Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

444 Pages (Click to Jump) V  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > »    

Reply to this topic

OIL, Discussion
nipper
post Posted: Dec 14 2017, 10:36 AM
  Quote Post

Hopefully oil, but more likely condensate and gas
The final report from the Scientific Inquiry into Hydraulic Fracturing in the Northern Territory draws on a series of CSIRO studies in gently and consistently debunking the bank of shibboleths that sustains a wide community of critics of unconventional drilling generally and fracturing specifically.

The panel reported, for example, that the risk of sub-surface breaches of well integrity was 0.1 per cent and that several studies had found that a critical breach had never occurred.

For good measure, the panel found that even in the unlikely circumstances of a critical breach of the well casing there was little or no risk that waste water could migrate into potable aquifers or that leaking gas would cause human or environmental harm.

The study reported that evidence from the US suggested there was "significant potential" for accidental spills of fracturing chemicals and fluids and waste water. But like pretty much every other independent assessment of shale or coal seam drilling, the study found that the real risk lies at the surface rather than under the ground.

"However, while there have been more than one million fracture stimulations [fracturing] treatments in North America and more than 1300 in South Australia's Cooper Basin, there has been no reported evidence of fracturing fluid moving from the fractures to near surface aquifers," the report noted....

Read more: http://www.afr.com/business/energy/gas/pep...0#ixzz51BsxtQ8j
this may be good for Santos and others, looking at NT prospectively. (though the "uninformed but opinionated" SJW crowd may not be swayed - stretching their intellectual pretensions a bit too far, if previous exhibitions are maintained)

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

blacksheep
post Posted: Dec 13 2017, 07:02 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: blacksheep's post @ Dec 13 2017, 10:10 AM

World Bank to stop funding oil and gas projects
Valentina Ruiz Leotaud | about 6 hours ago
The President for the World Bank, Jim Yong Kim, said Tuesday the institution will stop all lending for oil and gas projects after 2019, with the exception of certain gas projects in the poorest countries facing exceptional circumstances.

http://www.mining.com/world-bank-stop-fund...l-gas-projects/

--------------------
The herd instinct among forecasters makes sheep look like independent thinkers. Edgar Fiedler

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. George Washington

blacksheep
post Posted: Dec 13 2017, 10:10 AM
  Quote Post

Why big oil is slowly turning green
https://www.axios.com/why-big-oil-is-slowly...2515973927.html

--------------------
The herd instinct among forecasters makes sheep look like independent thinkers. Edgar Fiedler

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. George Washington

nipper
post Posted: Dec 12 2017, 10:00 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Nov 23 2017, 09:30 AM

[In the North Sea], the Forties Pipeline System, one of the most important oil conduits in the world, is to be fully halted after a crack was discovered, the link's operator Ineos said. Repairs will take about two weeks, according to a spokesman.

The announcement boosted pricing that had been largely muted over the last week following an OPEC-led agreement by major producers to extend output curbs through the end of 2018. The Brent rally in London pulled New York futures up to near $US58 a barrel.
Tapis priced off Brent; Xmas pump prices unlikely to drop.

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

nipper
post Posted: Nov 23 2017, 09:30 AM
  Quote Post

.. there is some visibility here in the oil price, given:
- the high degree of OPEC compliance and the strong likelihood of an extension to the output cut agreement;
- the drawdown in US inventories;
- declines in global storage;
- solid world demand especially from oil-hungry emerging markets;
- and a geopolitical risk premium coming back into the market because of the uncertainties now over the Iran deal which sits in Congress and these tensions between Iraq and the Kurds.

The shape of the curve doesn't lie and the recent move from contango to backwardation is an added sign of how tight the crude market has become.
David Rosenberg, Chief Economist & Strategist, Gluskin Sheff

Why oil could be back to $US80 a barrel a year from now - Jim Rogers
...with trend lines for the Brent crude oil spot price and the five-year forward price. I have long defaulted to watching the five-year forward price for lack of a more fundamentals-based approach to thinking about the equilibrium price of oil. The Brent crude oil spot price is less subject to speculative fluctuations, and is thus a purer approximation of underlying commercial supply and demand factors.

The chart I prepared – which was made before the latest oil-price acceleration in early November – shows the five-year forward oil price picking up after a period of some stability. With the spot price having now moved above the five-year forward price, one could conclude that a trend change is under way. For my part, I'm unsure; but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened. ...
Read more: http://www.afr.com/opinion/columnists/why-...m#ixzz4zCqofGp0

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: early birds  db76  

cooderman
post Posted: Nov 7 2017, 07:39 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Nov 7 2017, 05:38 AM

Another big night for Oil. It now seems overbought and some bears may get the pullback they are waiting for, although 55.70s
spot WTI could now become support.

Attached Image

nipper
post Posted: Nov 7 2017, 05:38 AM
  Quote Post

Oil pierces two-year high as Saudi round-up rattles markets
  • by Jessica Summers
Oil prices have climbed $US15 from their nadir this year to more than $US57 a barrel, spurred by a cascade of events that began with widespread arrests among Saudi Arabia's elite. Dozens of princes, government ministers and billionaires were arrested in a sweeping anti-corruption probe, including high-ranking officials involved with state oil producer Saudi Aramco.

The arrests raise "the specter of instability in the kingdom," said John Kilduff, a partner at Again Capital LLC, a New York-based hedge fund, by telephone. "It's another round of jawboning here to get this nervous market higher."

Futures surged as much as 3 per cent in New York to levels last seen in July 2015. Though the [Saudi] shake-up .... underpinned crude's rally, a promise by Nigeria's oil minister to cap production joined with the dollar's drop to add upward momentum as the day progressed.

Oil-market news:
  • Oil stockpiles at the key pipeline hub in Cushing, Oklahoma, rose by 400,000 barrels last week, according to a forecast compiled by Bloomberg.
  • Nigeria is ready to meet with the Niger Delta Avengers and other armed groups in the southern oil-rich region, Reuters reports, after the militants ended their truce.
  • U.S. oil rigs targeting crude dropped by eight to 729 last week, the biggest decline since May 2016, according to Baker Hughes data.
Bloomberg

- a " case of don't fight the Bulls " indeed ! Good call, Cooderman

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: cooderman  

cooderman
post Posted: Nov 4 2017, 08:38 AM
  Quote Post

It's a case of don't fight the Bulls at the moment, although some EW traders are calling wave 5 near completion. You would have to
have some respect for their methods, if they are correct.

Attached Image

Said 'Thanks' for this post: nipper  

cooderman
post Posted: Oct 30 2017, 09:25 AM
  Quote Post

Daily close above April high. Real strong Res. next at 54.60s. A pullback to test the breakout point, wouldn't be a bad thing.

Attached Image

Said 'Thanks' for this post: nipper  

cooderman
post Posted: Oct 30 2017, 09:15 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Oct 29 2017, 07:27 PM

Not another Frackinginquiry. tongue.gif

444 Pages (Click to Jump) V  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING