Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

178 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

NEWS PAPER OR MEDIA ARTICLES, ANYTHING INTERESTING
jacsar
post Posted: May 23 2020, 10:41 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: triage's post @ May 23 2020, 09:18 AM

Hi triage, could you please give the title and name of the author of the book mentioned ...thanks in advance...jacsar

mullokintyre
post Posted: May 23 2020, 07:29 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: early birds's post @ May 22 2020, 09:55 PM

Mick will be happy with his gold and silver holding!!

I doubt gold and silver will be of any more use than copper or iron or Aluminium if there is a war between the superpowers.
No one wins, we are all losers.
Its just that some of the people who run things are bigger losers than the rest.
Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

triage
post Posted: May 23 2020, 09:18 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: early birds's post @ May 22 2020, 09:55 PM

EB - no, not a cornered animal. My own view is that it was always China's intention to erode away HK's independence over time. Just as it has always been the CCP's intention to finally defeat the KMT and take over the island of Taiwan. Mao wanted to finish the job in the late 40's but Stalin wouldn't let him so it has been a burr in their saddle cloth for over 70 years.

I've just finished off a book by an ex-senior US military bloke, who spent time as a defence attache in Beijing and then on their National Security Council. He is firmly of the opinion that the Chinese believe that the military option is not the way to go so have engaged in what he calls a total war, where they use diplomacy, trade, culture, IT, and other things to gain all the things they want. A simple example is that Margaret Thatcher agreed to hand HK back when it was pointed out to her that if China cut of the electricity and water it was providing to HK the colony would collapse in a matter of days. They might send in the troops to kill off the last of the resistance in HK in coming months or years but that battle was effectively fought and won decades ago with no need for violence.

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

Mozart fixes everything and Messi is a dog

Said 'Thanks' for this post: Pendragon  

early birds
post Posted: May 22 2020, 09:55 PM
  Quote Post

https://www.afr.com/world/asia/china-moves-...20200522-p54vjm

the nightmare situation happens step by step.

that is what happen when you try to corner a animal whom with sharp claws and teeth.
when chinese dosen't have any more incentive to keep current states quot , then, first HONG KONG, next is Tawan.
and USA gonna intervene, then war break out between US and China.....then there will be nuke bomb......
bleak picture?? the possibility is increased big time now.

Mick will be happy with his gold and silver holding!!

nipper
post Posted: May 17 2020, 09:13 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ May 17 2020, 08:37 PM

it's worse than that. As I understand it, the salaries of most UN (and presumably other IntOrg) employees are included in a country's aid budget. Bugger all gets to recipient nations ....

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

mullokintyre
post Posted: May 17 2020, 08:37 PM
  Quote Post

It seems that Hipocracy is alive and well in many places.

Here is a tweet reporting that Pascal Saint-Amans – Director for the OECD Centre for Tax Policy and Administration – believes that a post-COVID world will have zero tolerance for tax avoidance.

Of course when you don't pay tax yourself, its ok to demand that everyone else does.

from the OECD perks page

"The basic salary is specified in the offer letter and is payable in euros, as are all other allowances (family-related allowances, expatriation and installation). Emoluments (basic salary and allowances) are payable in arrears, with the exception of the installation allowance which is payable on taking up duty.
Emoluments are exempt from taxation in most Member countries of the Organisation, including France."

Mick

--------------------

Featured Stock Stories

mullokintyre
post Posted: May 17 2020, 08:37 PM
  Quote Post

Duplicate post

--------------------

mullokintyre
post Posted: May 12 2020, 09:42 PM
  Quote Post

Investors are dumb as dishwater.

From Wolfstreet

Uber Lost $3 Billion on $3.5 Billion in Revenues. Fake “Profitability” Delayed. Another Quarterly Horror-Show. Markets Eat it Up
by Wolf Richter • May 7, 2020 • 143 Comments
This hoped-for fake “profitability” isn’t profitability, but “Adjusted EBITDA,” Uber’s own homemade creature.
By Wolf Richter for WOLF STREET.
Uber – which announced another round of mass-layoffs this week of 3,400 folks or 14% of its staff – reported another classically horrendous quarterly loss this evening.

Revenues rose 14% in the first quarter, ended March 31, to $3.5 billion. But operating expenses, despite cost cuts and the series of layoffs, jumped by 16% to $4.8 billion. And there were “other expenses” of $1.8 billion and interest expenses of $118 million, a tax benefit, and a couple of other things. And the net loss tripled to $2.94 billion.

It’s astounding that investors don’t throw in the towel on a company that is over 10 years old and has many thousands of employees but still loses nearly $3 billion on $3.5 billion in revenues.

In Q1 2019, its last pre-IPO quarter, Uber lost $1 billion on $3.1 billion in revenues, according to its earnings report today. In Q1 2020, it lost $3 billion on $3.5 billion in revenues. This is not a propitious trend.

Almost as silly as investing in oil explorers.
Mick

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: triage  

mullokintyre
post Posted: May 8 2020, 03:01 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ May 8 2020, 01:29 PM

Nah, hes a politician who let the girl take the heat for the ruby princess inquisition from Brett walker.
Standard fare from them.
Got nothing going for him - white, male, conservative .

Mick

--------------------

henrietta
post Posted: May 8 2020, 01:29 PM
  Quote Post

After all the NSW coronavirus disasters, politician Brad Hazzard has this to say ,

Mr Hazzard said he was sorry about the high number of deaths but maintained that NSW was “leading the world” in its containment of the virus.

Does he have no shame ? Is he delusional?

Cheers
J

--------------------
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." Satchel Paige

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

178 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING