes to buffer the rest of the economy from much of the pain.

My understanding is that whilst Hempton and his hedge fund is based in Sydney both his clients and his investments are mainly in the US and Europe. Anyway if you think he's a doomster then go for it, I have no particular dog in that fight.

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

early birds
post Posted: May 23 2019, 10:20 PM
  Quote Post

trish regan
i kinda remember she use to work at CNBC right??
now she talks like trump now. lmaosmiley.gif
to be fair -----USA printed greenback day and night for last 30 years or so, the value of the greenback backed by their military power and american living in heavens and doing nothing.
on the other hand----chinese steeling most of the industral produce rights from everyone around world, and use the dictatorship to take advantage from capitalism to achieve their economic miracles

now they both want a fight. end game is-------no good for everyone!! imho

funny to see trish go wild lmaosmiley.gif . she representing a lot american i guess..

nipper
post Posted: May 22 2019, 01:27 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: triage's post @ May 22 2019, 12:16 PM

and neither did I. I reported his views, noted the outlier as headline/ clickbait, and provided the link. Any comments I made about crashes were of a general nature, as an observation replying to balance.

"" he says any housing market and economic "crash" will likely come to a "medium landing" "" sounds like a crash to me

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

triage
post Posted: May 22 2019, 12:16 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ May 22 2019, 10:43 AM

He didn't call a crash. From what I can see he said that in the worst case scenario prices would drop x% and the AUD would drop y%. He also provided another scenario, one that he thinks more likely, where the outcomes would be far less dire.

The differences from Steve Keen and John Hempton is that Keen is an academic and Hempton is a money manager and that Keen spoke in absolutes and Hempton appears to be speaking in probabilities. Hempton would be crazy (and broke) if he did not look at all scenarios and to be ready to adjust depending on which scenario plays out.

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: May 22 2019, 10:43 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: balance's post @ May 22 2019, 10:29 AM

Correct. Call a crash often enough, and you are likely to be right sooner or, most likely, later !

--------------------

balance
post Posted: May 22 2019, 10:29 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ May 22 2019, 07:39 AM

It gets his name and his firm's name in the press at least. If property drops that far we are in serious, serious crap.

He's probably doing a Steve Keen without the rash promises.

--------------------
Day Trader: Lowest form of life in the known universe.
Shorter: Can limbo under a day trader.
Investor: Salt of the Earth.Sits to the right of God (Warren Buffet)
Share prices are only ever manipulated down.
Paper losses are not really losses.
Chat site posters always know better & know more than anyone about anything.
I'm 29.
The cheque is in the mail.

Said 'Thanks' for this post: early birds  

nipper
post Posted: May 22 2019, 07:39 AM
  Quote Post

John Hempton reckons houseprices in non aspirational suburbs "of NSW and outer Melbourne,where house prices are high compared to the area's income, " could fall by up to 85% and currency drop to 40c to the USD ..... but doesn't give a timeline or trigger(s). He bases it on extreme ratios that would "revert to mean".

https://www.afr.com/real-estate/residential...20190521-p51pjw
...But he says any housing market and economic "crash" will likely come to a "medium landing" mainly because price falls will be isolated to suburban sub-markets and Australia's flexible currency will act as a shock absorber....

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: early birds  

160 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING