Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

6 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

AGL, AUSTRALIAN GAS LIGHT COMPANY
blacksheep
post Posted: Mar 4 2019, 02:03 PM
  Quote Post

Sad but true sadsmiley02.gif
Australia planning to import LNG: What's next? Coals to Newcastle?
MELBOURNE (Reuters) - Australia is on the verge of becoming the biggest exporter of liquefied natural gas, with dozens of tankers a week carrying fuel to North Asia. It could also soon be importing LNG as supply sources in its southern states run out

ADVANTAGE TO AGL
AGL, Australia’s No.2 energy retailer, is the furthest ahead with its import plan. Pending a state environmental review, it expects to make a final investment decision by early 2020, targeting first imports in 2021.

read more - https://www.reuters.com/article/us-australi...e-idUSKCN1QK0PD
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
The herd instinct among forecasters makes sheep look like independent thinkers. Edgar Fiedler

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. George Washington

blacksheep
post Posted: Aug 9 2018, 03:05 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Aug 9 2018, 02:22 PM

That should have read trebling "profit" - not "prices" - apologies. But the trebling profits are due to higher (?%) prices smile.gif

--------------------
The herd instinct among forecasters makes sheep look like independent thinkers. Edgar Fiedler

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. George Washington

nipper
post Posted: Aug 9 2018, 02:22 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: blacksheep's post @ Aug 9 2018, 02:02 PM

but prices didn't treble.

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

blacksheep
post Posted: Aug 9 2018, 02:02 PM
  Quote Post

As a shareholder one would be pleased with trebling prices - as a consumer, who receives exorbitant electricity bills, you'd be far less chuffed
AGL full year profit almost trebles on higher electricity prices

Energy generator and retailer AGL has reported a near trebling of full year profit, a result supported by higher power prices and favourable hedging contracts

AGL's 2018 net profit of $1.6 billion rose 194 per cent from the previous year of $539 million.

Its underlying profit, which excludes one-off items and changes in value in investments and hedging positions, rose 28 per cent to $1.02 billion, at the upper end of the company's guidance.

The full year dividend increased 29 per cent to $1.17 per share.

"This increase in prices in the broader electricity market has mostly been a result of the abrupt closure of non-AGL power stations such as Hazelwood in 2017 and Northern in 2016 and higher input costs from coal and gas," AGL chief executive Andy Vesey said.

"In this environment, we recognise that many Australian households are facing cost-of-living pressures because of the higher energy bills that have resulted from higher market prices."

Shares tumble on flat outlook
While the result beat most analysts' forecasts, a downbeat forward guidance weighed heavily on AGL's share price.

"Earnings momentum is now slowing," Mr Vesey said.

AGL's guidance for 2019 was flat-to-soft, with profit forecast in the range of $970 million to $1.07 billion.

A 29 per cent increase in full year dividend to $1.17 per share failed to placate investors with shares tumbling 4 per cent in early trade (10:45am AEDT) to $21.11.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-09/agl-...ection=business
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Apr 27 2018, 06:43 AM
  Quote Post

AGL has now committed to the first stage of its NSW generation plan, which included a 100-megawatt upgrade of Bayswater power station, a solar off-take to provide 300 megawatts, a “demand response” program that would encourage customers to use the equivalent of 20 megawatts less power, and the Tomago gas plant.

CEO Andy Vesey said they were still looking at stage two, which included another 500 megawatts of gas. With all of the stage one elements in place, Mr Vesey said there was enough power to “address the capacity shortfall that may occur as a result of Liddell closing”.

“We are optimistic that the National Energy Guarantee will provide sufficient policy certainty to enable market participants such as AGL to invest with even greater confidence in cleaner, more reliable and more affordable energy generation.”

“Electricity generation is undergoing an increasingly rapid transition to lower-cost, clean renewable energy and storage technologies.”

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

Said 'Thanks' for this post: early birds  

batikit
post Posted: Oct 12 2017, 01:10 PM
  Quote Post

triple bottoms

looks similar to the same pattern in BKL a while back , fancy a massive break ?
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

blacksheep
post Posted: Sep 7 2017, 07:49 PM
  Quote Post

AGL suspends household battery installations for Adelaide's cutting-edge Virtual Power Plant
By political reporter Nick Harmsen
Updated 30 minutes ago
Power giant AGL has ceased installations of household batteries in Adelaide as part of a trial "Virtual Power Plant" and is flagging a change of battery technology, but won't confirm if it is experiencing problems with its current product.

The scheme went live in March and has seen hundreds of households install with Sunverge batteries, heavily subsidised by AGL and the Federal Government's renewable energy agency ARENA.

Under the scheme, flagged as "the largest project of its kind in the world", AGL has the power to simultaneously discharge power from the batteries into the grid, helping secure the grid when needed

AGL stays quiet on possible technical troubles

AGL would not respond directly to the ABC's questions about whether there had been problem with the current Sunverge battery technology.

A company spokesman said "the SA Virtual Power Plant pilot is successfully working as a pilot should — new technology is being tested in the market and based on lessons learned, the program is being adapted".

Attached Image

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: May 3 2017, 02:10 PM
  Quote Post

http://reneweconomy.com.au/agl-kills-idea-...-cheaper-63013/

Not new news, gas was always for 'peaking'

--------------------

birnam
post Posted: Mar 9 2017, 12:14 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Mar 9 2017, 09:30 AM

A quick squiz at the AEMO website suggests annual (not dispatch, daily or monthly) wholesale prices have been pretty steady.

https://www.aemo.com.au/Electricity/Nationa...age-price-table

The transparency of a carbon price of, say, $50, and no LGCs is the best we could hope for. AEMO clamping down on generators gaming dispatch prices might help too. My opinion, of course. Not going to happen because both Right and Left are wedded to their idealogical and political hobbyhorses.

You decry privatisation. Of the big States, the one dominated by government owned generators is Qld (CS Energy and Stanwell Corp, about 3/4 installed capacity between them). Both are now required to maximise their financial performance to satisfy their common shareholder, ie the government.

nipper
post Posted: Mar 9 2017, 09:30 AM
  Quote Post

Something's got to give. I notice on my ASX app (when it's working) on the "Energy" dropdown, all E coast wholesale power prices had a nasty jump late 2016 and remain stubbornly high.

And not a particularly virtuous set of influences at play:
- privatisation (part)
- RET and political quotas for so-called zero emission sources
- looming gas shortages ... abetted by export LNG demand and likely shortfalls
- closure of coal fired baseload stations; Hazelwood then ?

It's a mess and lack of uncertainty (dithering) in policy (would a Lambie or Hanson ever comprehend?) is a huge disincentive to invest in any asset; so while easy to 'blame someone', the reality is consumers - domestic & wholesale/ industrial - are in for expensive AND unreliable power in the years ahead.

--------------------

6 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING