Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

155 Pages (Click to Jump) V  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > »    

Reply to this topic

NEWS PAPER OR MEDIA ARTICLES, ANYTHING INTERESTING
mullokintyre
post Posted: Nov 10 2018, 03:58 PM
  Quote Post

From ABC NEWS

Hassan Khalif Shire Ali was born in 1988. He and his family moved from Somalia to Australia in the 1990s.

Police say his family is well known and respected within the Somali community in Melbourne.

They attended the Virgin Mary Mosque in Hoppers Crossing, west of Melbourne.

Shire Ali most commonly attended prayer in Melbourne's northern suburbs.

Now that is something I would never have expected.
The Virgin Mary Mosque??
But its for real!

Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

Said 'Thanks' for this post: triage  

draughtsman
post Posted: Nov 8 2018, 08:08 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Nov 8 2018, 07:35 AM

I like the context of thought bubbles.
The just might be the trigger for something to be done or stimulate another thought bubble that advances the idea a bit further.
cheers

--------------------
draughtsman

You don't know what you don't know

henrietta
post Posted: Nov 8 2018, 07:35 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Nov 7 2018, 08:36 PM

Ah yes, you do have to be a "celebrity" to rate a mention. The name of the game is video or sound bites, no real news or research required or wanted.

Cheers
J

mullokintyre
post Posted: Nov 7 2018, 08:36 PM
  Quote Post

Another Billionaire telling the rest of us what we need.

FROM ABC NEWS

Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has called for Australia to reinstate the controversial carbon price, as he pushes to influence government policy with his new green energy campaign.
Mr Cannon-Brookes said the "movement", dubbed Fair Dinkum Power, would put forward policy suggestions around renewable energy ahead of the upcoming election, with the aim to move Australia to "200 per cent renewable energy".

"I think it will clearly be the number one or number two issue in the election," he told 7.30.

But then a little further on he makes the following statement

"The biggest kind of thing we can do I guess is put in place a carbon price," he said.

But he conceded "politically it's incredibly unpopular, so it's probably not going to happen."

I find it hard to reconcile how on one hand , he says that the carbon price will be number one or two in the election, and on the other hand says it is politically incredibly unpopular.
Maybe he knows a few things about software development, but he knows precious little about politics..
"Australia could be a renewable energy super power.

"We could be exporting massive amounts of power, we could have huge numbers of jobs here in this space.

No explanation of how we export renewable energy power,, just a thought bubble.
My mate Bob Carroll down the road is a power engineer.
He also has opinions on renewables, and probably is eminently qualified to do so, as least from an engineering perspective.
However, no one wants to interview him, despite having a distinguished career with the SEC then with Powercor.
I guess the problem is that hes not a Billionaire.

Mick

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: nipper  

henrietta
post Posted: Nov 4 2018, 07:35 AM
  Quote Post

Responding to Mr Yunes in an open letter, the migrants said the governor's decision to withdraw his offer to help transport people hundreds of kilometres was unacceptable.

The "refugees" heading across Mexico to the US.

Don't you love these people who "demand their rights" as soon as they enter a free country.

Cheers
J

Said 'Thanks' for this post: Pendragon  mullokintyre  

mullokintyre
post Posted: Oct 30 2018, 08:24 PM
  Quote Post

So now the Nuclear weapons are becoming old hat.

Introducing the deadly tungsten pole.

That's how Project Thor came to be.

Instead of hundreds of small projectiles from a few thousand feet, Thor used a large projectile from a few thousand miles above the Earth. The "rods from god" idea was a bundle of telephone-pole-size (20 feet long, 1 foot in diameter) tungsten rods, dropped from orbit, reaching a speed of up to 10 times the speed of sound.

The rod itself would penetrate hundreds of feet into the Earth, destroying any potential hardened bunkers or secret underground sites. More than that, when the rod hits, the explosion would be on par with the magnitude of a ground-penetrating nuclear weapon— but with no fallout.

the deadly rod

Mick

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: nipper  Pendragon  

mullokintyre
post Posted: Oct 16 2018, 08:09 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: triage's post @ Oct 16 2018, 06:01 AM

Not shooting blanks??
How do you know the postman didn't jump the fence??
I would be looking for the DNA paternity tests.
Mick

--------------------

triage
post Posted: Oct 16 2018, 06:01 AM
  Quote Post

The lead story in this morning's Early AM on ABC radio was ... confirmation that the sixth in line for the pommy throne is not shooting blanks .... really? this is the most pressing issue of the day? ... how pathetic are we that this is anything other than a human interest filler ... anyway going on that lot's form I'd probably wait for the test results before getting too cocky.

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

Mozart fixes everything and Messi is a dog

nipper
post Posted: Oct 12 2018, 04:05 PM
  Quote Post

Questions have been raised about the Australian Financial Review's decision to sign a content-sharing agreement with a Chinese media outlet subject to Chinese Government oversight.

The Fairfax newspaper signed a deal in Sydney this week with the Beijing-based Caixin Global, which paves the way for the two outlets to publish each other's content.

Caixin is seen as the most influential financial news outlet in China and is widely regarded as one of the most outspoken and reputable in a tightly-controlled environment.

But experts warn there are no completely independent Chinese media outlets...........
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-12/aust...ontent/10354938

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

nipper
post Posted: Oct 5 2018, 06:31 PM
  Quote Post

Sans Forgetica
Sans Forgetica is more difficult to read than most typefaces - and that’s by design. The 'desirable difficulty' you experience when reading information formatted in Sans Forgetica prompts your brain to engage in deeper processing.

http://sansforgetica.rmit/

Stephen Banham, a lecturer in typography at RMIT who helped create it, told RN Drive San Forgetica was actually a good font to discuss on the radio because it was designed on a highly conceptual basis.

"Sans Forgetica is a typeface that's been specifically designed with features in it such as back-slanting and little gaps inside the letters," Mr Banham said.

The unexpected elements encourage the reader to take more notice, he said, triggering memory because of the effort required to process the text.

"Sans Forgetica in some ways subverts the conventional reading process … [which] really exists through reading a very familiar form - a familiar form of the letter, a familiar form of the word outline," he said.

Sans Forgetica slows that process down, he said, demanding that the reader's mind complete the circles and verticals of the distorted letters..........
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-05/sans...r-text/10339668

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

155 Pages (Click to Jump) V  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING