Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome To The ShareCafe Community - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Smart Investors - New Here? Click To Register >

497 Pages (Click to Jump) V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > »    

Reply to this topic

SLX, SILEX SYSTEMS LIMITED
mistagear
post Posted: Jan 17 2013, 02:03 PM
  Quote Post

Out of SLX today, slightly lower than my target but that will do me

--------------------
------------------------
[url="http://xgamesbowling.com"]X Games Bowling[/url]
Bear Cottage is the first children's hospice in NSW.

It is a place where children with terminal illnesses and their families can stay from time to time and receive rest and medical care in a home-like environment.

Please support >>> Bear Cottage for Kids,
An initiative of the Children's Hospital at Westmead NSW
http://www.bearcottage.chw.edu.au/

www.xgamesbowling.com

moosey
post Posted: Jan 17 2013, 12:41 PM
  Quote Post

http://scienceblog.com/52948/solor-towers-...s-by-up-to-20x/

Solar 'towers' beat panels by up to 20x

Intensive research around the world has focused on improving the performance of solar photovoltaic cells and bringing down their cost. But very little attention has been paid to the best ways of arranging those cells, which are typically placed flat on a rooftop or other surface, or sometimes attached to motorized structures that keep the cells pointed toward the sun as it crosses the sky.

Now, a team of MIT researchers has come up with a very different approach: building cubes or towers that extend the solar cells upward in three-dimensional configurations. Amazingly, the results from the structures they've tested show power output ranging from double to more than 20 times that of fixed flat panels with the same base area.

The biggest boosts in power were seen in the situations where improvements are most needed: in locations far from the equator, in winter months and on cloudier days. The new findings, based on both computer modeling and outdoor testing of real modules, have been published in the journal Energy and Environmental Science.

"I think this concept could become an important part of the future of photovoltaics," says the paper's senior author, Jeffrey Grossman, the Carl Richard Soderberg Career Development Associate Professor of Power Engineering at MIT.

The MIT team initially used a computer algorithm to explore an enormous variety of possible configurations, and developed analytic software that can test any given configuration under a whole range of latitudes, seasons and weather. Then, to confirm their model's predictions, they built and tested three different arrangements of solar cells on the roof of an MIT laboratory building for several weeks.

While the cost of a given amount of energy generated by such 3-D modules exceeds that of ordinary flat panels, the expense is partially balanced by a much higher energy output for a given footprint, as well as much more uniform power output over the course of a day, over the seasons of the year, and in the face of blockage from clouds or shadows. These improvements make power output more predictable and uniform, which could make integration with the power grid easier than with conventional systems, the authors say.

The basic physical reason for the improvement in power output — and for the more uniform output over time — is that the 3-D structures' vertical surfaces can collect much more sunlight during mornings, evenings and winters, when the sun is closer to the horizon, says co-author Marco Bernardi, a graduate student in MIT's Department of Materials Science and Engineering (DMSE).

The time is ripe for such an innovation, Grossman adds, because solar cells have become less expensive than accompanying support structures, wiring and installation. As the cost of the cells themselves continues to decline more quickly than these other costs, they say, the advantages of 3-D systems will grow accordingly.

"Even 10 years ago, this idea wouldn't have been economically justified because the modules cost so much," Grossman says. But now, he adds, "the cost for silicon cells is a fraction of the total cost, a trend that will continue downward in the near future." Currently, up to 65 percent of the cost of photovoltaic (PV) energy is associated with installation, permission for use of land and other components besides the cells themselves.

Although computer modeling by Grossman and his colleagues showed that the biggest advantage would come from complex shapes — such as a cube where each face is dimpled inward — these would be difficult to manufacture, says co-author Nicola Ferralis, a research scientist in DMSE. The algorithms can also be used to optimize and simplify shapes with little loss of energy. It turns out the difference in power output between such optimized shapes and a simpler cube is only about 10 to 15 percent — a difference that is dwarfed by the greatly improved performance of 3-D shapes in general, he says. The team analyzed both simpler cubic and more complex accordion-like shapes in their rooftop experimental tests.

At first, the researchers were distressed when almost two weeks went by without a clear, sunny day for their tests. But then, looking at the data, they realized they had learned important lessons from the cloudy days, which showed a huge improvement in power output over conventional flat panels.

For an accordion-like tower — the tallest structure the team tested — the idea was to simulate a tower that "you could ship flat, and then could unfold at the site," Grossman says. Such a tower could be installed in a parking lot to provide a charging station for electric vehicles, he says.

So far, the team has modeled individual 3-D modules. A next step is to study a collection of such towers, accounting for the shadows that one tower would cast on others at different times of day. In general, 3-D shapes could have a big advantage in any location where space is limited, such as flat-rooftop installations or in urban environments, they say. Such shapes could also be used in larger-scale applications, such as solar farms, once shading effects between towers are carefully minimized.

A few other efforts — including even a middle-school science-fair project last year — have attempted 3-D arrangements of solar cells. But, Grossman says, "our study is different in nature, since it is the first to approach the problem with a systematic and predictive analysis."

This is probably a better article on this which I found later
http://www.asme.org/kb/news---articles/art...rd--not-outward

--------------------
All posters Please note, the decision to either buy or sell this share is entirely the individuals choice, I am not authorised to give investment advice, I post here to discuss the merits of technology as I see it, which may or may not be correct? and any information here is worth what you paid for it! the moose is loose

Said 'Thanks' for this post: grevillia  

lgrif
post Posted: Jan 10 2013, 10:56 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: moosey's post @ Jan 10 2013, 09:37 AM

Once read an article by a retired investment advisor saying he used to spruke to clients "..its not timing the markets, it's time in the markets", but (having retired) he now says "that was bullshit"!

I wondered how his ex-clients felt on reading that.

moosey
post Posted: Jan 10 2013, 09:37 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mistagear's post @ Jan 9 2013, 07:50 PM

Quote from Warren Buffet, "Short term the stock market is voting machine, long term it is a weighing machine".

another old saying is "it isn't timing the market, it is time in the market"

--------------------
All posters Please note, the decision to either buy or sell this share is entirely the individuals choice, I am not authorised to give investment advice, I post here to discuss the merits of technology as I see it, which may or may not be correct? and any information here is worth what you paid for it! the moose is loose

mistagear
post Posted: Jan 9 2013, 07:50 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: moosey's post @ Jan 9 2013, 04:16 PM

Moosey,
We are likely to disagree on reasoning, seems you work on fundamentals, valuations and mostly disregard sentiment, where I work on sentiment and mostly disregard fundamentals and valuations.
I do thank you for your reply but think best I leave it that we agree to disagree. For the moment we are both long this stock, thats about as close to consensus its going to get.
Regards, M

--------------------
------------------------

It is a place where children with terminal illnesses and their families can stay from time to time and receive rest and medical care in a home-like environment.

www.xgamesbowling.com

moosey
post Posted: Jan 9 2013, 04:16 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mistagear's post @ Jan 9 2013, 03:37 PM

If you had come to this board and said, OK so and so isn't going to happen with this company and here is the reason why I say this and here also is a link to back up what I am saying, I would have accepted you in a much better light.

If you had done this in the first place instead of posting " but wasn't it widely accepted that the deal SLX did to license their methods to GE was SO crap" something that was so dead wrong, with no link and in fact was just utter BS, then I would value your input a great deal more, in other words if you add some value to the conversation rather than trying to tell us the company is failing and we should have sold at $13, then I would been far more impressed, I don't mind any discussion on Silex be it good or bad, but you had better have your links to back up what you say, or at least have a plausible opinion about the company based on some facts, after all, it is only an opinion, we all have one I suppose, but at least I try to show a method to my madness.

--------------------

Featured Stock Stories

mistagear
post Posted: Jan 9 2013, 03:37 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: moosey's post @ Jan 9 2013, 01:07 PM

Moosey,
You dont love me ? I'm so shattered. Dont I get a medal just for participating ? so sad.
I am sorry a different view has managed to upset you Moosey.

--------------------
------------------------

www.xgamesbowling.com

moosey
post Posted: Jan 9 2013, 01:07 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mistagear's post @ Jan 9 2013, 11:43 AM

I don't really know why you are here in the first place, are you trying to tell us how clever you are? or are you here to save us?

You sound like a generation X or is it Y, not sure which it is? someone who needs instant gratification, someone who is not prepared to wait, OK you keep going on with that, but leave us people be who are prepared to put their cash into something worthwhile and see it through, hopefully this company has something that may benefit the whole world one day, not just a few impatient people who have no interest in what a company does.

I wish there was an ignore function on Sharescene, you would be on it!

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: mistagear  

mistagear
post Posted: Jan 9 2013, 11:43 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: moosey's post @ Jan 9 2013, 09:52 AM

Moosey,
Dont take it so personally, neither the Market nor the Company care what you buy or sell. You are simply making a purchase of a second hand electronic widget. Except for when SLX needs cash to burn, it cares nothing if the share is trading at $10 or $2 and it does not care about you.
If you held shares at a price you thought was not realistic and did not sell as price fell, more fool you. If you sold at $10 and bought back at $2, you would be 5 times better value now. If you had shorted at $10 and covered at $2 you would be 10 times better off. Would that have made any difference to SLX ?
As far as knowing about SLX, I'm buying or selling a widget, all that matters is what buyers and sellers do after I enter the trade and is totally controlled by them. That mainly depends on sentiment at the time. Rarely does value equal price as you have noticed.
Good luck to you if you choose ramp up this stock and trade in a particular manner, the market does not care, SLX does not care and whilst I wish you no misfortune, either do I care

--------------------
------------------------

www.xgamesbowling.com

moosey
post Posted: Jan 9 2013, 09:52 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mistagear's post @ Jan 6 2013, 02:29 PM

"Can I ask, how much has price declined since you first started posting affirmatively on here ?"

I wasn't going to reply because really it's none of your business, but those who know me, know I got the majority of my holding at 80c cents, I am an investor, I look for companies that have something which I believe will one day be recognized as being the best of type in the world, I am not a speculator or someone who shorts or trades regularly, for one I doubt that I would get it right about knowing when to buy or sell, but more importantly I try to put my money into something that is worthwhile I would like to see the company become a world leader in it's field, I want to support them in this effort in my own small way, those people I mentioned before don't help the company one bit except save for providing some liquidity I suppose, but you could never say they helped the company to any great extent with any monetary support that the company relied on.

There is obviously much that you don't know about Silex, they aren't just in the one field (enrichment) they have many irons in may fires, but I guess to someone like you, that makes absolutely no impact on how you see the company?
As others have pointed out to you, the figure you keep quoting was never ever a realistic figure at that time, but I believe it will be in the future, and hopefully much more, that is where I will make my money if they succeed, I see no reason to think differently at this time, because what I see only gets better every day, I can see why some would say it is taking forever, but in any scientific endeavor there are usually the obligatory delays, but nothing of true and lasting value ever comes easily.

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: grevillia  

497 Pages (Click to Jump) V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING