Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

162 Pages (Click to Jump) V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »    

Reply to this topic

NEWS PAPER OR MEDIA ARTICLES, ANYTHING INTERESTING
henrietta
post Posted: Jul 21 2019, 07:44 PM
  Quote Post

A successful politician in India has just died. With the name, Sheila Dikshit , I wonder how successful she would have been in good old Oz ? smile.gif

Cheers
J

Said 'Thanks' for this post: mullokintyre  

henrietta
post Posted: Jul 11 2019, 08:47 AM
  Quote Post

The inquest also heard from Simon Coffey, the director of Q-dance Australia, which runs the Sydney Defqon. 1 dance musical festival, the largest annual dance music festival in Australia. Mr Coffey said he had been “abso­lutely devastated” by the deaths of Diana Nguyen, 18, and Joseph Pham, 23, who died of MDMA overdoses at the 2018 festival.

He said Australia’s harm reduc­tion approach had failed young people by “demonising” and “panicking­” them at festivals, where they would be forced to walk through a “wall of police” and sniffer dogs. In countries such as The Netherlands, police had no involve­men­t in drug law enforcement, Mr Coffey said.

..... or ....... if you take illegal drugs you might well die, and it will be entirely your own fault.

Cheers
J

nipper
post Posted: Jul 10 2019, 07:44 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Jul 10 2019, 05:48 PM

.. the Folau saga ...
the (almost unwatchable) 7.30 Report tonight introduced an item with .. "the Israel Folau scandal" (my emphasis). Really! How long before these irony-free (expletive deleteds) start to advocate Re-education Camps

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

henrietta
post Posted: Jul 10 2019, 05:48 PM
  Quote Post

As the Folau saga drags on, Izzy's wife also came under scrutiny, but at least the netball association shows a little common sense.

Did have a little smile to myself when I read this comment from England player Geva Mentor...

“There is no room for homophobia in netball and we have players that are (gay) in England and Australia, and it is putting them in uncomfortable positions.”

Cheers
J

Said 'Thanks' for this post: mullokintyre  

henrietta
post Posted: Jul 5 2019, 04:35 PM
  Quote Post

ECX says this today, as it sells off Graysonline and areyouselling.

Alongside the sale, the company said it was progressing its simplification program including resizing its cost base, resetting its corporate debt facilities and establishing a defined strategic direction.

Eh ?? weirdsmiley.gif

Cheers
J

nipper
post Posted: Jul 4 2019, 10:28 AM
  Quote Post

fire destroyed a massive Jim Beam warehouse filled with about 45,000 barrels of ageing bourbon in Kentucky, and state officials worried that run-off whiskey seeping into nearby waterways would .....

https://youtu.be/rL4J-XIAKvw

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

nipper
post Posted: Jul 3 2019, 02:17 PM
  Quote Post

Russian President Vladimir Putin caused a tea-cup storm on the eve of a summit of the world’s 20 largest economies with this searing observation:
“Every crime must have its punishment. The liberal idea has become obsolete. It has come into conflict with the interests of the overwhelming majority of the population”.
Western leaders lined up to condemn him. European Council president Donald Tusk sneered that he “strongly disagreed”. “What I find really obsolete is authoritarianism, personality cults and the rule of oligarchs,” Tusk said.
- Clash of Civilisations?!

--------------------

alonso
post Posted: Jun 19 2019, 11:10 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Jun 18 2019, 11:28 AM

There is only one useful government intervention and that is "real" investment, in the form of long term

benefit public works paid for through long-term borrowing. All just imo.

--------------------
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears this is true"

"What is prudence in the conduct of every private family can scarce be folly in that of a great kingdom." Adam Smith

Said 'Thanks' for this post: Pendragon  henrietta  

nipper
post Posted: Jun 19 2019, 10:46 AM
  Quote Post

Social media, as we know it, in short, is a failed experiment. The world is moving on, and Facebook is trying to move with it. ✔

Jack Dorsey, the controversial co-founder and CEO of that other social media company, Twitter, has [acknowledged] the failure of social media, embarking this year on what has amounted to a prolonged apology tour where he's been long on self-loathing but short on self-improvement (perhaps because there is no easy way to fix social media: handing a megaphone to every nutter on the planet was never going to end well).

"I also don’t feel good about how Twitter tends to incentivise outrage, fast takes, short term thinking, echo chambers, and fragmented conversation and consideration," Mr Dorsey tweeted, in just one of many mea culpas.
John Davidson

--------------------

mullokintyre
post Posted: Jun 18 2019, 11:28 AM
  Quote Post

AAARRGGGHHHHH! Bloody economists strike again!

FROM ABC NEWS

]Economists say the policy of large-scale money printing by the Reserve Bank is now on the table, and it needs to be discussed more openly.

Key points:
Should the Reserve Bank begin large scale money printing, it could lead to billions being pumped into the economy
It would also have the effect of further lowering interest rates
Many view it as a "last resort" policy, but some experts suggest it should be strongly considered
"The Reserve Bank needs to start preparing the public," United States Studies Centre program director Stephen Kirchner said.

The Sydney University-based centre has been studying the use of money printing in the US, and argues Australia could benefit from the lessons it learned.

The Reserve Bank itself has mentioned the possibility of quantitative easing as an option if cutting interest rates no longer has the desired effects of boosting inflation and economic growth.

So, what is "quantitative easing", or money printing as it is colloquially dubbed?

Like any other business, the Reserve Bank has assets it lists on its balance sheet, including cash.

If it were to engage in quantitative easing it would spend that cash by buying bonds from the Government or the corporate sector, effectively flooding the economy with billions of dollars of extra money.

It would also have the effect of further lowering interest rates.

That is because large scale-bond purchases drive up the price of bonds and lower their yield (or interest rate).

Those lower interest rates filter through to other parts of the economy and can drive down the cost of business loans and mortgages.

Dr Kirchner wants to get the word out that quantitative easing is not a "last resort" policy, as many view it, and it could be the shot in the arm the Australian economy needs.

"There's nothing exceptional or unusual about quantitative easing," Dr Kirchner said.

"It's really just a change in the operating instrument for monetary policy from the official cash rate to outright purchases of assets."

Ha, there's noting exceptional or unusual about qualitative easing.
But that hardly makes it a good idea.
Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

Said 'Thanks' for this post: nipper  early birds  

162 Pages (Click to Jump) V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING