Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

109 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

"English as she is spoke", Our language and its quirks
mullokintyre
post Posted: May 7 2019, 02:40 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: triage's post @ May 7 2019, 02:24 PM

Yea, I got the subtelty in that Triage.
Nice one.
Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

triage
post Posted: May 7 2019, 02:24 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ May 7 2019, 12:26 PM

Mick - I was thinking the same thing. I've known a couple of wallopers who've worked in a PM's protection unit. I would think the bloke on duty will cop some stick from his mates and perhaps a bit more from his boss. The young lass with the egg looks harmless enough and generally we expect our bodyguards to be a bit more discreet than say the yanks. But still, that's a breach.

(also my "shocking!" was not my reaction but more a weak attempt at a play on the journo using "unphased" [as in electricity] in place of "unfazed").

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

Mozart fixes everything and Messi is a dog

mullokintyre
post Posted: May 7 2019, 12:26 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: triage's post @ May 7 2019, 12:15 PM

Looking at the news footage, doesn't show the body guards in a great light.
Kinda shows how easy it would be to actually do some harm to a PM.
Someone with a knife rather than an egg would probably have a more tragic outcome.
Interesting that the protester was thrown out of the building rather than being arrested (at least the news report mentioned nothing about being arrested).
Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

triage
post Posted: May 7 2019, 12:15 PM
  Quote Post

"He appeared unphased in the minutes after the incident..."

Shocking!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-07/scot...-trail/11087174

The protestor probably used an organic free range egg, if she'd only used a cheap cage egg the eggshell would not have been so hard to crack.

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

nipper
post Posted: May 3 2019, 12:06 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: triage's post @ May 3 2019, 11:47 AM

ha ha. Very droll, Monsieur Blagueur

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

triage
post Posted: May 3 2019, 11:47 AM
  Quote Post

From the ABC about Adani hitting a hurdle on how it will look after a native finch at its proposed coal mine.

"Last night, the proposed coal mine was dealt a massive blow when the Queensland Department of Environment and Science (DES) rejected Adani's current management plan for the southern black-throated finch. It told the Indian miner ..."

In the ACT there is an active trapping and killing campaign for the introduced bird pest, the Indian Myna. It seems like the Indian Miner is being as much of a pest for both major political parties and apparently for a native finch as the Indian Myna is for native birds in general.

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: nipper  

nipper
post Posted: Apr 22 2019, 03:22 PM
  Quote Post

I thought travelator was clumsy. The Indians have gone further:
The station will be 150m from the terminal. There will be a corridor with walkalators for passengers to reach the terminal from the station. They will have to take an escalator or elevator to reach the arrival or the departure level..

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

henrietta
post Posted: Mar 16 2019, 07:22 AM
  Quote Post

A car colided into a pedestrian which led to a bloody altercation using an axe.

and

The 75-year-old driver who was known to the pedestrian, was later taken to Liverpool Hospital for an unrelated medical condition before returning back to the police station early Friday morning.

Our intrepid Australian young journalist's articles could improve with some proofreading.

Cheers
J

nipper
post Posted: Feb 27 2019, 09:48 PM
  Quote Post

A rich heritage
Experienced mariners are full of rollicking tales and curious quirks of language.

By PENNY HUNTER

I have spent some time recently in the company of experienced (but not ancient) mariners. They are always full of rollicking tales about life at sea. They’ve also introduced me to a host of nautical customs and turns of phrase. One of these gems is now in regular use at mealtimes in my household: no elbows on the table. That is, unless, the offender has gone around both the Cape of Good Hope and Cape Horn under sail.

The story goes that when press gangs were searching for crew to kidnap and force into service on ships, they would scour harbourside pubs for sailors eating with arms propped on the table. These would be men who had developed the habit at sea to prevent their plate from sliding away in rough weather. Their bad manners meant they had plenty of nautical miles under their belt.

My son, who hasn’t sailed around Sydney Harbour let alone the capes, is the main culprit at our dining table. Sometimes we are at loggerheads (a long handle with an iron ball attached used to seal pitch in deck seams that also made a handy weapon), but as a parent I try not to be overbearing (position a ship so as to steal another’s wind).

During sleepovers, he and his mates are told to pipe down (the bosun’s last whistle, signalling lights out) at midnight or there’ll be the devil to pay (the unpleasant task of caulking a ship’s longest seam down in the bilges). When discipline is required, there’s no need to swing a cat (o’ nine tails), not that there’s much room to do so in his disaster area of a bedroom. Fortunately, he’s no son of a gun (born out of wedlock between the cannons on a ship’s gun deck to an unknown father), so I have his dad to help lay down the law.

On a recent trip at sea, the ship my travel companions and I were sailing on was so beautiful I wondered if we should set up a slush fund and build our own. What I didn’t know was that this would entail scraping the leftovers, or slush, from a barrel of salt meat to take ashore and sell for a few pieces of silver.

At one point, a fellow traveller was feeling a little “under the weather”. In times past, this would have meant he was on watch on the windward side of the bow, at the mercy of gales and waves. In our floating five-star hotel, he simply retired to his airconditioned quarters. He hadn’t needed to pay extra to get a posh (port outward, starboard home) cabin with good ventilation. We just gave him a wide berth.

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: indeficit  

henrietta
post Posted: Feb 1 2019, 06:02 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: alonso's post @ Feb 1 2019, 01:25 PM

Does not sound right, and I like your version better. Too many words between "can't" and "read" .

Cheers
J

109 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING